New Version of Volumio for Rpi - Bugfixes and improvements

Hello,
On RasPyfi1.0 I had glitches (cracks) very often.
On Volumio 1.1, when it works :angry: , I can’t remove all glitches but I can reduce them by configurating in the player menu :

• audio output : DA
  • mixer : disabled
  • buffer 2048 or 4096
  • buffer before play 20%

Those parameters work on my configuration with 44.1KHz/16bits Flac files but I still have little glitches (cracks) once a minute or two ! So not perfect right now, but I hope we will soon reach Nirvana :wink:

I advise you to convert all your Wav music files to Flac. It takes less space on your disks and less ressources on transmition (lower bitrates) and the audio quality is the same because Flac is lossless !

Regards,

Thank you guys for all of those feedbacks. Now I have a precise idea of what’s wrong and how to fix it. I just take 2 or 3 days of vacation (really need it) and then I’ll start building a new version from scratch, and I’m really convinced it will be a huge step forward since now I have a wider knowledge base, thanks to all this reports. The fact is that I have just my system, and on it it works flawlessly. But every system is a story by its own, so getting something universal is a bit of a challenge.
So, a little patience, and we’ll have it running smootly soon.

No worries :slight_smile:

Enjoy your time off! :slight_smile:)))

all the best,
Adam

Running beta 1.1 on raspberry connect via Lan to nas with DragonFly Dac. All music files are aiff. Lots of pops and crackles. Any suggestions? Have tried various setting changes to no avail.
I get the pops and crackles when I try to connect and play via airplay also - that is just with MP3’s.

Love the product - ran raspyfi with very similar results. Let me know if you need more details

Could we also please have a fix for the dreaded web UI not loading anymore? For some reason the web UI can stop and I’ve been unable to find any work around in the forums to date other than start from scratch!

Jep…this is a small prob.
You can solve it to ssh and restart the mpd player.

sudo /etc/init.d/mpd restart

Karsten

Yes, this gets my MPD server going again and so MPD clients will work again. It doesn’t however fix the built in Volumio Web UI - it still just hangs and eventually fails to find page - I haven’t been able to find any solution to get it working again once broken.

Maybe a DHCP-Problem? Does the Web UII work in another browser, if it hangs in the first browser?

Nope, not a DHCP or DNS problem. Have a fixed IP assigned by the router and I always address the RPi using it’s IP address. Have tried a couple of different browsers / computers. Odd that after a new image it goes for a while and then fails never to recover…???

Are there any hints in the nginx-logfiles?
Does
(sudo) killall nginx
(sudo) nginx
help?

Hi just to let you know that I have resolved “MPD database update takes forever” issue. It was caused by faulty mp3s. I have discovered this by tailing mpd log. After it founds some problematic files (appears to be headers problem) it scans them multiple time and appears to be stuck. I needed to restart mpd at that point and remove files/folders from windows box. Then I run update again and repeat the process. Now I just need to enjoy music. I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Have been looking at the files found by Volumio1.1 on my NAS in relation to the ‘missing 1st track’ issue; every directory with more than 3 tracks are missing the first track out of Volumio but only if the files are .FLAC. If the type is .MP3 then all appear. There seems to be no way of persuading Volumio that the files are, in fact, there…

Chris M

Weird… A directory with 4 FLACs and 4 MP3 copies, all showing in Volumio. Cut the MP3s out, make a sub-directory, paste them in and then get Volumio to update the parent folder. Lo and behold, the first FLAC is no longer in the listing, the MP3s and their sub-directory are shown but the first FLAC??? Nowhere in Volumio, that’s for sure…

Chris M

Regarding the need to restart mpd, I’ve found a workaround… if I edit /etc/init.d/mpd and add sleep 60 at the top of the file, everything seems to start okay. It seems like mpd is starting too early and the network isn’t up in all configurations. In particular, I’m using a USB Wifi adapter and my network is slow to come up.

Note that I had a similar issue with gmediarenderer (which I use for uPNP) as well, and solved it similarly.

This isn’t the best solution in the world, since it assumes the network will be up in 60 seconds, but it works.

Hi guys! I’m desperately trying to fight new year’s eve hangover… Once that gets done, I’ll publish a revised 1.1, with bootloader fixed and i2s DAC support enabled.
Then, I’ll start developing a brand new Version… With more fixes and improvements

Get well soon!

I’m also noticing a lot of clicks when playing HD stuff and also sometimes during SD music.
I upgraded from some raspify beta so I don’t know if the earlier Volumio releases did better with this - was it better in an earlier version? Then I might downgrade until the issue is resolved, there’s really not much point in 24/96 Playback if there are so many click noises in it :confused:

With usb audio output you will have a click here and there.
You have to live with this or …try hdmi output.

Karsten

Hi,
ANY news about the revised 1.1 release?
Best regards,
Christian

Hi

I were looking for volumio beta 1.0 release because I’m using HiFiBerry DAC, by typing volumio 1.0 in google and found that at sourceforge there is a beta1.2 released 01.27.14.
Why has this not been announced at volumio?

regards Bjarne