Volumio 2.411 on AppleTV 1st generation

Hi,
I am very happy if you continue my project.
You need a pc with Linux and a 8gb usb stick.
When you are ready, I will start with instructions.
Bye.

1 Like

Hi,
No problem really.
Good continuation.
Bye.

Hi!

Iā€™m reading this thread and Iā€™m very interested on what youā€™ve accomplished.
I have an Apple TV1 shelved and Iā€™m interested in turning it into a usable device to watch movies in HD resolution and listening to streaming music or files recorded on the internal drive. I was using the great OSMC image for the AppleTV as it is a very nice work of polishing kodi for this device. However, the latest OSMC for AppleTV available is from October 2017 and is based on Debian 8 Jessie.

I wanna run a more updated version of Debian on apple TV and itā€™s very interesting that you managed to run the latest Buster on it. My goal is to use command line players and clients to stream music and videos from youtube, spotify, deezer, tidal. Iā€™ll try to ressurect the support for the crystalHD card to enable 1080p youtube streams on even netflix streams from command line. Maybe build a simple UI using Ncurses or very basic X sever without any window manager. Have done some experiments streaming youtube video files at 720p maximum and it runs ok. I have an CrystalHD card and Iā€™ll try to get it running to stream at 1080p. I dont need more resolution as my plan is to use the apple tv at a mountain lodge during vacations.

And for audio, Apple TV 1 offers 129kHz, 24 bit audio and nice analog circuitry after the realtek dac, resulting in very nice audio trough the RCA connectors.

This port of Volumio is very interesting too. Runs nice on the Apple TV but unfortunatelly itā€™s also based on jessieā€¦

So, could you share what you did to boot buster on the AppleTV?

Iā€™m not a developer. Iā€™m just a retired aeronautical engineer but I think with some effort I can do some progress. Iā€™m using the Apple TV to learn more about linux.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Zeh

Hello villa,

Could you possibly share your recipe?
Iā€™m very interested on making an updated release of Volumio for the AppleTV based on buster or even on another rolling distro like archā€¦

kind regards

Zeh

Hi,

Good lord. LOL
I meant sharing a hard disk image!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Iā€™m not native english speaker

I perfectly understand. I wrongly assumed that sharing a fresh install would be easy to do.
Sorry for asking.

Could you then just help with some tips with the booting chain?
Iā€™ll try this VM method youā€™ve done.

Hello,

I would be interested in continuing this project. Volumio has transformed my music room.

Or, If youā€™re willing to continue porting, I can send you a working appleTV 1st generation.

Hi,
if you have a pc with linux os, I can guide you to porting Volumio on AppleTV.
Bye.

Hi,

Yes I have a pc with linux OS.

I send you a PM

Hi,
I have an Apple TV 1st generation.
I have installed OSMC on the hard drive. I donā€™t like it.
So I decided to give Volumio a chance.
With Balena Etcher I wrote Volumio on an USB pendrive.
But Apple TV wil not boot from it. After several times always OSMC is on top.
How can I overrule the booting proces from OSMC?
Thanks.

Hi, can you post how to port on Linux the new version of Volumio? Thanks

Volumio is Linux already. It is based on Debian.

Thanks

Hi asastonvilla.

Could you plz share the instructions on how to port Volumio on Apple TV? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

I donā€™t want to sound harsh or impolite, but in case you need instructions to port this, it is going to be a very rough road without having solid linux scripting and kernel compile skills.
Even when having them, managing to follow a step-to-step instruction and succeed with Volumio 2, think about how you would be able to maintain it and anticipate to the upcoming major Volumio build changes for version 3.0? Did you have a look at the Build repository? Compare the master (current) branch with ā€œvolumioOSā€.

That is the work you would need to do to keep Volumio alive on Apple TV, otherwise, as things stand now, your (and the previous) ā€œVolumio for Apple TVā€ work dies when Volumio 2 dies.

Por aquĆ­ de nuevo, astonvilla como va el proyecto del apple tv 1?
Yo tengo por ahora instalado en el Apple TV 1 el SO 10.5.8 de Apple, pero me gustarĆ­a seguir con Volumio.
Gracias y un saludo.

[Google translate]
Here again, astonvilla, how is the apple tv 1 project going?
For now I have Apple OS 10.5.8 installed on the Apple TV 1, but I would like to continue with Volumio.
Thanks and regards.

Thanks and regards.