[Volumio] with new rpi zero W

hum…really weird: so probably not a power issue then.
You may want to check if dwc_otg.speed=1 in /boot/cmdline.txt has any effect as per this.

Just received my brand new Raspberry Pi Zero W, the new Zero with onboard wifi (same as on the Raspi 3).
Sadly the hifiberry dac+ zero was sold out already :frowning:

together they will form the nicest little volumio player complete with wifi :slight_smile:

Anywhoooo… i toasted a new SD card with the volumio 2 pi image and booted my little zero… which crashed every boot… no matter what i try, i will either run into a kernel panic or boot into maintenance mode.

According to the last message of this post : volumio-rpi-zero-t3797.html
volumio 2 should work fine on the zero. but i guess that is not the case for the zero W.

Anyone had any luck getting it to work ?

(my bad, only found the zero post, not this zero W post… sorry for double posting, thank you for moving my post here)

Ok thanks u, i will check this and keep u inform :wink:

with this file in /boot of SD card

So I guess we can put this topic as solved for now.

Hi,

Unfortunatly, after add this line into cmdline.txt, the problem is still there : Error : Failed to open output audio
and finaly, with the hub USB, it’s not working too with this parameter. (dwc_otg.speed=1)

here the file :
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 $imgpart=/dev/mmcblk0p2 imgfile=/volumio_current.sqsh elevator=noop rootwait smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N dwc_otg.speed=0

if u see other mistakes :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I read you set the parameter =0 not =1 as proposed.
Also I would put all the dwc_otg related stuff together (though not sure it may change things).

I’m running out of ideas, and this USB issue is probably very specific to your setup: glad you can get it working still with your hub.

Others mainly reading this for the PiZero W Wireless support should not be mistaken by this follow-up thread: temporary solution exist and has been described in previous posts.

sure ! i’ve tested with dwc_otg.speed=1 and so, ever with the hub, it’s not working…

I’ll keep the hub :wink:

Otherwise, all is working good in Volumio 2, i feel that rpi zero W is more powefull than the pi zero 1.3 with Volumio.

Hi,

I have read through this thread trying to get volumio working on my new pi zero w but I cant get it working, please can I check I have understood the process needed:

1. Download latest volumio image and write to SD card (done and I can see three partitions and access a drive called boot in windows)
  2. Download this “bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb” from the latest firmware repo for the raspberry pi LINKE REMOVED AS INCORRECT
  3. copy this to the “boot” drive I can see in windows
  4. put SD in pi and boot

The above is what I have tried, the pi activity light comes on briefly but then doesnt keep flashing (like I would normally expect it to) and after 10 mins looking at the partitions on the SD card I can see it hasnt expanded to fill the disk.

I have also tried just using the fresh volumio image and that seems to boot and resize the partition but obv no wifi. I dont right now have access to hdmi or OTG cables to debug this easily. I also tried copying everything from the latest pi firmware boot folder and that also seems to boot but no wifi hotspot appears.

Can someone confirm Im not doing something stupid!

Thanks
B

It’s likely the file you downloaded was from master (i.e 4.9.x) branch, rather then from stable (4.4) branch.
Please take this one from stable branch as Volumio is still on 4.4.9
Again, this is hack-ish interim support, until Volumio kernel is upgraded to a more recent version supporting new devices for good.
(It is not advised to update the Volumio kernel by yourself at this stage as this may break lots of stuff).

macmpi you are a genius! thanks so much for this, in the end super simple.

Thanks
B

Hi all,

I’m getting stuck at the 3rd step, which no one else seems to have a problem with: how to putty into the pi zero w to start.

I downloaded the latest version of Volumio and flashed it to an sd card
I downloaded bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb and copied it to the boot drive
How do I putty into the Pi Zero W at this point?

A terribly n00b question. Sorry.

It’s pretty straightforward, but you need to know the IP address of your Pi (from router or “fing” on your mobile). Have a read through of the guide here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/windows.md

@gingemonster Can you please correct or remove the link in your post, as it points to a misleading version of the file?

So again, method is (note: the fix is already included from Volumio 2.129 image):

• Flash Volumio 2.118 image
  • download this file on your PC/Mac/whatever
  • copy it in /boot partition of SD
  • put SD back into Pi, RTM :wink:, and enjoy (let first boot take at least 10mn to be safe, not related to this fix)

@jmvolumio no putty/ssh involved here.

Thanks. I’m confused about how that would work, though. It assumes that the Pi Zero has an IP address on the network, but since it doesn’t have a wired network connector and the wifi isn’t configured when it starts up, how does it get an IP address? All it has is a USB cable connected to the USB port on the Zero. I must be missing something pretty basic here.

I answered your immediate question without looking back over the remainder of the posts The “third step” involves copying the file (in the link from macmpi https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/stable/boot/bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb) to the /boot of your sd card (in a card reader).

We must be talking at cross purposes, then. I’m trying to ssh into my pi zero, but can’t figure out what address to connect to in putty. I can’t look up the address in my router because the pi isn’t connected to the network. It’s not connected via an ethernet jack because it doesn’t have an ethernet jack and the wifi isn’t connected because I can’t ssh into the pi to configure it.

Here’s what I’ve done:

Installed Bonjour on my Windows 10 box
Flashed the latest Volumio for Pi image to my ssd card
Copied bcm2708-rpi-0-w.dtb to the /boot directory via file explorer
Put the ssd card into the pi zero
Connected the pi to my computer via the “USB” connector on the pi
Waited 15 minutes
Tried to Putty in using “volumio.local” and “raspberrypi.local” as the address, but these don’t work

Am I missing a step or two? Do I need to do the standard Pi Zero steps and modify the config.txt and cmdline.txt and add a blank ssh file to the /boot directory? What is the default address that I should use in Putty?

Thanks

Ok, then, you may have another issue on top.
At first boot Volumio creates an own wifi network so that it can get configured: do you see Volumio SSID with another computer?
Then you need to connect to it (password: volumio2) and configure from there with web UI (192.168.211.1)
User manual is here.

Bingo! I had been searching online for how to connect to a volumio pi zero w, so I never saw the general instructions that talked about a default wifi network. Thanks so much!

Yes, always good to RTM :wink:

BTW, and just for fun, you can use PiZero in gadget mode and use its USB as “ethernet interface” to your Mac/PC -> this gives you another cheap network interface for the unit with no adaptors necessary (with a little bit of extra setup). More of this in this thread if interested (let’s keep this topic focused).

Yep. That’s what part of my confusion was. I could do that with the raspian image, and therefore assumed (I know, I know) that it would work approximately the same in this case. It never occurred to me that Volumio would be able to set up its own temporary wifi network.

Learn something(s) new every day.