Volumio 2 on Odroid Boards

So, as I see we have a deal…
By the way volspotconnect2/topping USB audio temporary solved : mixer name cause the conflict… See volspotconnect2 theme in development talk…

Tapatalkkal küldve az én CLT-L29 eszközömről

Dear VOLUMIO fans on ODROID-C2 board,

Here is my configuration, and in the attached ZIP You can find detailed description with relevant files for sucessful set-up VOLUMIO 2.513 on ODROID-C2 board. Two things does not work : Touch Input and Wake Up on button press, both are related to kernel. I hope the kernel will be updated soon.

[code]CONFIGURATION

HARDWARE

SBC : ODROID-C2
DISK : 32 GB EEMC
SD Card : NO - auto detection disabled

AUDIO 1 : HiFi Shield 2
AUDIO 2 : Topping D30

DISPLAY : VU7 Touchscreen

INPUT 1 : VU7 Touchscreen
INPUT 2 : GPIO Buttons
INPUT 3 : Rapoo 2710 Touchkeyboard
INPUT 4 : Odroid IR remote controller

SWITCH 1 : POWER ON / OFF - utilize NCP372 chip
SWITCH 2 : DISPLAY ON / OFF

BUTTON 1 : SLEEP / WAKE UP - utilize GPIO Key Button
BUTTON 2 : PLAY / PAUSE
BUTTON 3 : VOL UP
BUTTON 4 : VOL DOWN

STATUS LED 1 : HEARTBEAT on GPIO
STATUS LED 2 : POWER ON

CONNECTOR 1 : 1 x UTP 1Gbit
CONNECTOR 2 : 4 x USB

POWER : iFi iPower, 5V max 2.5 A
CASE : Custom acrylic, angled front

SOFTWARE

MAIN : 			VOLUMIO 						/ 2.513  	  / 07-12-2018
					KERNEL							/ 3.14.79 #2  / 13-04-2018 - volumio 2.513

PLUGINS : 		Touch Display 					/ 1.0.1  	  / 20-11-2018
					Spotify 							/ 1.3.5  	  / 18-02-2018 - update to Spotify plugin with Oauth
					IR Remote Controller 				/ 1.2.0  	  / 16-11-2018
					Youtube Playback 				/ 0.0.9  	  / 16-11-2018
					Last FM Scrobbler 				/ 1.1.12  	  / 19-03-2018
					Volumio Spotify Connect2 dev		/ 0.8.0  	  /   -  -2018
					GPIO Buttons 					/ 0.8.1  	  / 20-06-2018
					Auto Start 						/ 1.1.2  	  / 08-11-2018
					Kodi Krypton 					/ 2.2.11 	  / 16-11-2018
					80s80s Radio 					/ 1.0.0  	  / 25-06-2018
					Radio Paradise 					/ 1.0.2  	  / 20-11-2018
					TuneIn Radio 					/ 1.1.0  	  / 19-03-2018
					Backup & Restore Data 			/ 0.7.2  	  / 16-11-2018[/code]

VOL2513OC2.zip (9.51 MB)

I tested this morning with an Odroid C2 and VU7+ screen and installed the touch screen plugin.
This appears to work fine with touch input.

Then I swapped the VU7+ for a VU7 and this confirmed your finding that touch input does not work with the VU7.
VU7 and VU7+ are quite different devices, VU7+ uses the standard HID driver for multitouch panels whereas the VU7 uses the “D-WAV USB(HID) MultiTouch” (module dwav_usb_mt).
The C2 kernel configuration shows that the D-WAV driver was selected, the device is also recognised correctly:

volumio@volumio-c2-shield2:~$ lsusb Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0eef:0005 D-WAV Scientific Co., Ltd Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
It appears that the D-WAV driver module was loaded correctly as well:

lsmod Module Size Used by ir_lirc_codec 4894 3 ir_sony_decoder 1634 0 ir_nec_decoder 1768 0 ir_mce_kbd_decoder 3309 0 ir_rc5_decoder 1597 0 ir_sanyo_decoder 1596 0 ir_jvc_decoder 1648 0 ir_rc6_decoder 1973 0 lirc_dev 10647 1 ir_lirc_codec xt_REDIRECT 2103 1 meson_ir 3380 0 iptable_nat 3008 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4 16979 1 nf_defrag_ipv4 1675 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4 nf_nat_ipv4 4083 1 iptable_nat nf_nat 15444 3 nf_nat_ipv4,xt_REDIRECT,iptable_nat nf_conntrack 87747 4 nf_nat,nf_nat_ipv4,iptable_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4 snd_soc_odroid_dac2 3505 0 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c 2697 1 snd_soc_pcm512x 8846 1 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c sx865x 5179 0 ip_tables 16875 1 iptable_nat aml_i2c 16671 0 nfsd 295288 2 nfs_acl 2904 1 nfsd cfg80211 472666 0 dwav_usb_mt 5226 0 spidev 6475 0 spi_gpio 6778 0 spi_bitbang 4063 1 spi_gpio w1_gpio 3761 0 wire 25575 1 w1_gpio meson_gpiomem 4024 0 gxbb_wdt 3419 0 fuse 88726 1 ipv6 375676 76 autofs4 28145 2 squashfs 32087 1 overlay 32967 1
No idea why this is not working.
There is nothing I can do about it at the moment and suggest that you check this on the HK forum.

Our kernel is based on version 3.14.79.
In case HK forum suggests we switch to 3.16 then I will consider doing that, together with the already announced enhancements for usb audio.
This can probably be done at the end of January.

Hi, gkkpch,
I found the solution…

• D-WAV touchscreen driver is implemented in volumio 2.513’s kernel ( 3.14.79-#2) as module ( driver) …
  • I simple rebuild volumio’s kernel with D-WAV touchscreen driver build in…
  • then I replace, Image kernel file, and write a freshly compiled u-boot to emmc card …
  • so, touch screen is OK now,
  • volspotconnect2 is OK too ( see my related post),
  • shut down by button ( not volumio’s gpio plug in) OK, but wake up need to be checked, investigate
  • meanwhile I found some interesting features about c2’s u-boots, like auto monitor detection… and more… maybe they deserves deeper look…
  • Until now I learned how to make kernel and u-boot, how to write them to existing system… but still is missing the kwowledge about building uInitrd, sqsh file system…
    So here I am now…

OK, I can help you with that.
There is a section in our documentation to cover most, some of what you mentioned (initramfs, squash file) is done as part of the C2 image build.
Please read the Porting Guide section in the Volumio documentation.
It is not a step-by-step description (as all platforms are different), but as you seem to have adequate skills, it should help you build your own image from scratch. Also checkout the README in github.com/volumio/Build for the build prerequisites.

Thank you,…
( wow… web manual updated…)

Better not to use HK kernel branch 3.16.y just now but stick to 3.14.y instead.
A quick and dirty compile and volumio build shows that there are serious issues with overlay fs on 3.16.y, something vital for Volumio.
I’m afraid they have screwed up patches and will report this to HK.
Until this has been fixed, I will continue with 3.14.79

The USB DSD-direct patches have been prepared and should be OK.
I also added @totyc’s finding and added the touchscreens as builtin modules.
Hope to finish and test this sometime in the next few weeks, so we can release end of January.
For the software volume issue I will check with the developers after they return from holidays, this may take a while longer…

Updated Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2
volumio-2.528-2019-01-12-odroidxu4

• Added myVolumio support
  • New kernel 4.14.y with updated support for DSD-direct (native( capable USB Audio devices
  • Supports booting from SD and eMMC

Odroid C1/C2
No progress with software volume control yet, new version release on hold.

Hi guys!

I’m a total newbie regarding Volumio.
I own an odroid HC2 with armbian+OMV.
Thanks to LMS and its upnp plugin, I can easily manage to connect to my amplifier (Hegel H90) which has a network interface (and acts as an audio renderer/sink).

Now, on volumio (with the latest version 01/19 : which boots perfectly well) :

• the disk attached to the HC2 : after mounting it, I can access to everything BUT the directory containing my music! (??!). I even went to make /data/INTERNAL point to the disk’s mount path, but to no avail!

• upmpdcli : which is launched by volumio disregarding the .conf file in /etc; the audio render is not found (/proc/asound checked : no cards whatsoever).

Is it volumio or this young build?
Or is it me…alas!
Good day and thks for your interest!!

Approx. 6 weeks ago we received an Odroid N2 engineering copy.
Meanwhile a Volumio image has been created for it and with the internal DAC appears to work very well.
We intend to release it as a community porting as soon as demand is there.
Known issues: some DSD capable USB Audio devices were not identified correctly, from them some work nevertheless.
Still looking into this issue.

Hi,
I have not been able to reproduce this, can you supply a log?

BR - Gé

Since about 3 weeks we also have a supported version for thew Odroid-N2, see Opening Post, based on kernel 4.9.y
IR usage was not in focus, if needed it can be added for a next release.
Switch On/Off via remote has not been taken into account either, also open for addition.
For the rest, fully functional incl. myVolumio.
An excellent candidate for headphone use (supports pcm up to 32bit/384Khz), but even better is USB Audio.
It supports the same range of DSD capable devices as kernel 4.19.

Hi everyone,

first of all thanks a lot for the ongoing support of Odroid boards, despite having a rather small community compared to Raspi, I assume we just know what’s better :wink:

After OSMC and Runeaudio I just recently ended up with Volumio, also due to lagging support for Runeaudio. I am using an Odroid C1+ with an Hifi Shield 2 to stream via SPDIF to my WAF Najda DSP. I have also tested the analog outs, but this just sounded rather bad, also it really doesn’t make sense to me to go Digital->Analog->Digital->Analog. I am really happy with the result, however when choosing SPDIF/HDMI as an output, the screen running the UI turns blank white. I was really happy to see my waveshare 7" screen running natively the UI, so I am hoping to get this back. When choosing Hifi Shield 2 (analog outs) as the output, everything works fine. I hope there is no restriction, but I couldn’t find anything on the forum.

Just as a sidenot: With Runeaudio I went via I2S directly on to my Najda board, but after switching to Volumio I had quite some noise on the I2S connection, this is why I got me the Hifi Shield, hoping to have a more stable connection via SPDIF.

Looking forward! Kind regards, Alex

Hi Alex,

thank you for your detailed feedback on your Volumio experience with the C1+
Being an early Odroid user myself (it is what started me off in this community, following my first Volumio port to the X2), I’m a little surprised by the issues you are having, as I never had those.

Can you tell me which version you are using? I’ll rig up a C1+ to verfify.

Hi,
sorry for the absence, I was on a short trip away from home. Got back last night 4 am, now we have 9 am, trying to sort this out. :smiley: Happy to read that there shouldn’t be a problem!

This is a fresh log file after boot: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/TjcuPC5.html

There is plenty of information in there. All I did was install volumio, install the touchscreen plugin and change the boot.ini to have a resolution of 800x480 60p. Screen works fine on boot load, but turns blank white once the system is ready, but only on playback audio output “HDMI/SPDIF”. I can check my board version later, this will take a bit of time as I will have to take apart the housing, was a bit too keen to run into no problems.

I am still running the old kernel 3.10.104, I assume that’s okay?!

Looking forward! Kind regards, Alex

Just for reference: This is a boot log with HDMI out working when playback option is “Hifi Shield 2”: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/WhJMJ4L.html

EDIT: Did a bit of side to side check of the log files. Seems that this is different/not working as it should. No idea what this is though…

…somehow my post this morning got lost…

Hi Ge,

thank you for your offer to help. I was on a short trip last week, so sorry for the late reply. Reading that there shouldn’t be an issue sounds promising! Let’s see! :smiley:

So first some log files:

1. Boot log with Playback Output “HDMI/TOSLINK (S/PDIF)” - Blank white screen on HDMI out http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/YAWdC9R.html
  2. Boot log with Playback Output “Hifi Shield 2” - Screen on HDMI out works as it should http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/tjWoBSD.html

Is there a problem with the kernel, I am still running the old 3.10.104? What I did - Flashed Volumio on SD, installed the Touchscreen plugin, changed the Boot.ini to have 800x480 60p screen resolution. The screen works fine during boot up, but turns blank white ones the system is ready. When choosing Playback Output “Hifi Shield 2”, the HDMI out and touchscreen works fine.

Please let me know wether this helps finding the problem! In case you still need the board version, that will take some extra effort as I will have to take apart my audio rig (was a bit too fast getting it all together).

Looking forward! Thanks in advance! Kind regards, Alex

The screen turns blank white at the exact moment the SPDIF out is turned on and my external DAC gives me a green light meaning that the SPDIF receiver can extract a suitable clock from the supplied SPDIF stream!

I am still wondering wether it is possible to have a video out via HDMI while having the digital audio out via SPDIF at the same time, because to me this looks like what is causing the problem!

Hope this helps! :wink:

I need to look into this, this appears more complex than I thought. I did test with hdmi, but only on VU5/VU7/VU7+
The only thing I did not do was spdif. Did you grab it directly from the 7-pin connector or from your hifi shield?

Hey,

I did grab the SPDIF from the Hifi Shield 2. When I tested the I2S Connection directly, I had a lot of noise in the signal chain, probably due to bad wiring. That’s why I liked the idea of having the Hifi Shield 2 with native SPDIF Output.

Looking forward! Alex

have you googled the Odroid forum yet?
If this is so obvious, others must have had the same issue.
Perhaps not with Volumio, but Kodi is widely used, also with a HiFi shield, SPDIF and HDMI.
Just a thought.