[Volumio] with new rpi zero W

I confirm what macmpi and others posted works on the ZeroW. Downloaded and installed Volumio 2.118 this evening, added the bcm2708 file to /boot (for Windows users, this is the only partition Windows File Explorer can access on a freshly imaged sd card). Booted the Pi, gave it a few minutes, then connected to the hot spot and started configuring for my home network. I also confirm sound works with a cheap USB dongle and micro-USB-A adapter. The ZeroW and RPi Foundation case makes a nice package.

"@gingemonster Can you please correct or remove the link in your post, as it points to a misleading version of the file?

So again, method is (note: the fix is already included from Volumio 2.129 image):

• Flash Volumio 2.118 image
  • download this file on your PC/Mac/whatever
  • copy it in /boot partition of SD
  • put SD back into Pi, RTM :wink:, and enjoy (let first boot take at least 10mn to be safe, not related to this fix)

@jmvolumio no putty/ssh involved here."

Greetings from Bogota - Colombia

Execute all the steps indicated, on my raspberry pi zero w.
It is connected to my WiFi at home. At the start it takes about 2 minutes to connect to the wifi network, it responds ping.
I could not get output sound, because I do not have a HAT.
I have a question: Does the HDMI mini port, allows audio output?

Thank you,

Gonzgonc

Yes it should.
I have a PiZero (not W) using HDMI out with no problems: works out-of-the-box.
You may check, set & save ā€œOutput Deviceā€ setting accordingly in Volumio ā€œPlayback optionsā€ webUI.

Has anyone got aPi Zero W working with a Justboom DAC (or similar)?

Not yet but Real Soon Now. Mine is working with a cheap USB DAC (see my post up thread) and I will have it working with a JustBoom Zero amp (for a boom box project) soon after it arrives. (which might be before the weekend - USPS says a package with what looks like an international tracking code arrived at the regional facility today. Time to get out the soldering station and install a header on the W.) I am confident it will work quite nicely - I have a Justboom DAC on a Pi3 and the hardest part of the install was cutting slots for audio jacks in the case (I am using it with a Pi touchscreen and one of the official cases).

1 Like

Ks1g, iā€™d be interested to know how you get on. Iā€™ve tried but with no luck.

Iā€™ve had a look in the log:
volumio mpd[1769]: alsa_output: Failed to open ā€œalsaā€ [alsa]: Failed to open ALSA device ā€œhw:1,0ā€: No such file or directory
volumio mpd[1769]: output: Failed to open audio output
volumio mpd[1769]: player: problems opening audio device while playing ā€œhttp://listen.radionomy.com/musicwire-livethesoundā€

Iā€™ve also used the aplay command:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Iā€™m new to this, so donā€™t know what the above means, but iā€™m guessing that it means the Justboom DAC is not being found??

Alsa canā€™t see your device. You need to check that there is an appropriate driver present.

Follow up - life got in way and I didnā€™t get around to installing the header on the Pi ZeroW until late this week. 1 hiccup the fault of the ModMyPi case (mounting spacers it comes with are too thick, so the JustBoom Amp Zero doesnā€™t seat properly onto the header pins). Went to the thinner spacers that came with the amp and tried again. I had to go back into the setup menus to select the JustBoom Amp as my dac, and had to cycle through the volume control settings a few times (either I fat-fingered something or mis-configured the settings). Works now, no obvious issues.

Iā€™m running Volumio 2.118 (Mar 7 2017) with the manually installed wifi driver as discussed up thread and in other threads here.

Comment on the JustBoom Amp Zero - nice unit, can be powered from the Pi Zero (a few watts out, sufficient for personal listening or to make sure it works), much better with an external supply (the amp ships with an adapter plug that works with the recommended 15V supply). The package without the supply is VERY small (Pi Zero footprint 2 boards thick), so it will lend itself to boom box and powered speaker projects. Sound level and (very dependent on speakers) is good for personal listening and for a modest size room.

I have the same problem with raspberry pi zero w and fxaudio d802, anybody can suggest something?

Thank you
Matteo

I found the solution,
on config.txt need to add dtoverlay=dwc2

Matteo

Hi there,
I confirm this solution is working very good !!!
I donā€™t know what is exactly do this line, could you explain please ? :slight_smile:

Thanks Matteoā€¦

This enable a specific usb driver for pi zero stored inside device tree folder.

I suggest to replace dtoverlay=dwc2 with dtoverlay=dwc-otg for solve some quality issue at higher bitrate.

i am also willing to install Volumio 2 on a raspberry pi zero W.
I have tried the whole day to make it work properly.

I flashed on my micro SD card the latest volumio image.
using an usb-ethernet adapter i connected to pi and started to configure wifi, but my router was not listed. a lot more other networks were listed, but not my router.
I made a hotspot with my mobile and hot spot was found and connected to it.
The Volumioā€™s hotpot was visible and was able to connect to it.

I can guarantee that is no hardware related problems or router related problems because using the RASPBIAN STRETCH LITE image, everything works fast and smooth, with router. Wifi stable and no complications.

I have to say that i installed also moode audio, but the behavior is the same.

I have also tried to make an update and upgrade.
I did also the firmware upgrade, upgrade was successful but after reboot crashed and stopped working.

any advise would be helpful

If you intend to connect to your home wifi router, please make sure you turn off Volumio Hotspot (whicle you connect with ethernet dongle).
Can you check on which channel is your home wifi router?
You may need to set your country location.

yesterday before reading your answer, I found out that the firmware for on-board wifi has a problem with channels above 11 (11 is working).

I reached to this point becase the same behavior I observed using a Raspberry pi 3.

Indeed, my router was set in auto, for channel number. Forcing it to a channel lower than 12, made everything work.

Thank you for fast response.

Good that you found a workaround.
In fact, it is not a firmware ā€œproblemā€ with channels 12/13, it is a country-based regulation enforcement: to enable use of those channels, you need to set your device as running in country that authorize those channels.
Your router is properly set most probably so it eventually use them.
If you set your Pi accordingly, then it will also use them fine (same rule enforcement apply on other devices/computers).

But of course you can do the opposite and force your router on another channel, but this may limit dynamic channel assignment to avoid interference with neighbors.

@Jhd13
Iā€™m running the Justboom Amp and Justboom DAC on the Zero W. Till Version 2.246 without any Problem. Since the latest Version booth got the ALSA issue. There are some threats regarding this issue and it should be fixed in the next version ā€¦