Volumio 3 Buster Beta for RPi

Did some further testing and it seems that Volumio Buster cannot access Harddrives bigger than 2 tb . With 2 tb and 1 tb drives I’ve got no Probs , but 4 tb or 5 tb Drives will not show up in Volumio Buster . So meanwhile I’am back to 2.907 .

1 Like

Same exact issue here (rpi 4b 8gb topping D70S MQA usb)

1 Like

I’m on the latest beta version. There is an issue with wifi. The connection disappears and I have to use a wired connection. Once reconnected, I have to do a factory reset in order to get wifi working again. But eventually, wifi stops working and I have to repeat the process.

It is the same thing that I have been reporting for a long time. Now I know that it is not a local problem.

Hi

Just an information
On a Raspberry 3 with Suptronics X5000 box, amp & dac, a Realtek USB dongle not supported out of the box
a. downloaded the 083 version
b. downloaded, compiled the specific driver thanks to advices from this forum

sudo wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-drivers/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo install-wifi

c. it worked
d. activated the /dev or /test to have access to the latest version directly from the GUI
e. Everything is working OK for the update and Wifi driver.

= It is a “everything Ok on my side” for this system. Happy to see i don’t have to recompile the driver for each development version with the /dev update

Knowing, that, i might put the /dev version of Volumio 3 on a Raspberry 3 with Kali recloker and Piano 2.1 if somebody would like to have info about Dual Mono issues being there or not.
Would consider it if somebody is interested to see what’s going on.

All in all, have a nice day

IMPORTANT for Volumio 3 beta testing

Since Volumio 3 Beta 3.079 a number of unstable test images have been pushed into OTA (and the download area). The development has reached the stage, where the team is forced to use the official Release Build to test final issues, this appears not quite trivial. Most testers have set their installation in “Test” mode (which was suggested and not corrected by the team afterwards). OTA “Test” mode has always shown all images, including untested or even worse, non-functional test ones.
Some versions were also published in the forum threads which should not have happened, the team apologizes for all that. There was a warning for non-working images from the start (read the announcements), so hopefully you understand and bear with us.

Change of Volumio 3 Beta Policy
Volumio will continue to release images for Volumio 3, but will now make a firm difference between “beta” and “alpha”. Therefore the team would like you to do the following:

• Unset “Test” (OTA) mode and do not set unless instructed in certain circumstances. This will prevent you from getting unstable alpa builds.
  • Please do not forget to unset afterwards when such an exception was the case.

OTA “Test” mode “disabled” (beta) will get you a Volumio 3 beta build which is at least tested by the alpha testers.

OTA “Test” mode “enabled” (alpha) can still be used (we advice against), but please be aware and understand: do NOT start forum discussions or ask for support.
Unless: in pre-communicated, pre-selected circumstances (e.g. where we would like you to re-test a reported issue before releasing it as stable beta).

Final Beta Testing notice
The Volumio team has had many, many reports where people do not send any information at all, let stand the version of the beta software they are testing with. Please give the team a chance to help with our problem. “Latest version” has no value, two days later “latest” may be moot, remember, you agreed to help the team. It is not the developer job to chase the version you may have meant, he needs facts.

Also, whenever possible, add a log for the team to work on, the more logs they have, the higher the chance to get the issue resolved. Preferable from a fresh reboot, with minimal steps to reproduce the problem :slight_smile: Learn about it here

Fututure development
The Volumio team is aware of the fact, that the current separation of test and production system is not ideal and does not match the complexity of Volumio as it became. The team has a plan and is working on improving it, but does not want to introduce any change at this moment which would further delay an initial Volumio 3 release.

When Volumio 3 is released, the stable channel will only contain official Volumio 3 releases, and an additional alpha and beta channel will be added.

1 Like

Hi,
If I have understood correctly
If I disable test mode , will I still be able to receive updates only that this one are tested - - Betta–?
Thanks

Yes, if you disable the “test mode” you get the beta builds via ota updater.

How i understand it, is when the “test mode” is enabled, you will get developement builds, which are not intended for end user/beta testers.

1 Like

What is the current beta version? I’m on 3.094, which I assume is an alpha version. The only issue I have with 3.094 is sometimes it takes forever for the music to start playing, but this is an issue I have with all versions of Volumio.

Hi.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the use of /test & OTA.
Anyways

Shared a bug with log file here http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/A8ubfaX.html

Hardware
Raspberry V3
Kali Reclocker + Piano 2.1
Suptronics X850 V3.1 = controller USB mSATA SSD
Not supported Out of the Box Wifi dongle with Realtek driver

Software
Volumio V3.083

Software, what works what doesn’ t
a. Wifi dongle OK after downloading the driver, and so on
b. Piano 2.1 in Dual Mode is picked up by the system. I can save the settings. (good compared to previous Volumio 2 after version 699. I stayed on that one for this system)
c. SSD is not recognized as USB connected hard drive (mSata Sandisk X300 512Gb)
d. Web radio don’t play, red rectangle appears on the top right " "****failed to open ALSA device volumio. No such device"****" (couldn’t try music since local drive is not recognized)

That’s it.
Hope it is Ok as reporting

Allo USBridge - hardwired network-asix driver installed
topping d90 DAC
3.101 - via “internet update”

I primarily want to use Tidal Connect MQA and purchased my Allo USBridge when I heard Volumio supported this.
Earlier Beta/Alpha versions were a mixed bag. Recent versions were unusable for Connect. In native Tidal tracks sometimes had garbled beginning/ending few seconds of a track, but besides that were actually playing nicer with my DAC than ever before in the “middle” of tracks. I’d had issues where randomly during a track I would experience “cracks” in the sound and sometimes my DAC display would momentarily change to display bit rate and MQA indicator would change to PCM, these issues seem to have come back in this version.
This version seems a bit of a step back, but generally welcome one. Hopefully some of the encouraging things I was seeing in how Volumio was playing with my DAC can come back in a more stable package that also plays well with Tidal Connect.

{“status”:“play”,“title”:“Beggin’”,“artist”:“Mneskin”,“album”:“Chosen”,“albumart”:“https://resources.tidal.com/images/9bcc5309/fc1d/4c81/9bf7/b29285b6b52d/1280x1280.jpg",“uri”:"",“trackType”:“tidal”,“seek”:198449,“duration”:212,“samplerate”:"44.1 KHz”,“bitdepth”:“16 bit”,“channels”:2,“random”:false,“repeat”:false,“repeatSingle”:false,“consume”:false,“volume”:100,“mute”:false,“disableVolumeControl”:true,“stream”:false,“updatedb”:false,“volatile”:true,“service”:“tidalconnect”}

Tidal connect isn’t stuttering anymore :slight_smile: Figured I’d post some good news for a change.

However being able to see my Volumio device on the Tidal Desktop App is hit or miss. I can see it however on the Tidal Mobile App for Android. (both devices are on the same wireless network, and the multicast packets / mdns is going across the wire, wireless, and vlans)

Funny thing is, if you open the desktop application and then open the mobile app. It then sees the volumio Tidal Connect interface lol. My guess is that the mobile app makes a request to see if there are any Tidal Connect devices out there and volumio says hi! I’d have to flip on wireshark again to see whats up. Let me know, happy to help :slight_smile:

Volumio 3.083 also verified and noticed that some error in

/volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json file alsacard parameter missing so its wrongly configuring the card name in /etc/asound.conf
need to nano /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json as below

{“id”:“piano-dac-plus”,“name”:“Allo Piano 2.1”,“overlay”:“allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x-audio”,“alsanum”:“2”,“alsacard”:“PianoDACPlus”,“mixer”:“Digital”,“modules”:"",“script”:"",“needsreboot”:“yes”},

1 Like

please reread this important notice to all beta testers

To avoid further confusion, please unset Test mode if you have not done so already.
That way you will avoid stumbling over insufficiently tested or non-working alpha versions.
As @mervinio explained, sometimes you may specifically be asked by the developers to set Test mode and OTA to re-test a feature that you reported broken or not working correctly in a beta version.

Please hold on a little more, a new beta will arrive and be announced soon.

1 Like

There is a new beta version available, download it from this location:

Volumiobuster-3.101-2021-09-08-pi.zip

1 Like

Does the new beta have plugin support allready? (Saw some commits regarding those on GitHub)

No, that is stil WIP.
There is progress, first alpha testing started, but it is not ready for field testing.

1 Like

With the new Version 3.101 volumio plays no file anymore. It restart all the time.

Try to send log http://logs.volumio.org/volumiobuster/27xPVrp.html

Here last lines from ‘journctl’

!!EDIT: After restore system all works again

Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Music Player Daemon...
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: mpd.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Music Player Daemon.
Sep 28 17:02:55 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Starting Music Player Daemon...
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver...
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: shairport-sync.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:56 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver...
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: shairport-sync.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Shairport Sync - AirPlay Audio Receiver.
Sep 28 17:02:57 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Decoder plugin 'wildmidi' is unavailable: configuration file does not exist: /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Input plugin 'tidal' is unavailable: No Tidal application token configured
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi mpd[3109]: Sep 28 17:02 : exception: Input plugin 'qobuz' is unavailable: No Qobuz app_id configured
Sep 28 17:02:58 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Music Player Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopping Volumio Streaming Daemon...
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: volumio-streaming-daemon.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: volumio-streaming-daemon.service: Succeeded.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Stopped Volumio Streaming Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi systemd[1]: Started Volumio Streaming Daemon.
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: ############################
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: # Volumio Streaming Daemon #
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: # Running on port 7777     #
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: ############################
Sep 28 17:03:06 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: Environment: production
Sep 28 17:03:08 livingfoxi volumio-streaming-daemon[3144]: Environment: production
Sep 28 17:03:26 livingfoxi systemd-journald[190]: Suppressed 715 messages from volumio.service

cards configuration issue still present in 3.101-2021-09-08-pi.zip version

/volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json file alsacard parameter not entered for some of the cards. due to this /etc/asound.conf configured with MAX98357A for these cards and alsa error displaying while playing. I hope this will correct in next beta version. I have tested this with Allo Piano 2.1

@volumio @mervinio, is this correct?