Volumio 2 on Odroid Boards

For the ones interested, long due update on Odroid N2:
volumio-2.697-2019-12-21-odroidn2

Changelog

• Supported version
  • Current myVolumio functionality
  • Latest Hardkernel linux kernel (4.9.205)

Hi all,

Since last update (OTA) I canā€™t stop volumio. No effect when choosing close (ArrĆŖt in French) in the menu. Am I the only one?

Merry Christmas to all!

Edit : Iā€™m using odroid 1

EnvoyƩ de mon Redmi Note 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Not tried it yet, but I will have a closer look next week

Ok. Thank you.

EnvoyƩ de mon Redmi Note 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi there,

Iā€™m experiencing the following issue with AirPlay after updating one of my Odroid C1+ boards to the latest 2.692 version of Volumio (the other one stays on 2.166 until Iā€™m confident).
When I start changing tracks, pausing and resuming play, the shairport-sync process dies.
It can take 5 actions (start, pause, resume, change track), sometimes more, but it dies 100% of the times.
Spotify Connect and DLNA are solid, but no luck with AirPlay.
My player is AllConnect on Android.
I uploaded a log, taken soon after a crash, to http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/MKMmB0Z.html, to see if it helps.

Any idea?

Thank you and regards

Antonio

Is there any substantial disadvantage running Volumio on Odroid N2 (vs other platforms) ?

If so which would you recommend for long term ease of use/stability ? Iā€™m all for getting the latest hardware and donā€™t mind occasional tinkering but would want to be on a platform likely to get the most frequent future maintenance. I didnā€™t know if the N2 just hadnā€™t made itā€™s way to the main downloads due to relative recency (I realize thereā€™s only so much time to port to supported platforms).

Thanks

@DesertRider
No, it performs very well, has an excellent headphone dac onboard and very good support for USB Audio, incl. DSD-capable devices.
It is also very close to full mainline support, from what I know this should be complete for most Amlogic based devices with kernel 5.6
(expected around April/Mai).

Our policy regarding automatically releasing new versions largely depends on the popularity of a particular platform.
We only automatically build for the most popular ones like PI, X86, C1, C2, Tinkerboard Sparky and Pine because if we donā€™t, people will ask for it anyway.
We save ourselves the effort of building for the 15+ supported devices when we have an update and rather save that time for things with higher priority.
Whether the Odroid N2 will be added to that list, I cannot say, you are the first one to discuss it here, it seems there is hardly any demand for it at the moment. A real pity, perhaps it is too expensive??

This does not mean I would not support it, but would only build a version on request if somebody feels the need to get an update.
Or if there is a major release or a version of which I think should be created and published.
Updates are always posted in the OP of this thread.

The same rule applies to all other community platform portings, new versions with a major release are very likely, others only on request.

Watch here for progress on Volumio for Odroid-C4, coming soon.

Check out this sneak preview volumio-2.765-2020-05-01-odroidc4

HDMI Audio, SPDIF and USB Audio are working.
No support for HiFi shields yet (planned, waiting for HK to resolve an issue).

Known issue: the list of playback options is incorrect (of course there is no line-out, shield options missing)
This will be corrected when the HiFi shields become available.

Updates on Odroid N2:
Changelog

• Current Volumio/ myVolumio functionality (incl. meta data discovery)
  • Stock Hardkernel Remote support, incl Power on/off
  • Performance improvements
  • More support for various USB Audio devices

See OP

Are other DACS and Digiā€™s supported on the ODROID platform? I see in your post that the ODROID DAC plus is not yet currently supported. Do you have an ETA on that?

For Odroid C4: no ETA, Iā€™m waiting for Hardkernel to solve the issue which caused them to revert the Hifi Shield patches.
Only C1/C2/C4 support the Hardkernel DACs.
XU4 and N2 donā€™t and will never.
N2 is very good with USB Audio, HDMI and line out.
XU4 does well with USB Audio.

The other Audio Out choices for the C4 currently are

• USB Audio (tested up to DSD 512), no glitches anywhere.
  • SPDIF via coax (tested via pin J7-1 GND, J7-2 SPDIF), working well.
  • HDMI Audio (tested with an HDMI Extractor and a Samsung TV).

The HiFi Shields are good, worth the money, but there are better alternatives.
My advice: in case you donā€™t already own one of the HiFi Shields, choose a good USB DAC for Odroids.
You would be much more flexible and able to use it on other devices as well

1 Like

Thank you!

New versions out for ALL Odroid boards.
Includes the latest myVolumio Music Credits feature

Do you know if there is a really good post on getting a 2004A 2X40 LCD with SDL connected and displaying critical info?

No, but you may be able to find some info on the hardkernel.com site (they have a fairly good wiki) or the board forums.
For the volumio info you will find a couple of threads here, mostly PI, but perhaps good as an example.

Odroid C2 last volumio version 2.777
I connect waveshare 7 inch display
But touch donā€™t work.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0eef:0005 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd
I try to add usbhid.quirks=0x0eef:0x0005:0x0004 on boot.ini but it does not help.
Maybe missing module ?

Missing module? Looks like it. In case you could help find which module, Iā€™ll add it. Otherwise it is going to be a guess game for me.

Any updated on C4 development?

The current image is fully functional, incl. S/PDIF on header J7.2
Meanwhile HK updated the kernel, I2S is now available.
Both HiFi Shields are on my to-do list, unfortunately there is no time for that at the moment.
I will post a new version when available.