[PLUGIN] Bandcamp Discover

Yes.

I’m on v.0.1.3 but I don’t get any info about bitrate or bit-depth. Is it normal?

The bitrate is given by MPD when it plays a stream. Sometimes the bitrate is not available. I haven’t really looked deep into this though. It’s just not something I would like to spend a lot of time on…

Bandcamp streams are either 128kbps MP3 or some-low-bitrate Opus.

Yeah it’s not a problem, I pointed it out just because it was mentioned :slight_smile:

Hi There, I just got my volumio 3 all installed and as a bandcamp user this was an early plugin install.

First thank you for spending the time to create this. I understand that due to how the API is that you can’t allow login. However, as accounts and libraries/wishlists can be public I wondered if there could be a way that you could allow for an account to be added in that way? It would at least allow easier access to people libraries. It looks like the Kodi plugin does something.alpng these lines.

Anyway just a suggestion couldn’t see it above. In any case thanks again.

Noel

Hi @njgriffin , I’ll see to this when I have time.

Hi everyone,

Bandcamp Discover v0.1.4 uploaded to beta channel. This version adds a “My Bandcamp” section, which you can enable by going to the plugin settings and providing your username:

Then you will see the “My Bandcamp” section:

To install this beta version:

1. Uninstall existing Bandcamp Discover plugin (if any).
  2. Restart Volumio.
  3. Make sure you have enabled “Plugins Test Mode” in http://<your volumio address/dev.
  4. Go to plugin store, then click “Details” button under “Bandcamp Discover”.
  5. Install v0.1.4 (beta)

@njgriffin , would you be able to test? Thanks.

Have fun!

-Patrick

2 Likes

Hi Patrick,
I just installed and it seems to work great. Thank you so much.

Noel

Hi Patrick. I noticed that Bandcamp bitrate streaming is now only at 128kbps whereas until recently Bitrate was at CD quality 16bit/44.1khz. Any idea why this low bitrate? Thanks.
p.d. I just downloaded the v0.1.4. beta version.

It has always been 128kbps (mp3)… The 44.1kHz/16-bit is not indicative of actual quality. It just means the 128kbps stream is played at this sample-rate / bit-depth, but due to lossy compression a lot of audio data is lost.

Hello,

I am having an issue with GUI formatting, silimar to mentioned above. However, changing the plugin version does not solve the issue. Tried 0.12, 0.13 and 0.15 stable version with similar effect.
How can I solve this issue?

This was fixed in v1.0.3 , currently in beta channel.

1. Uninstall current version
  2. Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  3. Restart Volumio
  4. In Volumio plugin store, under Bandcamp Discover plugin, click Details button and choose latest Beta version to install

(All steps mandatory)

Tried beta, it works! Many thanks and cheers!

Updated v1.1.0, currently in beta channel of the plugin store:

• My Bandcamp: add support for cookie-based fetching, thereby allowing access to private collections and high-quality streams of purchased media.
  • Fix stream URLs sometimes broken – seems to occur in some Bandcamp Daily articles. URLs are now tested and refreshed if necessary before playback.

If you see “HQ VBR” in the playback info, then you are playing high(er)-quality MP3 streams (and your cookie works):

These variable bitrate (hence “VBR”) MP3s are what you get when streaming purchased media on the Bandcamp website and mobile app.

To install from beta channel:

• Uninstall current version, if any.
  • Restart Volumio.
  • Make sure you have enabled “Plugins Test Mode” in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Go to the plugin store and click the “Details” button under “Bandcamp Discover”.
  • Install latest beta.

(All steps mandatory)

3 Likes

Fetching the cookie was fun, I had no idea what I was doing, but followed your excellent instructions (how to obtain a cookie) blindly. It works!
Thanks again @patrickkfkan

Maybe add a last step to your instructions:

• Disable “Plugins Test Mode” after installing the beta plugin.

I don’t think it matters. In Volumio, you really have to go out of your way to install a beta :wink: .

Thanks as always @patrickkfkan for your work.
I’m adding what Bandcamp writes on its pages regarding the quality of playback in streaming of elements in your collection:

What format/quality are the streams on Bandcamp?
They’re MP3-128s. However, if you’re in the app and on Wi-Fi, items you’ve purchased stream as MP3-V0s (approximately 250 kbit/s on average).

1 Like

it works like a charm! this is brilliant!