Volumio v3.233 on Tinkerboard S - Check Updates broken :/

Hi,
Since the last updates v3.233 - Check Updates doesn’t work !
When i click on “check updates” button, a popup “checking for updates” “please Wait” appear and stay stuck for ever.
From ssh with the command :
volumio@volumio:~$ volumio updater forceupdate
Checking for new Updates

and stay also stuck.

I double checked my network parameters ! I also changed my DNS.

volumio@volumio:~$ ping updates.volumio.org
PING updates.volumio.org (149.210.234.235) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 149-210-234-235.colo.transip.net (149.210.234.235): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=32.7 ms

volumio@volumio:~$ host updates.volumio.org
updates.volumio.org has address 149.210.234.235

I checked log… i found nothing
I also reinstalled my system from a fresh new image. Same results
It must be a bug introduced with version v3.233…

Thanks for your help !

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you so much for the prompt report!
We will be our first priority to fix this issue, avoiding possibly the software IMG reflash.

We are already working on it.

Thanks for the patience!

At soon with updates

Davide
Volumio Tech Support

1 Like

We already confirm the issue, and working on a fix. Don’t worry it will not require reflash

2 Likes

I am getting the same issue with a Volumio Primo on the same V3.233.

Though I am curious as to how this might get fixed without a complete reflash.

Just wait…

1 Like

Contact our tech support and they will update for you

Please could you give community the trick to fix this issue ? We would love to be able to update to 3.235

We prefer to have our tech guys to help you out with this, since there is the possibility to brick your device.
I think you will agree that it’s better to do it safely

Yes mine is bricked now :upside_down_face:
I’m ready to dissamble it again :wink:
My fault :smiley:

Sorry to insist but before to contact the support and ask for a distance assistance, I would like to understand how a simple “little” bug could leads to a hard brick of my device. I’m an advanced user that could easily ssh everything or and reinstall in case of soft brick. In term of learning, it would be also more satisfying since I love to master my machine. Thank you by advance

It’s not the bug, but the solution you might apply if you do apply it wrong.

We always provide ways to fix things for advanced users, but this time trust us: it’s better to leave this to our support team. This ensures that:

• It’s carried out properly
  • In case it does not work, it’s our responsability, hence we will repair your unit under warranty (we can’t guarantee warranty repairs if you do it on your own…)
  • We do some additional checks to ensure further updates are applied correctly

When you say “we will repair”, what kind of reparation exactly couldn’t be done then across distance assistance in case of problem ?
I hear your point but you seem to ignore our thirst for knowledge. I’ve personally made the choice of volumio primo because of the smart choice of material assembly by volumio, not to be trapped in a closed source and opaque ecosystem.
To be honest, and it’s another topic related, as I’ve already paid a bunch of euros to buy your hardware, I would appreciate that you make things easy (opening the bootloader ?) to install other software (Dietpi, roppie, moode, rune…etc) and that you publish a tool to unbrick system for disaster recovery. Today’s situation is globally frustrating…

Very surprised by this request. So you buy an iPhone and next complain because you want to have Android on it??

We will cover shipment and repair, only if the process done by our technician goes wrong.

I think you are mixing 2 unrelated topics: Primo is an open ecosystem, but you will agree with me that a safety precaution like this has nothing to do with sharing information.

Basically what our technician is going to do is update the squashfs system on your Primo to a later version, that’s it.

Since this operation can go wrong, we prefer having someone competent to do it for you.
Otherwise, how can we discern if you made a mistake when applying this fix? Will you be happy if it has to be sent back for repairs?

This is something we already have. From our experience, asking users to apply this kind of procedure is a mixed bag: some manage to do it properly, some don’t. Considering that in the price you paid there is also the highest support that we can provide, we are happy to remove any hassle from your side.

As for bootloaders and all other info, we already publish them:

A comparison is not an argument. :upside_down_face:
I will never buy an Iphone because I would always prefer the combo “android/opened bootloader/xda community plenty of gorgeous alternative firmware”. It’s two opposite philosophies with freedom as major difference…

Thank you for sharing, I know that not every hardware seller companies are involved in opening their boot loader.Unfortunately my skills are maybe not at the level of my enthusiasm
The fact is that primo is just a tinkerboard with a soudn card and I’m surprised not to easily find forum topics regarding “alternative volumio primo firmware flashing how to”.
If you could point me any interesting source… this would be awesome

I get that, It just a question form my side. As I can’t get my head around the idea, to buy a tailored device, as i would have saved my money and buy a rPi with a DAC of my choosing and do whatever I want with it. But I wouldn’t by a Primo with the intension of putting Dietpi, rune,… on it.

Hi!

Davide from tech support, pleased to help you

Find here the link to book a quick and solving remote session.
Volumio Help Center - Jira Service Management (atlassian.net)

Please always refer to our official support channel for any inquiry, especially the ones related to our product.
Contact Us | Volumio

Thank you so much!

Davide

1 Like

booked thx