Volumio 2 on PINE64/ PINE A64-LTS / SOPINE Compute Module

I can’t confirm these problems and suspect you have some network issues causing instabilities.
Which model do you have Pine64 or Pine64LTS?
How do you power the device?
Did you boot from uSD or eMMC (Pine64 LTS)?
Which WiFi device are you using? A USB dongle or the corresponding Pine module?
You said, you tried with LAN connection first, did webradio work without stutters and glitches?

Thnx for your reply!

I have the original Pine64 (from when the kickstarter was) It’s the 2Gb version
5v 2.1A Power supply
Don’t know about uSD or eMMC?
I tried 2 Wifi dongles (not from Pine)
I haven’t tried Webradio…

ok, you have the original Pine64, booting from micro SD.
PSU sounds ok.

Try cable connection first with webradio, library comes later.
It gives a first impression on a working sound device with normal internet connections,
Choose Volumio selections and select something like “Absolute Relax”.
This should work without any issues, no dropouts, no glitches.
Sound quality on Pine64 onboard is horrible, but that is how it is, USB Audio is another story.

Ok, so…I tried to get an Android image working on the old Pine64, no luck. Then I thought I should try the webradio you suggested, so I wrote the image for Volumio again…but…didn’t get it to boot. And really was kind of giving up hope for this device, since it has been so unstable…

Now bear with me…I got a nice handheld air-compressor in the mail today from the China *where is this going?!..and…it has a battery, and it can function as a powerbank! (With 2-3A!) So…the McGuyver in me thought…hey, what if I would power the Pine64 with that powerbank?! Et Voila…it booted straight up! (and it seems to be stable sofar *keeping fingers crossed).

So I tried the webradio, but I have no sound…I have the Pine64 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo amplifier…and even when I set the output to HDMI-out on the Volumio interface, I get nothing…onloy ‘no signal’ on my TV…

Furthermore the Volumio interface detected my NAS under Media servers, I can find songs, but I can’t ‘play’ them…it only stops the ‘playing’ webradio…the songs from the Media server is not even added to the que? (while each time I play the webradio a new instance is added to the que…lol)…

Ok, so really curious now how to get my Onkyo to play the music (with HDMI…btw is that also horrible quality?)

And…well if it is possible to play music from Media server… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I suggest to turn to the pine64 forum for basic pine64 board startup support.
Nothing of what you wrote sounds like a volumio issue.
Not trying to shake you off, but there is so much that can be wrong.
You mentioned yourself, Android did not boot either.
So please please make sure your Pine hardware works before trying Volumio.

If you get really stuck, and nobody on the pine board can help, try here again

TonyK, please don’t give up trying to get your Pine64 board up and running Volumio2. I had audio output device problems with my Schiit Modi3 USB DAC and with my Pine64 Sabre DAC Pot.

My two Pine64 2gb boards are the original kickstarter units and were not very effective as a media center and a desktop computer. I repurposed them to music streamers after reading this thread about a month ago and used the 2.715 2020 pine64 image version.

Both of my DACs became compatible after I did a factory reset on each unit. Volumio2 runs very well except there is not volume control within the software.

Thnx guys!

Yeah, well I agree…this power thing is rather bizar. I have since ordered and received a 5V 3A power supply (originally for powering a pi, so should be good)… so now it seems stable. Except, I don’t know where to go from here…

1. Where to look for proper HDMI-output? I thought Volumio was an OS, so…how do I know where to look for a solution?
  2. Same basic question goes for the (manually added) Youtube plugin, can I do that the same way as on a Raspberry Pi?
  3. I’ve let the device go through my music collection on the Synology (add source)…and it doesn’t show any results (does give a certain volume), in fact when I browsed the Pine64 ip’s folder, it showed me a folder called ‘nas’ and it looked like it copied all the songs to the SD-card?

If I can get this working, I might look for a DAC…but for now this seems very far away…

New version available, see opening post.
Includes the latest myVolumio Music Credits feature

Thank you! Pine64 still rocks! :smiley:

Little update,

I decided that I would try using the 3.5 jack output, then got mostly low volume and/or noise… had an old external Soundblaster USB
(Audigy 2) item laying around and tried connecting that to the USB-port…succes!

Also tried installing the USB-plugin from here:
youtube-for-volumio-t6608-230.html#p70392

Got that working too (with using WinSCP) *normal samba share doesn’t really show much

Am wondering now if there’s an update here how I am supposed to do that? (do the actual update)

Thnx again for your awesome work (and patience :wink: )

solution for low noise on 3.5" jack: enable volumio normalisation in the playback options. Not ideal but effective considering the suboptimal quality of the onboard dac :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Trying out volumio for the first time on a SOPINE with 2.715 above. It works with the PINE64 stereo DAC board (ESS9023) but the volume is very, very low. This is the same problem that Lars had above from March 2019. The in-app volume control doesn’t change the volume one way or another, and normalisation / auto volume control doesn’t work to increase the levels either. :sadface:

I’ll keep poking at it.

[edit] Fixed it! by poking at the volume controls; current settings are Analog (DAC) / DSD Direct / Auto Volume Level ON / Volume Normalization ON / Mixer Hardware / Control Name Digital / Default Startup Volume 100 / max Volume 100 / Steps 10 / Curve Mode Natural.

All is working well, time to play.

Hello,

I have my Pine 64. Maybe I will change for a Raspberry 4 but can somebody prepare the last version for Pine ?
It is more powerful than de Raspberry 3+.

Thanks a lot.

Djoul

I will try to update the community portings the next few days,

1 Like

Hello, I know it’s not right to insist. But if you have time to release the Pine 64 version, that would be great.
Thanks
Sincerely

remarks like that really put me off, i do this in my free time ok?

Hello, That’s why I took care to be polite and caring. I don’t want to bother anyone. In no case I wanted to claim for anything.

The build for soPine64 with 5.7.y kernel is progressing well.
HDMI Audio, I2S (with POT), Headphone, all working fine.
SPDIF should be OK as well, but I was not able to confirm yet (due to my Pine prototype POT with SPDIF that never worked for the old kernel either, so likely a hw problem).

Pine64/Pine64plus/Pine64LTS images will follow.

Open issues

• original Pine64 wifi module (rtl8723bs).

I have no plans to implement LCD support (Pine’s Feiyang offering), but in case someone has the time and skills to find out how, I’ll be happy to integrate. Must be with proper touch screen support though!

1 Like