VOTE for Volumio next feature!

A decent support to large music libraries would be appreciated. Maybe also a decent database implementation? Maybe these two are linked? It takes more than 2mn of CPU time on my RPI4 to “load” the full library at each boot… And much more on RPI3… A bit long isn’t it?

In my opinion, the best solution is to separate the music library from the player, especially if you have a large library. Set up a dedicated UPNP server running on another Rpi using AssetUpnp or Minimserver. They both have a decent db for sorting, indexing, and serving up your music. They are dedicated for this purpose.

This way you take any extra work off the Volumio player for possible better SQ (lower noise, less cpu work on the player).

I want volumio has support “KKBOX “hifi muisc service

A shared index or database could be good. Now every device needs to build its own database. (or you would need to do a manual copy)
A dedicated database server would be overkill for most people but a plug-in to use a centralized other volumio or dedicated system can be a great addition.

Qobuz connect would be great.

2 Likes

Not sure if SiriusXM is a North American thing only, but I would love to see a plug-in for that.

1 Like

Call me a wet blanket, but I would rather effort go into software security and stability first rather than new bugs features :wink:

So in my view:

LongTerm All of the above ;-)
MediumTerm Stability and improve codebase
ShortTerm Upgrade the Volumio Core from EOL software

– We are running on a lot of unsupported/End Of Life software currently –
Jessie was EOL June 30, 2020
Node v8 was EOL December 31, 2019

10 Likes

Non of the above… but what would really improve Volumio is auto folder scanning for new material on start up. (If Swinsian and Audirvana can do this why not Volumio) and a prettier slicker interface with alphabetical searching and better visuals for the album artwork like Lumin, Esoteric and Audirvana have.

1 Like

+1 for this one. I would sleep my night better if it would be possible to change the password as the current arrangement is a bit on the dangerous side of safe.

2 Likes

Agreed! The web UI often is not responsive at all, which can be very annoying. If this is due to technical limitations which are coming with a web front-end, you’re better off focusing on an alternative solution, such as direct control via Bluetooth. Other streaming solutions come with a remote control out of the box. This is essential homework which I would like to see done before other, fancier things are implemented.

1 Like

I totally agree with @chsims1
A good polish to Volumio is definitly required and will make it shine even more.

P.S. Thank you for TIDAL CONNECT. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree, security and stability first, new features second (of course always welcome).

Many thanks to the volumio Team. Great job! :slight_smile:

Tidal connect is very nice.

would like to have an integration for deezer

I would love to have an easy and importable playlist support. Even the current playlist, besides not editable in an easy way, sometimes just doesn’t work.

1 Like

Like a lot of other people who responded I think the list falls into the nice to have category. I’d like to see a UI that doesn’t look like a screen scraped mainframe application. I understand that a lot of people like a picture background. I’d like to see at least one solid color based scheme that’s legible. None of them offer enough contrast between text and background. The shutoff/reboot control should be on the main screen. The play and volume controls should be visible in both portrait and landscape modes. It should be easy to access the settings from the main screen without having a sidebar.

One feature I’d like to see is the ability to use internet radio as an alarm. I’m presently using MPD with a cron job. The inability to put a radio station on a playlist, which is trivial with MPC, makes the alarm function in Volumio not very useful for me.

Another feature I’d like to see, now only supported in a third party plugin, is auto resume. I often want to go all the way through a playlist over several sessions.

I would be very interested in Primephonic integration. I have been in touch with them regarding this request, and will continue to encourage this direction. Thank you.

A suggestion: “newly added” as an option alongside playlists and favourites. Newly added could contain anything added to the database since the previous sync. That way you could quickly find your new music :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d love integration with Google Home (+ Alexa) like Sonos has - “hey google, play x in the kitchen” and it plays on Volumio.

2 Likes

Great job!