New Volumio Spotify Plugin Open Beta-Testing

I agree with you, but this behaviour has nothing to do with Volumio. I think it’s worth reporting that to the librespot project ? (the open source library used in this plugin)

Guys, sad to report there are no news on our end… We hear your frustration and it’s something that frustrates us as well.

Long story short: our dev team is fully flooded with maintenance, bug-fixing and all that is needed to run this project.

As I mentioned in the past, to make this plugin work reliably, a total refactoring of the plugin is required to use the newer version of librespot (which has updated Spotify’s APIs). Unfortunately, as of now we can’t commit to such rewriting unless we receive some help. This was and is on our top priority list, but we keep getting new things to do which take precedence.

If someone is willing to provide some help, here’s what we need:

• Someone fluent in python, which can help us “bridge” the new librespot library with Volumio.
  • Someone which has decent experience with Volumio’s plugin system that can help us with fine-tuning the implementation.

If there is someone willing to help, we really need some helping hands on this one. For those interested please PM me. If we manage to get some help, this can be accomplished quickly.

If we don’t, it’s still our priority to have it fixed, but we don’t know an ETA considering the current situation.

4 Likes

nice update, it was necessary, thank you :+1:

Hello to the community,
I am struggling with my connection between Volumio and Spotify, both Premium service, it constantly falls.
Link to the log pasted below:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/6GNVmyn.html
Thank you all for the support.
Ciao, Marco

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Volumio v3 spotify plugin

Is the spotify plug in being worked on, or Is this a dead issue and will become a removed plug-in?

100% agree
Additionally I have complains on volumio GUI issues which of course didn’t fixed in new 3x version (because they stick to same ideology)
With last increase to 60 Eur/year Volumio just became ridiculous pain in ass to all smart people.
And last word - min raspberry pi 4 kit cost as much as wiim mini, but you should add here volumio subscription which in 3-4 years will accumulate to hundreds of money and probably only increase wiith time - its 100% dumb … :slight_smile:

I do not think that you can eat 4 pizza, 4 beers and 4 juice in these days … with 60 euros …in a restaurant .

1 Like

And the pizzas look disgusting after a few months!

Considering how much time I spend enjoying music via Volumio, I find the fee is more than ok. Plus there’s a pretty full functioning free version.

1 Like

NOTICE:

There is currently an issue with the download of the spotify plugin from the Volumio plugins store. Basically the install of the plugin will fail.

We are aware of the issue and we are working around the clock to fix it, we will update here when its fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience

2 Likes

The 3.0.4 version still works for a quick and temporary fix.
(only accessable by setting Volumio in “Plugin test mode” at volumio.local/dev)

I think at this point it is clear that the volumio dev team doesn’t have the skill set to solve this problem. Every other audio company in the world has made a smooth transition to the new spotify api, only volumio can’t get it done.
I’m cancelling my subscription. I will give moode audio a try, despite not liking their GUI.
Maybe you should consider giving up volumio and builda GUI for Moode, since your programming skills seem rather limited.
I know these are harsh words, but as I paying customer I feel that I don’t deserve to be treated like this. If you can’t get your job done, at least don’t charge for it.

@BSSM

Sorry to read your unfunded response, that mainly consist with made up facts. You should be proud and consider writing fairy tails!!!

The first Spotify plugin was written by the community, when the used library was cancelled by Spotify and no-one within the community wanted to take over development, Volumio stepped in and filled the gap. Even though they have little resources to do it, they did. And yes there are still some issues that will be resolved during the course of time.

Where did you pay for Spotify, not with volumio?
if you don’t understand the plugin system, it’s not smart to act like you do or even claim you paid for it.

If you have something constructive to say, please do. If not don’t reply.

2 Likes

What an unnecessarily nasty comment. It is of course your right to cancel if you are unhappy and impatient, but really no need to throw insults around.

2 Likes

@volumio
Just updated the Spotify plugin to v 3.0.7 and the queuing issues seem to be completely gone!
Tried playing a playlist from within the plugin, all played in the right order without skipping (this already worked for me). Then I played a different playlist from the Spotify app on my phone and everything still worked perfectly (this did not work in 3.0.6 for me). Switching back and forth between plugin and app and everything is working exactly as it should be. Thanks!

Rpi4, USB DAC, Volumio 3.396, Spotify 3.0.7

2 Likes

thank you simon, what a brillant move, Santa Claus has to behave himself :joy::heart:

1 Like

@chourmovs_vs Is it the same for you? I’ve been running a huge Spotify playlist for the last 2 hours and so far it’s faultless.

Hi, just tested and yes the most significant issues seem to be fixed - YIPPIE YEAHHH !!!

Tested on Volumio v3.398 and Spotify v3.07 on a Raspberry3 with ALLO BOSS.

The only thing i can see, that still is not working is pressing the play button directly from the list of search results - i still have to click on it first an press play there - then it is working perfect. But that’s no show stopper - as long as one is aware of this behaviour.

So supercool - best Xmas gift. :slight_smile:

I will go on using it and will report any other issue - if still exists.

Thank you so much - to whom ever fixed it so far.

And to the ones that could not live with the previous version - i could - by strictly only using the “connect” part - which never did really annoy me since this worked correctly ( think since v3.03). But i also prefer to be able to select from the Volumio UI as well.

My superbest Regards
Josef

didn’t test yet, tomorrow I’ ll give it a try also
Who did the job exactly at volumio ?

It’s really fixed. Searching within the plugin and switching tracks, playlists is also faster. Zero anomalies when switching between app and plugin. Congratulations to the devs!

(Made a backup of my SD card, always good to have a perfect iteration on the shelf!)