Spotify wont accept my username and password again

Yes this plugin is a community creation but Volumio is using it as to make money. Hopefully Volumio will prioritize this issue and support the community that is supporting them. From the top page of Volumio.com they have Spotify at the very top of the list:

and further stating “Currently, our music is spread everywhere, making it annoying to jump from one app to another to play music.”
“Streaming all your music should be simple. This is why we built Volumio to combine all your favorite music sources in one single platform.”

2 Likes

This comment I can respect. That’s why I responded that Volumio should take ownership of the Spotify integration.
As a streaming audio platform, Qobuz/Tidal/Spotify should a basic part of their distribution and I am happy to pay the small fee for it.

1 Like

Volumio is not advertising to make money out of it. They use it to advertise their product. All plugins are free of charge, even on the free Volumio version.
You only pay for the native Qobuz and Tidal integration.

3 Likes

all good no worries.

I realise I may confuse free Volumio SW with Volumio subscription and Volumio as the fundamental SW controlling Volumio Primo or 3rd party HW (such as my pro-ject stream box) for which more serious money has been payed. For the latter, I wish the SW support was not on the shoulders of highly laudable community alone…

I realize I should direct my … worries to Mr Heinz Lichtenegger (owner of pro-ject)…

2 Likes

Well if you do that, by the time pro-ject will reply, the Spotify issue might be resolved. Have an issue reported 10 weeks ago… still waiting.

1 Like

I had as well, they never bothered to answer my question, so I solved it by selling the Pre-box S2 and moved on to something else.

3 Likes

BS, of course they use the Spotify logo in advertising to make money. “Their” product make less money if they say “…all your favorite music sources… except Spotify”.

BS? Broken Spotify??? I knew that one :slight_smile:

If both Spotify and Volumio are free, How is the money generated, seems I missed that day at school when they explained that miracle…

If you say they use it to increase their brand name or market share, totally true.
Will it generate extra sales because people want Qobuz/Tidal/Manifest UI who knows.

1 Like

Perhaps we could gather group of volunteers to rewrite the plugin?

If the newer apis offer same or close to functionality that is.

2 Likes

The API didn’t change, so that part of the code should be fine.
Seems the plugin uses https://api.spotify.com/v1/ which is still current and works (see screenshot)

As far as i can see, the solution is with Volumio. As they provide/generate the accesstoken which is currently failing.

ControllerSpop.prototype.refreshAccessToken = function () {
    var self = this;
    var defer = libQ.defer();

var refreshToken = self.config.get('refresh_token', 'none');
    if (refreshToken !== 'none' && refreshToken !== null && refreshToken !== undefined) {
        superagent.post('https://oauth-performer.dfs.volumio.org/spotify/accessToken')
            .send({refreshToken: refreshToken})
            .then(function (results) {
                if (results && results.body && results.body.accessToken) {
                    defer.resolve(results)
                } else {
                    defer.resject('No access token received');
                }
            })
            .catch(function (err) {
                self.logger.info('An error occurred while refreshing Spotify Token ' + err);
            });
    }

return defer.promise;
};

2 Likes

Hi All, I overhauled the current Volumio Spotify plug-in many years ago as a way of learning how to develop with Node.js. I was taking time off between gigs, but back in the thick of it working in Enterprise software sales now.

I believe the reason the Spotify plug-in is failing is because it relies on the SPOP deamon, a C program that uses Libspotify. Libspotify was deprecated back in 2017 by Spotify, so we knew this day would be coming.

One approach worth looking at is how Michael Herger, the Swiss-based Logitech engineer who single-handedly maintains the Logitech Media Server, created his Spotty plug-in for the LMS: GitHub - michaelherger/Spotty-Plugin: A Spotify plugin for the Logitech Media Server and Squeezebox

He is using Librespot, which does not depend upon Libspotify. He therefore exposes the LMS as a Spotify Connect client. But the way he does this makes Spotify completely integrated in the LMS UI. He also does some other very clever things, like infers Spotify folder structures whereas the Spotify Web API doesn’t support folders. He’s a much better engineer than me. :slight_smile:

So since there is an LMS plugin for Volumio, in principle people can install it, the Spotty plug-in into it, and you should be back in business. I haven’t tried it yet so I can’t verify that. I have numerous Raspberry Pis and DACs, some running Volumio, some piCorePlayer with the LMS and Squeezelite. I just verified the LMS Spotty plug-in is still working, as it did not use Libspotify.

I used to work a lot with the open-source Drupal system, as well as working as a Sales Engineer at Acquia, which provides commercial support for Drupal. The Drupal core team decides on a release by release basis which community-contributed modules should be committed to Drupal core, and maintained by the Drupal core team. I believe that which Spotify being a major draw to Volumio - both free and paid versions, it makes sense for the Volumio team to move the Spotify into the core Volumio distribution and maintain and support it.

Since Michael’s Spotty plug-in is open-source, you can probably use it as a starting point.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, missed the daemon part…

Guess stop driving the coastal line of California and start programming is not an option :slight_smile:

Not at the moment.

1 Like

Will settle for tomorrow, not right this moment. (just trying…)

Hi Guys,
thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread, both with developer’s suggestions and with comments.

The situation is exactly as Skirkwood described: we use a mix of Spotify Web API (for browsing) and SPOPD daemon for playback (which is the failing part now, since libspotify has been suddenly deprecated).

In fact, it’s a lot of time that we discuss with the closest community members developers a merge between librespot playback and spotify plugin to unify the Spotify experience in 1 plugin instead of two. Unfortunately as of now, no community developer has found the time to make that happen.

Long story short, our plan to solve this is:

• Enquire quickly some plugins developers to see if they want to jump in and help fix this (volunteers welcomed, please PM me if interested).
  • If in the short term there is no community developer to help, the core Volumio team will hand-over this plugin maintenance. While we have some ideas on how to restore this functionality, it’s not certain that we will be able to do it: when we have to integrate with third party APIs, we need to rely on those APIs to be accessible and actually working, which is not always the case.
  • Since ETA in both options will not be until a month (at least), in the meantime I encourage everyone to use Spotify Connect plugin. If you need to browse trough, LMS plugin is a valid alternative as skirkwood points out.

Just to clarify (for some of the angry commenters) we do stand behind both our users and our customers, so if there is something important for the people that use Volumio, we are prepared to do it (as we did many times in the past).

12 Likes

One final comment on this. For all of you whining about the Spotify plug-in not working, as @volumio suggests just use the Spotify Connect plug-in. It still works.

A good friend of mine spent $13K on a Lumin X1 streamer a few years ago. You know how you play back Spotify on it? Spotify Connect.

3 Likes

tx - good advise for 99% here, however on some 3rd party devices (here pro-ject stream box …ultra) it requires to flash the device and part from the original, plugin-interface free, but otherwise nicely working system. at a risk i understand (also drivers?). :wink:

should someone have a bulletproof troublefree guide taylored to the pro-ject device - i’d gratefully donate some money to wherever… :slight_smile:

I have four Volumio with a 2,915 version. Spotify stops working after a while. So there is no connection to the version.

what Spotify Connect plug-in you are referring to? there is couple of…Thank you

1 Like

? I know only one here… You are on Volumio forum…