Volumio 3 Buster Beta for X86

Don’t know, have to admit not having tried to use it (on any platform).
@volumio may be able to answer this one.

Hi,

just tried x86 beta 2021-05-07-x86_amd64-volumiobuster-3.073
:white_check_mark: Update from 3.068 via OTA worked excellent.

:white_check_mark: This version is perfectly and very fast reacting on every navigation between tracks. Tidal and local tracks can be started, interrupted, skipped, jumped back and forth - excellent !!! :cool:

:x: There is a new issue regarding tidal connect. First I cannot see the volumio device in the tidal app. Finally it appears. Don’t know why… Then I start a track via tidal connect and the track shows up in the volumio UI of the device and it’s counting playback saconds.But there is no output sound. If I start the same track via volumio UI in tidal it plays. This is new because tidal connect worked with 3.068 (except of the hickup at the start of a track where the first second was repeated once before the track played).

http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/yqS5c4H.html

@ the developers - you are close to it !!! Carry on !!! :+1:

Cheers,
Robert

Using 3.073 Tidal connect no longer works on my device.

Now, this morning it works again. Although it first gives me same error message as yesterday after upgrade - error message pops up in Tidal app that I’m not connected to the network.

Hi!

Now tidal connect works well - with the same Version 3.073 as yesterday. Obviously there was a server based issue between Tidal itself and Volumio - not in the volumio device version itself.

Also the repeats of the first second of a track when starting it via tidal connect are no longer there.

Navigation between tracks (local, webradio, tidal) are fast and correct responding without deadlocks. Fabulous!

Excellent!!! :smiley:

This (2021-05-08 servers + 2021-05-07-x86_amd64-volumiobuster-3.073 ) is the best version / combination I’ve seen for many months! Congratulations to the developer’s team!!! :clap: :champagne: :heart_eyes: :partying_face:

Have a nice and sunny weekend!

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Hello everybody,
I am currently running the beta 3.073 version on a dell 13 5368 (2016, 2 in 1, i3 6100U / 2.3 GHz, 4GB DDR4, replaced HDD with an Intel 256 GB SSD). Works very well, sound is excellent on tidal (master) streaming via the CA DAC 200 M connected to laptop with a good quality wireworld usb cable (the dac is mqa compliant - sound quality better than Tidal on win10 application, Audirvana and/or Roon and MUCH more stable with the same 1 GB internet connection).
Here are my findings / remarks related to 3.073:

• could not boot from sd card (similar message to other fellow reviewers - findfs: unable to resolve 'VVID=e etc. + can’t access tty: job control turned off); the ‘official version’ 2.878 worked from sd slot on same machine / same sd card therefore I assume it is smth related to kernel in beta version however, I am not by far an expert in the field.
  • used the 3.068 version which was fine in all important / major aspects but could not update to 3.073 via ota, installed manually after seeing the update on the forum.
  • to boot volumio I am using the same micro sd inserted in a 3eur Chinese usb card reader and I can boot from any of the usb slots of the machine (2 x usb 3, 1 x usb 2), have not installed volumio on ssd; in order to boot: legacy boot in bios, PTT disabled otherwise none of the version, official or beta, cannot be started on this machine. On 2.878 the major problems were the PTT and the internal wifi card cannot create the hotspot, I had to use the TP Link 727 which I have it for 10 years or so and which worked from the box. A newer one called TP Link 1U did not worked on 2.878 due to kernel or missing drivers? This Dell has no RJ45 slot so no wire connection is possible unless an usb adapter is used.
  • Tidal connect works perfectly on both iphone and android when it comes to changing tracks or any other operations but, when the dac is going to standby mode (15 minutes of inactivity) on restarting the dac, in order to get back the tidal connect I have to either restart Volumio or go the webpage on the phone with the machine IP address and reassign the machine to my account by hitting the green button ‘play’. Cannot access the webpage with volumio.local but only with the machine IP address which was not the case on the 2.878 version.
  • there are no plugins available as the other people commented which I assume is on the way.
  • radios are working however, I am not very much interested although the quality of streaming on those broadcasting flac is more than acceptable.
  • all othe features seems to work.

I would say as well that I have tried a node 2i for 2 weeks (borrowed from a friend) and the sound quality on laptop/volumio is better than node with the same setup in terms of stereo equipment.

Congrats and many tahnks for your work.
Best regards from Bucharest.

2 Likes

Hi @trig ,

thanks for your detailed feedback!

did you switch to “Test Mode = TRUE” on the http://your.volumio.address/dev page? The beta versions are only seen by the OTA module if this is configured.

Cheers,
Robert

one more question, @trig , did you try http:volumio.local - that should work (presumed you did not rename the volumio device…). May be your browser’s cache or the operating system below has stored an old IP address for volumio.local in the arp cache. Then you might have to restart the system where your browser is running on.

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks for this report.
Unless I misunderstood, it did start from the SD but failed in initramfs?
I will have a look, perhaps we are missing a module in our initrd.

Hi Robert,
Thanks for your messages and for advices. Will follow your suggestion for updating it should work, my knowledge in Linux is very limited.
I have tried http://volumio.local but it’s not working from either android or iphone. This is not too much trouble as i am using the ip. However, this is only valid for 3.073, in 3.068 and 2.878 it worked.
I assume on next updates will work.

Have a good weekend!
Florin.

Hi gkkpch,

It started from sd but it stops before finalisng the booting process. See the message.

Thanks / nice weekend!
Florin

Hi Florin,
that’s strange - you’re right! :open_mouth:

It does work here with the 3.073 when I try to open the http://volumio.local site from a M$ WIN10 PC (browser: Brave). :white_check_mark:
When I try it from an android mobile or tablet it does end up in an error message (browser: Brave). :x:

Cheers,
Robert

Hi Robert,

Just guessing: flushing the DNS on The Android device should/would solve the problem. Funny thing is today it started to work on iphone but not on android. A soft restart should do the job. I will try later as we are on the beergarden with a group of friends first time after more or less one year!

All the best!

Morning,

Short update on the ‘situation’: the beergarden worked as a charm :slight_smile: but not the connection to volumio from the android device! (yesterday I meant soft reset, restart is just a restart:) ).Should I have tried from the beergarden? :slight_smile:

Best regards and an excellent week to everyone,
Florin.

Hi Florin,
wish the beergardens could open here as well …
Let’s both keep an eye on this strange dns phenomenom…
Cheers,
Robert

The latest update 3.074 has crashed forcing me to reflash 3.073. Failed to mount RPC file sys

Same fro me, reflashed 3.068

I’ll verify, changes should have been ALSA related only, that’s why it is a bit surprising it crashes because of something seemingly unrelated.

The cause of the OTA issue has been located, we unexpectedly bumped against a partition size limit and will correct this asap.

Note
This also means that X86 beta users will have to flash the new version (> 3.074!) once before being able to use OTA for future updates.

@gkkpch : thanks a lot for the fast solution! So the 3.075 has the ota fix already?
(oh no, once again copy of my local music data …) :smiley:
Cheers,
Robert