Volumio 2.411 on AppleTV 1st generation

Hi,

I’m an happy and very thankful “cutormer” of your porting,

After all this time, with Volumio installed on HD, I notice that ATV1 disk is spinning all the time, since I mostly get my music from Spotify, secondly from NAS, how do I spin the disk down?

thanks for your great porting

Hi,
I do not have time to investigate.

I suggest to remove internal hdd and use AppleTV from USB pen drive.

Bye.

Hi,

I’ve been running V2.309 since November last year.

I tried an OTA update to V2.411 recently and after download and installation the system wouldn’t reboot back to life. Is there an architecture issue with updates to non-ATV ports?

Same here. I tried to update to v2.411 but it failed. I would be happy to help if required. Where is the source of the ATV1 build ?

By the way, great job. I am so happy to resuscitate my ATV1. :slight_smile:

Hi,

I hope to publish new release soon.

Bye.

That would be awesome !

New version 2.411 is online. Download from 1st post. Bye.

THX ! I will test it ASAP. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Working great here. No issue. Thx.

Does anyone have any clues on how to get an A1294 remote working with the IR plugin?

George

Please explain as you want use the remote.

1 Like

Hey all, I just successfully upgraded to 2.411 on my ATV1, but now I no longer have any album artwork. Artwork was there with the previous ATV1 image.

Also, FYI, previously I had to use sec=ntlmv2 to get my NAS recognised, with this new version it’s vers=1.0.

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

Hi,
I think that your problems are related to Volumio, not from the ATV1 porting.
Try ask in general section of the forum.
Bye.

Hi, something went wrong on my apple tv first, and suddenly stopped working … I am desperate.
I did reboot from usb.
I could reach volumio wifi network but, when I go through the steps of the wizard it crashes adn I can no longer reach the wifi.
I did hooked up on ethernet and I can reach it, I did do an install on HDD and it work, but I can no longer configure the wifi.
I activate ssh and did update and upgrade, then tried:
ifconfig wlan0
and got:
wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

did try:
ifconfig wlan0 up
but again:
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

any help or I should get rid of my beloved apple tv first?

You can try reinstall wi-fi driver.
Connect ATV by Ethernet interface then from ssh

sudo apt-get purge firmware-b43-installer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo reboot

Bye.

THANKS!

looks like my atv is up and wifi running.
I still have troubles:

spinning down the disk

activating spotify plugin

thanks for your help

L

Hi, I just got a Apple Tv gen 1 with OpenELEC installed on the Hard Drive, so I try to install Volumio on it following the instruction on the first post

Running Volumio from the USB (BTW is a 128 Gb Pyne USB) work like a charm, but is I use the option to install it to the HD, I got an error telling me that the size of the HD is smaller that the USB, so I try to install it manually

I took lake 3 hours to finish the command sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=512 after the reboot wend loading from the HD it ask me for the Penduntu Login.

any Idea or recommendation to install it on the HD

than

(btw Sorry for my bad english)

I think that ATV 1st gen has not ACPI features.
You can try with the command hdparm or with the program hd-idle.

Sorry I do not use this plugin.

Bye.

You can try this procedure:
boot from USB and from ssh run this command

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 conv=notrunc

Reboot from USB then try the option to install to hd.

Bye.

after running the command i gave me this

volumio@puiimusica:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 conv=notrunc 1+0 records in 1+0 records out 512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.341603 s, 1.5 kB/s volumio@puiimusica:~$

I rebooted

volumio@puiimusica:~$ reboot
and try to install from the program

and press YES!
and saddly I still get the error

:cry:

This not an error, the internal copy works as designed.
The procedure in the system menu does a raw disk copy from source to destination.
As we do not know which sectors have already been used, we do a size check to make sure that the destination is the same size or bigger. Only then we know we can copy all the used sectors.
Now, when your USB installation is still fresh, you could try the manual copy as @asastonvilla suggested.
It will throw an error after copying 37.3Gb as it runs out of space, but the installation will probably work.