NEW VERSION 3.0.6
What this changes:
- Disabled volume sync to avoid volume jumps and excessive API call request
- Clear queue when Spotify Connect starts (avoid skipping)
- Require extended scopes tokens only if user is logged in
- If you are playing from within Volumio and start another Spotify session from your mobile or PC, the track will skip to the next. Just click again to the track you want to play, and it will play. NOTE: Queue will be cleared if it contains spotify track when you start a connect session.
IMPORTANT! Everyone on a version lower than this, PLEASE UPDATE YOUR PLUGIN TO THIS VERSION!
To do so:
- Uninstall the plugin you have
- Restart your device
- Install new version 3.0.6
Then, a note about current development status. Considering the big difficulties we are having in delivering a stable plugin, we did a deep analysis of the technical stack involved.
Turns out that to solve all the issues completely, and have 100% stable plugins, we do have to do some architectural restructuring of the code of Vollibrespot. This is also a good chance to update everything to the latest version of librespot (which is updating its API as well, as there seems some new issues between Spotify infrastructure and librespot).
For about 20 days there will be less response from the team in this (and others thread) as we enter now in reduced development capacity due to summer vacations.
So, long story short, to have a 100% good plugin, more time is needed and we will be able to deliver it not before the end of the summer.
Rest assured, no effort is being spared so far, and won’t be.
Thanks to everyone is reporting issues and suggestions here, without your help it would have been much harder!
The latest and greates version is 3.0.4 . You can install this from the Plugins store (DO NOT INSTALL MANUALLY)
IMPORTANT NOTE: THERE IS ONE ISSUE LEFT
If you play from Spotify from Volumio UI and then from Spotify Connect (directly from Spotify app itself) you might get some weird behaviour like skipping tracks and so forth. So suggestion is, to only use one mode (or browsing from UI or Spotify Connect). If you want to use Connect, make sure you clear your queue from Spotify tracks.
From a recent debugging session, it turns out that people that are unable to see their device as connect option have both plugins (old spotify connect plugin) and the new one installed.
So, if you are in this situation:
- Uninstall both plugins (volspotconnect2 and spotify)
- Restart volumio
- Install the new official plugin only
GOOD NEWS! I’ve managed to put a lot of work into the Spotify plugin, and solved quite a lot of issues reported by you guys.
As always, thanks for the feedbacks and reports. This time it has been especially helpful since Spotify has some geo-related issues which are not obvious to fix.
This is what has been improved in the latest version (3.0.3)
Use different workaround for not found tracks
Avoid token expiration for control actions
Fix crash if name contains hyphens
Fixed funny behaviour of volume control
Fixed conflicts between browsing mode and connect mode
Do not play unavailable tracks in region
Fix potential conflict with old plugin version settings
The plugin is now released, so feel free to enjoy! And, if there are more issues, please report them here.
IMPORTANT! Remember to provide infos when you report an issue. We need to know
- Explain the issue with the most details
- Tell us your system (PI etc), DAC, Volumio version
- IMPORTANT: Send the log How to send a log link for a bug report? and paste link here (just after the issue occurs)
This is no longer relevant, as we just released this plugin in the store.
This means that we removed the old spotify and volspotconnect plugins, and there is just one single plugin.
So, from now on, we will have a single plugin to have the best Spotify experience in Volumio.
Thanks a lot to everyone which participated in this beta test, this would not have been possible without your precious feedback.
Dear Volumioners, due to a recent change in Spotify, the old Volumio Spotify plugin stopped working.
Urged by the community, Volumio Team decided to roll up its sleeves and code a newer, better Spotify plugin.
What this new plugin brings:
- Spotify Connect Functionality (play Spotify to Volumio from your Spotify App)
- Spotify Browsing directly in Volumio
- Better Volume Control
- Volumio’s excellent Sound quality
Before releasing this plugin to ALL Volumio users, we want to make sure it’s working 100% and does not have any evident issue. So this is why we are organizing this open beta testing: we want to see what issues occur and fixt them before releasing to the overall community.
So, if you want to help, If you encounter problems, bugs, inconsistencies report them to us. Remember to include the following informations:
- Which device
- Which version
- DAC, Wireless Connection or Wired
- Type of account
- What is the problem (be as accurate as possible especially on how to replicate it) and what is the behaviour
- Possibly, send a log just after the problem occurs and paste the link here. See: How to send a log link for a bug report?
How to beta test:
- Uninstall both Spotify and Spotify Connect Plugin
- Restart your device
- Enable SSH (see How do I enable ssh connection? ) (username: volumio, password: volumio)
git clone https://github.com/volumio/volumio-plugins-sources.git --depth=1 cd volumio-plugins-sources/spotify/ volumio plugin install
(type y and press enter to install)
- Go to plugins, enable the Spotify Plugin
- From now on, you can play via the Spotify App
- If you want to browse your playlists, track etc from Volumio, click on Settings and add your credentials
If you want to show appreciation for the work we’ve put into this plugin (and Volumio in general) please consider subscribing to our premium plan. Not only you show us that you canre, but you get a lot of awesome features that you can use with spotify (for example multiroom synced playback from Spotify Connect, and nice metadata showing on the manifest UI)