MyVolumio Feedbacks

I have been scouting for something to play music that is NOT power hungry.
Volumio fitted the bill!!

I am using a OLD powered stereo speaker set with SUB (15 years old perhaps - works a charm)

I have reported a small issue but seems like release 2.452 sorted it ELSE I will re-image using Linux.

I love Volumio.
Plays whatever can be called a music file: NAS, Radio and my latest favorite YouTube music.

Although a few radio stations keep giving errors, but I will post that separately.

I would love to have muliple “Stop Music” schedules like week, weekend , evening say 12 where I can pick start play or stop music for specific day(s) repeat or once off. - Can be used as an wake-up alarm clock playing music!!!

Perhaps the ability to cron schedule a reboot once every week . I could not get cron to run the scheduled reboots :confused:

I am investigting it, and my initial feeling is that gapeless playback on qobuz is mainly related on how fast is your internet connection. But I will keep on checking!

We’re working hard to improve the search!

Excellent idea! I think we can code our own version of this!

Great idea! We will allow for that! Thanks for suggesting!

Hi Martin, this is a regression due to latest changes. Can you confirm on which version you are and what kind of qobuz account you have please?
Thanks!

Katana is supported in MyVolumio releases

Qobuz/Tidal search: To have the maximum sample rate and bit depth in the search results would be something useful.
At least for Qobuz it seems to be available

From the Qobuz API search docu

"maximum_sampling_rate": 44.1, "maximum_bit_depth": 24,

We’re working on that :wink:

All the albums are unfortunately not found in Tidal.

Hello
Thank you for the new release!
Of course I immediately updated all my Volumio players. :smiley:
Many thanks for the additional selection in Qobuz to see new releases - that’s very helpful!

regards
rost21A

Let me start with stating that I really love the new MyVolumio system! A few weeks ago I bought an Allo DigiOne via your site, and this has rekindled my love for music again completely, to a raging fire actually!

Advertising is something which might have some more attention perhaps once you come out of beta, as I at least completely did not see the value of MyVolumio when I received the free coupon with my order. Only when I started digging into the use of Tidal, I realised that this was my ticket to audio-bliss!

Now let me also state some things which would make me even happier with my MyVolumio music system.

The Tidal integration is already much improved with the recent update, however I see that the lists which are supplied by Tidal when browsing through genres, are cut of at a relatively short number of albums. It would be great if the Tidal application experience would come to us via the Volumio app as well.

Using the Allo DigiOne and a home made DAC, makes that I notice the switching off of the digital audio between two tracks very much. An option to keep the digital signal live even when there is no music streaming would avoid nasty clicks which sometimes result from this switching. Also this would enable a seamless experience for gapless (live) albums.

The way of working with the queue is beyond me… I find that sometimes albums seem to get added to it, while other times they do not. Is the usage of the queue described somewhere?

The artist images that Tidal shows on my Android phone sometimes are scaled incorrectly, some artists come out fine, while others have an incorrect aspect ratio. Not sure if this can be fixed, as the original data is not always square I can imagine…

My personal playlist all of a sudden don’t show up anymore on MyVolumio, while they still show in the Tidal application. I see that albums and artists that I add to my My Collection are synced quickly to the MyVolumio environment however. Can I somehow repair the playlist sync?

As my MyVolumio system now works so splendidly, I also use it as my digital radio when listening to the news during my daily routine. For some reason the options to create favourites does not yet lead to the stations being added to the actual lists of favourites. I know that you are working in the syncing of favourites, so perhaps this is already on your radar.

Thank you so much for this great system, I really love it!

Kind regards,
Rob

Hi,

I like to play songs using the “Queue” in Volumio. Now, when playing songs I cannot tell which song comes from which source (MyVolumio brought the Tidal alive). In my case I’ll introduce an example of comparing songs between Spotify and Tidal. I can see the origin of the song like Spotify or Tidal by viewing the Playback tab as the logo is shown there but when viewing the Queue tab you cannot tell it until you play the song and change to Playback tab to see it.
Playback_Tab.jpg
Queue_Tab_Spotify_or_Tidal.png
Queue_Tab_Spotify_or_Tidal_Suggestion.png

Dear Rob,
thank you so much for your feedbacks! Useful and really motivating

We will:

• Fix TIDAL genres listing
  • Fix TIDAL playlist sync
  • Fix addition of WebRadio Favourites

Regarding the gapless playback, we’re working on it as it seems the most requested fix. This is also the most complex, but we are doing it!

That’s an excellent idea! We are doing it!

• Single login for Volumio.org, Volumio Shop, Volumio forum and MyVolumio. So you don’t need a huge brain just to login on our community.
    Yes. Would be WAY easier but I use a password manager so, moot point.

• Release of a state of the Art CD Ripper and Player
    YES! I know I may be in the minority but the reason I like using MyVolumio is one interface for ALL of my music. (Spotify, TIDAL, FLACS/MP3 Collection, TuneIn Radio, Web Radio, Ect ) If I could attach a USB CD Player and use Volumio interface and my DAC and get rid of my bulky CD player that would be great.

• Release of a stable and reliable Bluetooth integration
    YES! Similar to the above point but would mean I could replace my Alexa Dot as a Bluetooth receiver for my stereo setup to the Volumio with a far better DAC.

• Expansion of the plugin infrastructure, with the ability to rate, review and recommend plugins. Plus a new set of tools for plugin developers.
    It this means more cool stuff, than great. (Soundcloud?! Bandcamp?!) Mostly passive point for me personally.

• Remote playback of Music stored on your Volumio device
    YES! THIS PLEASE! Having my FLAC collection available to stream on my phone remotely from my home network would be AWESOME!!!
    If you guys could only add one feature this would be what i’d most like to see.

• Auto backup of settings, albumarts and user data
    Cool but not a huge deal for me.

• Advanced metadata discovery and music browsing
    YES! Pretty is always better and I would love to see an approach with some info/art to accompany the listening experience. Id really like a little more immersive experience (Tips hat to Roon)

(Taken from MyVolumio101 Page^^^)

• Volumio AI Integration
    - I’m all about it. I’d love to see a “mic button” in the Volumio interface (particular the mobile remote app so no extra hardware is required) to ask advance commands. What i’d ALSO REALLY LOVE would be a simple ALEXA SKILL/PLUGIN!!! Examples… “Play Phish On TIDAL” “Play the Album Rift from Spotify” “Start,Stop,Skip,Back, FF, RR” , Ect. Simple Voice Controls integrated with hardware tons of people already use would be great IMHO !

• Multiple Streaming Service Playlist integration as mentioned in this thread - YES!

• Streaming Service indicators in the Queue UI - YES!

• Fix Gapless with all music sources - YES!!! I listen to TONS of live music albums…

NEW IDEA/FEEDBACK –

Would it be possible to make the tiles on the home “Browse” page re-arrange-able. I’d like to customize the order of which services/plugins/ect show up first.

THANKS YOU GUYS ROCK. MYVOLUMIO 4 LIFE!! You guys have me hooked already.

I only recently found Volumio. I needed something to play DSD into my Schiit Loki (DoP only) DAC and it’s been doing that wonderfully. Getting it set up was shockingly easy and I’ve been very impressed with the interface and its responsiveness. I’m a TIDAL subscriber but didn’t have a way of streaming TIDAL into my Schiit Bifrost (PCM only) DAC aside from connecting my phone to it.

I was a little reluctant to subscribe to MyVolumio to be able to stream TIDAL, but I understand the added complexity and cost when dealing with, what I assume is, copy-protection related legal and technical obstacles. So I decided to give it a try. The other option I was considering was buying a $500 streamer, which is equivalent to subscribing to MyVolumio for more than 12 years :slight_smile:

I’m streaming TIDAL right now over MyVolumio and it’s working great. I had a little set up trouble since I think my phone’s browser was display an older cached version of the Volumio menu and it wasn’t showing me that I could login to MyVolumio. Using my laptop I was able to activate my Raspberry Pi.

I’ve not yet spent enough time with the TIDAL interface in Volumio to have any well developed opinions. I’ll +1 someone else’s post about wanting to see which albums are MQA.

I am really curious about the network path when streaming TIDAL. Is my device streaming directly from TIDAL? In general, I’d love to hear more about the technical aspects of how the MyVolumio service facilitates streaming, aside from the need to keep some code closed.

Thanks for the great feedback, glad that you’re enjoying myvolumio.

The TIDAL master reporting feature is under works and we’ll release it in the following months.

Regarding network streaming of TIDAL: yes, your device is streaming directly from TIDAL itself.
When you do a search this happens:

• We have a daemon written in GO (made this choice because GO is super fast when making multiple HTTP requests and it’s very lightweight) which handles communication with TIDAL service.
  • The search is being sent from the UI, to Volumio Backend which then sends it to the Daemon. The Daemon performs some intelligent caching of results to speed up browsing in some circumstances, otherwise it queries TIDAL servers.
  • Based upon your quality choice and your geolocation we retrieve informations about the track you want and the link to the actual streaming content.
  • The streaming content is usually a FLAC remote url (with some clever authorization mechanism that we handle in the daemon)
  • We then pass the streaming content to MPD, which treats it as a FLAC file retrieved from a URL.

So as you can see all the technicalities and trickeries are mostly to browse, authenticate and fetch data from the remote services, while the last step (file playback) is the most direct possible (in fact no different than playing a FLAC file from network).
This is why IMHO using streaming services directly with MyVolumio is preferrable to DLNA streaming (as DLNA might resample the content without warnings).

Instead of the free voucher code (expired now), may I suggest that you allow “free trial periods” for Virtuoso/Superstar Plans, say for a period of 1 week or 1 month? Similar to what has usually been offered by many various subscription fee-based services such as Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Netflix, and so on. This will allow users to test your subscription service, check whether its suitable and up-to-expectations, and then decide whether to continue subscription.

Also, maybe I missed it somewhere… its not mention whether paid subscribers can cancel the Virtuoso/Superstar Plan at ANY time (subject to completion of a period cycle) because the recurring payments are automatically charged. I did not subscribe yet so I don’t know whether there is any “selectable button” to cancel plan which automatically stops the recurring payments.

I do understand that everyone at Volumio deserves to be paid for the hard work and efforts spent on this project. However, I wish the monthly subscription could have been lower because this is not a one-time-fee thing. Other subscription fee based services such as Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, Netflix have recurring costs to pay to artists/owners for using their materials. Volumio don’t have such costly incidental expenditure and only have R&D costs. Maybe for Europeans, Euro 2.99 per month is a very very tiny amount but internationally, for many countries this amount translates to a much bigger cost that is less affordable. For now at least, what we get for paying is basically resting upon Tidal and Qobuz integrated add-on (while Spotify is free plug-in) with “remote connection and auto sync” which for many, are just not enough to justify the amount of monthly fee to be paid. Anyway, I stress that I am not against any subscription fee here, my issue here is the amount that is deemed justifiable. Just my personal opinion here and I do accept that others may disagree with me.

Mmm… is it possible to, say, have a “lifetime” plan for 1 device for the cost of, say, Euro 35 or other amount which Volumio deem is fair? If not possible for the long term, at least make it as a “launching period offer” for a month or other time-period?

Anyway, if I have offended anyone here with my comments, please accept my apologies. Appreciated the wonderful work you guys have done in the development of Volumio.

Hi Folks,

formerly I was wondering what benefit could it be integrating these streaming services. I have my music library and web radio - what more could I ask for?

Nevertheless - now I’m using MyVolumio for only ten days and - wow! - I’m exhausted about the new opportunities! It’s defitely a new dimension of enjoying music. As Michelangelo stated somewhere: Music is about to dematerialize. There’s probably no need for buying CDs anymore if you have access to almost every new announced music via streaming services in high quality.

Excellent work! Carry on!

Robert

Great job!

Thanks for the improved search and grouping by artist/album/track of the results on Qobuz.
However, I was wondering whether a grouping by tab (rather than scrolling) could be convenient. For instance, I like to look to different versions of a same song (I’m a jazz listener, and there can be quite a lot of them). In that case, I know from the very beginning that only the search by track is relevant to me, and scrolling down to have them is a bit awkward. And also, it would be nice to have the list of the results expanded when scrolling down to see more of them.

I also noticed that, as far as I can tell, when browsing some of my Qobuz playlists, if the latter contains too many tracks (more than what is specified in the My Musix/Qobuz interface?), only a limited number of tracks is added to the queue when clicking on the playlist to have it played. I think that every track of the playlist, without limitation, should be added to the queue.

Anyway, thanks. I really enjoy myvolumio.

But how much would all these subscriptions cost on top of the Volumio fee?

TIDAL and QOBUZ Streaming Services

We worked really hard to bring native TIDAL and QOBUZ streaming to MyVolumio users. Being a native integration, many issues due to DLNA resampling and compatibility will be avoided, allowing for bit-perfect Hi-Res streaming playback.

This Statement implies access to these services, so I signed up for 1 year Virtuoso, this is a load of “bulls**t”, nowhere does it explain that you have to have accounts already with Tidal and Qobuz. I would like to cancel MyVolumio Account and get my money back, Doesn’t offer me anything more than the classic Volumio did. I can already multiroom stream using TuneRelay, and all my music is stored on a NAS which I can access through Volumio.

Not Happy!!

Watch your tongue.

Of course you need accounts for TIDAL or QOBUZ, as you do with Spotify.
I thought there was no need to explain that, but reading this from you makes me understand that we can’t give anything for granted. We will add this explanation

Hello! New user of Volumio and MyVolumio here.

I started looking for a solution to stream MQA TIDAL at my home and it seemed I was in great luck as MyVolumio was just officially launched.

The setup I have (Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with an Meridian Explorer2 DAC) works flawlessly from a sound quality and MQA unfolding perspective! Thank you for that guys! It has been making me and a friend who uses the same setup very happy!

Concerning feedback, I see that most people already approached many of the points before in this thread, such as (i) ability to detect bitrate / MQA status on TIDAL (glad to know you are already working on that!); (ii) better sync of personal playlists on TIDAL (cannot find my personal playlists at all).

Something I think was not discussed before:

(a) The playback Interface seems to be suffering with TIDAL integration. It cannot show progress of the song in the right way. Every time I reload the page (or access the playback interface with the mobile app for example) it starts the progress count from zero, no matter if the song is playing for minutes already - that does not happen with local content;

(b) The same playback info is inaccurate concerning the song quality, as in the example attached. The song is 192Khz/24 bit, not 48Khz/24bit as the interface shows.

© The last.fm scrobbler does not seem to be able to scrobble songs played from TIDAL. It scrobbles fine files from my local NAS, not from TIDAL (I know there is a third party developer for the last.fm plugin but thought it was worth mentioning since it may be related to item “a” above - let me know if I can help in any way).

It is really impressive to see how great the integration is and works. Thank you for that, again, and congratulations on a job very well done!

Cheers from Brazil! :slight_smile:
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 11.43.51.jpg