New Volumio Spotify Plugin Open Beta-Testing

Sorry mate, free and open source is all great when your system is some DiY thing you mess around with…

If you are selling a commercial streamer, advertising Spotify support then you can’t shift the blame to open source.

I mean this is from for example MiniDSP.com
SHD_Series

Then be clear and say Spotify via unsupported plugin.

And people will pay for other products that have PROPER Spotify support.
Volumio is a commercial entity. You can’t use open source when it suits you to sell your products and services, but then say you don’t “have the time” to fix things. Sorry. Then call it a DIY project…

@McMuffin
Are you still here? Why not check before making these statements? It’s free and always has been.

1 Like

Mr simone I never said it’s not free… Please read into the nuances. I’ve been told I am not nuanced enough, so I use more words and try and say this as best I can.

I said Volumio takes a open source thing, for free yes. And then wraps it into THEIR commercial product. Which THEY then sell, and earn revenue on.

This OEM commercial product doesn’t say it’s an open source plugin does it? They just slap a Spotify logo onto it and say Spotify support. Not Spotify support via, a commercial Volumio product, but with this like you know open source code random people off the internet wrote, but we don’t know how it works, so we don’t have resources/time to fix.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that is wrong to commercialize stuff, I mean you got to run all the myVolumio stuff somehow right??

But at the same time, when they are problems, you can’t then say oh sorry, it’s an open source contribution, and not part of our core code. So we don’t have “time to” to support it…

Do you know see how what I am saying isn’t very different from @jol says?

I was just very surprised, I thought this whole fiasco was only for volumio premium, but to see that they extend this attitude to commercial streamers is yeah, well not very professional…
Also ethically questionable in my books to profit off others work if you can’t even support it… But that is a whole different matter. :v:

Anyway, I’m clearly not welcome in your great community, for call a spade a spade… So I head out.
Good job keeping your customers!!

Very well stated! Proves my point exactly, Mr McMuffin!
I pay for premium Volumio, I have an expensive miniDSP SHD Studio!
In the purchase of both I considered the fact that you could stream Spotify (among others) as very important.
I do not care about “community DIY projects” and homemade plugins!
I have paid for a certain service, so please provide!

And where do read that Spotify is part of a paid service?

VOLUMIO PREMIUM

All free features plus:

Use Volumio Premium on up to 6 devices
Multiroom Sync Playback
Manifest User Interface
Automatic Sync of Personal items
Remote connection to up to 6 devices
Native TIDAL and Qobuz integration
TIDAL Connect
CD Playback and Ripping
Bluetooth Audio Playback
Highresaudio.com Integration
Digital and Analog Inputs Playback
Music and Artists Credit Discover

You know what, Wheaten…I sometimes wonder if people who pay for ‘features’ actually bother to check on exactly what these are? I suspect that because payment is involved erroneous entitlement is assumed. LOL

miniDSP SHD studio is not a Volumio product, it is made from another company that use a custom Volumio OS for their product.

In your case you should complain with the manufacturer of that product if some advertised features do not work

besides that, the team is aware of the issues of the current release, is on top of that but is not as easy at it looks like, please be a bit patient and they will be solved

I agree! The fact that a “less than perfect” version of Volumio is a “feature” miniDSP, as a company should confront Volumio with is obvious.
The problem of the missing plugins will, nevertheless, end up at Volumio to be fixed.
MiniDSP has bought an OEM solution from Volumio! I have bought a product from miniDSP! Either way, this is a Volumio problem!
I also have, in addition, a premium edition of Volumio.
My grievances stands!
I have no choice but, to be patient!
I just wanted to present a somewhat different take on the “missing” plugins!

1 Like

This is a picture I found under music integration!

Download, Install & Enjoy all the FREE features for bit-perfect audio:

System loaded entirely on RAM and optimized for lightweight operations.

Works with any USB 2.0 DAC

Raspberry Pi and Odroid 12S DACs supported natively

Hotspot network for first configuration for wireless hardware

Mount CIFS and NFS Network Attached Storage, with auto-discovery function

Support all filetypes:

FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Mp3, DSD and more
UPNP Playback
Airplay Playback
DSSD Over PCCM support, for non Direct-DSD compatible hardware
Integrated WebRadio directories
Custom playlist editing and creation
Multilanguage
Image background support
Alarm and Sleep function

More functionality with our Plugins:

Music Services:

Many plugins for Audio Interface, System Control, System Hardware and User Interface-related, functionalities.

These are the free features promised by Volumio! The Premium functions is extra on top of these!
TheCharbits:
“Erroneous entitlement”??
As you can see from my screengrabs above, my claims are not based upon some
“erroneous entitlement”!! LOL back!

But it’s not advanced features. Take the Project streambox S2 ultra.

They just say Spotify. When you buy that product, you expect it to work!

Now I agree, project AUDIO should wake up and see that Volumio offers these things via community developed non “core” plugins, and probably offer something more professional for their software.

If this was some DiY project that is fine, but it is a commercial product that Volumio has sold to an OEM, with the open source “free” plugin as well. So while it is fine for Volumio to get revenue from the free plugin, when it comes time to fix it, they say they don’t have the time to work on a open source portion of their code?? That isn’t the type of company I will support.

About the premium Volumio not including Spotify.

Taking @Wheaten 's view, when I buy a penthouse, and suddenly the bricks fail in the apartment under me, then I will obviously be annoyed. My penthouse sitting on the street is no fun.

Side note, how do I turn off these emails bringing me back here?

1 Like

If you buy a device with Alexa inside, not developed by Amazon, but developed and sold by another manufacturer using some code provided by Amazon, will you complain with Amazon if it doesn’t work, of with the manufacturer of that product?

If your phone runs Android and you have an issue with your phone, you complain with the manufacturer or with Google?

@jol our posts crossed. But I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.
When I say something I get told to calm down and " appreciate all the effort"

Which I would for a hobby project for sure, but…

Mate, nice Amazon comparison… They also use open source code, package it and sell it as a service and profit off others work :wink:

But being me, I’ll complain about it everywhere… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Lets not complicate this! For simplicity: I have bought Volumio Premium based on the fact that Volumio markets the inclusion of Spotify!
Not having “time” to fix the missing plugin is a yard or two away from fulfilling their salespitch!

1 Like

I am still waiting for Mozart to reply to my email.
His musical notes off the 40th symphony can’t be played on the vuvuzela.

2 Likes

I don’t get who the dig is aimed at, but what the hack, I’ll bite.

Guess it’s a free Volumuo plugin based vuvuzela? That’s where you go wrong, just play it off Spotify!

Oh wait. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

you are repeating yourself now we know what you think about this plugin and volumio.
it starts to get annoying.

1 Like

Ok, everybody’s views got expressed, sometimes way more than necessary. Now let’s stop going off topic.

I won’t even bother debunking all the misleading claims that have been made in the last posts.

This thread is about reporting issues for the new spotify plugin, and provide useful info that can help us get it sorted properly.
Let’s use it for that.

1 Like

In other news, I figured out my issue on my own, thanks anyway.