Volumio 2.411 on AppleTV 1st generation

Me again,

my ATV first gen is running and playing music from my NAS, but I can’t install no plugin.
In fact, when I go to plugin search there’s nothing on the tab, nor on the installed plugin.

Moreover, I can’t send music from my iphone to the ATV as I used to do, it’s not list on the remote speakers option.
Any help on that??

1 Like

the atv1 has an intel cpu and therefore is treated as an x86 device (also the reason why the internal copy works).
Unfortunately, plugin developers are focussing mainly on arm devices rather then x86.
Please refer to the plugin section of in Volumio Development, people there might be able to supply you with more detail. I think this issue needs attention.

I reformat the USB and recreate the image, run @asastonvilla command

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 conv=notrunc

, and reboot without the USB, nothing appear, bye bye Open Elect… with is Good :smiley:

the rebooted with the new USB, and run the command again just to make sure, rebut with USB and run @asastonvilla Copy command

sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512

and as you said @gkkpch it throw and error as it runs out of space, with is good

so… I rebooted without USB and … the Penduntu Login appear again :frowning:

I will try latter with a smaller 32gb USB… btw that for the support guys, I will tell you latter this week or next what happened.

This is weird, are you really sure /dev/sdb is the USB device you bootet from (and /dev/sda is your internal hdd)?

well I really don’t know, I have zero knowledge of Linux/Unix commands :frowning: , shame on me

BTW , I Don’t know if this might help

wend I’m executing the commands (ssh) I’m using PuTTY on Windows 10 to conecto to the apple TV, and run the commands via PuTTY.

When you copy volumio on the usb pen drive to the sda device succesfully, it can’t be that the atv box is not booting volumio but something else.
As blindly copying commands without checking, you run the risk something is not working because the setup is not quite the same. Not a problem, but to help you further, do all again, including zeroing the sda device.
Then before you start the manual copy, do the following sudo mount sudo lsblk and post the results. This should show whether sda or sdb are perhaps not the correct devices.

like you said sda or sdb might not be the correct devices, since this apple tv came with Open elect and Kody

Posting mI results

sod Mount

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb2 on /imgpart type ext4 (rw,relatime,stripe=1024,data=ordered) /dev/loop0 on /static type squashfs (ro,relatime) overlay on / type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/mnt/static,upperdir=/mnt/ext/dyn,workdir=/mnt/ext/work) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime) devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=104656k,nr_inodes=26164,mode=755) securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000) tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755) tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k) tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd) pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids) cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma) systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=12879) mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime) hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=4M) debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime) fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime) configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755) tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,nodev,relatime,size=20480k,mode=777,uid=1000,gid=4) tmpfs on /var/spool/cups type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755) tmpfs on /var/spool/cups/tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,mode=755) /dev/sdb1 on /boot type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro) rpc_pipefs on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime) /dev/sdb4 on /media/recovery_ type hfsplus (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks) tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=24056k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)

sudo lsblk

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo lsblk [sudo] password for volumio: NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sdb 8:16 1 119.2G 0 disk ├─sdb4 8:20 1 50M 0 part /media/recovery_ ├─sdb2 8:18 1 2.8G 0 part /imgpart ├─sdb3 8:19 1 4.3G 0 part └─sdb1 8:17 1 437M 0 part /boot loop0 7:0 0 521.7M 0 loop /static sda 8:0 0 37.3G 0 disk volumio@volumio:~$

thanks for the help

The plugin search feature does not work. You have to download the plugin zip package and them upload it from a pc.

I think the Airplay porting on linux does not work.

Bye.

Your usb drive is 119GB while your internal hdd is 37GB.

If you want install to internal HDD, you have to use a usb drive smaller than the internal HDD.

Bye.

Hey all, Previous in this thread I posted that I lost all my album artwork on my NAS drive after upgrading my ATV1 to 2.411. Well the solution is as follows - “vers=1.0.sec=ntlm”. All fixed.

Chris.

Hi , in the end I manage to install it, Just got 32gb USB and everything worked fine!!! Thank you to all for the support!

Hi, Installed on 1st gen but no sound on RCA left / right when streaming from iTunes and Airplay - do I need to enable something?

Volumio remote shows 44.1khz 16 bit streaming, album artwork all ok - confused.

Resolved-mute/unmute and output levels needed set properly. So impressed with this port - the appletv sounds pretty good too. Chapeau.!

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, I just installed to apple tv 1. I want to use the internal HD for system and music files but cant SSH to volumio password volumio as per documentations instructions , also tried volumio2, Volumio. Access denied. What am I doing wrong?

I just completed building a Raspberry Pi with 7" touch screen and Hifiberry Digi board. Finished setup and installation of Volumio and I LOVE it.

I would like to update/rehabilitate an old AppleTV I have by installing Volumio on it. I would like to accomplish the following:

1. Install Volumio onto an 500GB SSD drive I am going to replace the original HD with. (I will buy an SATA to IDE converter board)
  2. The Apple TV unit will be headless initially, but eventually I would like to add a 7" or 10.1" LCD touch screen if a plugin were available.
  3. Features and plugins desired:
    a) Airplay
    b) WebRadio
    c) Tune In Radio
    d) Pandora
    e) function as a music server
    f) function as DLNA server
    g) access my Synology NAS (it was a bit of a challenge getting that working on the RasPi, but finally got the permissions sorted, mostly on the Synology NAS)

I would be most grateful for comments on my points above, particularly with respect to the capability or availability within the ATV distro.

Thanks to all and Volumio, a really great system!!!

Hi, I have an apple tv works all very well! thanks, the sound is fantastic and I have optical output. The problem is when I put songs in DSD, it has jumps and cuts, but only by USB, not by optical, the DAC that I have is the TAGA Harmony, which recognizes me in native mode perfectly .
I have the music on a 1.5 TB hard drive of the WD USB
Should I put an SSD on the Apple TV to make it more fluid and avoid cuts? or what would be the solution …
Thanks and greetings to all.

Hi, another solution could be to change the crystal for CrystalHD BCM70015 ?

Hi is it possible to use a USB Dac using this setup?

1 Like

Yes, I use M-Audio Super Dac and it sounds fantastic.

You can view the USB DAC compatibility List at this link

https://forum.volumio.org/usb-dac-compatibility-list-t2151.html