Dual ES9038Q2M DAC from audiophonics.fr

The ES9038Q2M DAC driver in the Tinkerboard version is not fully compatible with the one used for the Audiophonics DAC the RPi.
It may work, but chances are, spdif and mute won’t work because that is where the driver differs.

google translated:

Hi, nice to meet you fabio!
I sent a volumio email, they advised me to talk to you: slight_smile:
I use volumio with the raspberry with optical or coaxial cable, I would like to know if volumio is compatible with this dac audiophonics ian canada receiverpi sound card
spdif i2s interface for raspberry.
Many thanks in advance!

2 Likes

What do you mean with this, you already have a DAC hat?
I believe you are in the wrong thread, because this thread is about the DualES9038Q2 Audiophonics DAC hat, not the one you mentioned.

Hey guys!
I’m looking for some DAC for my RPI to build a nice streamer+dac in a single case with colorful screen for Volumio UI. Also, I would like to have multiple inputs to switch between my TV and Volumio.
Do you think this solution is still good enough? Maybe, there is something more modern and nice performing?
Thanks!

Version 3 is now avaible here:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/blog-diy-audio/23-start-up-evo-raspdac-rasptouch-raspdac-mini-with-a-pre-configured-image.html

I still hope that we will get a plugin for the board so that we can use the update function.
It would also be nicer to be able to use official images.

I’ve given up that hope a long time ago, despite our offer to help. Nothing happened, “beaucoup de blabla” in the beginning but no progress.

The volume is very low and independent from volume control settings of Volumio.

Unfortunately i also did have these “beaucoup de blabla” impressions in an other case.
They are great in hardware - but in software questions there is only some progress but no continous support.
Anyway i do like these french guy’s.
Pretranslating by deepl etc. and trying to get in contact in french language often opens the door to our french neighbours :slight_smile:
I still hope they will see their chance with cooperation - yes it’s possible to buy their hardware easily in Europe - so why shouldn’t they be interested in selling more ?

@Judidudi: Did you already try a deepl translated communication with Audiophonics ? Don’t know your french language skills :wink:

We offered coorporation and support (from the community), they decided not to take it.

@gkkpch: did they express they don’t want cooperation or did they simply not react ?
In the first case i consider to delete my browser bookmark to their page - in the second one i would offer to get in “diplomatic contact” to them for a second try.

You have a PM

1 Like

hope does never die….
Audiophonics replied to me today that they had not have time und they have not progressed further in the development.

Hello,

We are not very used with Volumio plugins, as much for the technical part as the administrative part, that’s why we use scripts.
Any help is welcome, you can contact us and we will put you in touch with Olivier that manage RPI distributions.

2 Likes

I have just built this DAC. It works on USB and the sound is great. The total package is great except that the left display glass creates a blur (a minor). The Volumio3 image on the AudioPhonics website does not work, it works like this: Volumio thinks everything is ok, but no sound through i2s (set to AP sabre 2qm). And the custom LIRC remote setup is not correct, it does not work, which means there is no way to change input to optical, which I chase. I am stuck at the moment with only external USB input, as this is automatically recognized by the DAC. The optical? No reaction when stream is coming.

I tested the remote with another player image that they offer side by side with Volumio, and then the remote is (partly) working. Hence, the HW should be working and the sw needs revisions.

While Audiophonics has work to do revising their custom images, I wonder if anyone is willing to share a most definitely working image of an older date? I would like to test all features of this device. In my case I have a RME optical out soundcard that feeds this and another DAC in a multichannel setup.

Many thanks if so.

Another issue I am currently struggling with, is to have Volumio scan the locally connected usb drive filled with music. It sees the (many) album folders, but not one single track becomes available. Is there a trick to make this scan work properly?

A third issue is when I start a radio in my chase for at least some sound. That does not work, and the error message is "failed to enable output “default detected output (jack); Failed to connect to JACK server, status = 17”. So volumio seems to be using the JACK server. Any remedy for this? New with Volumio, I am unable to find a way to select output beyond setting i2s instead of “headphone out” or HDMI. Is there such a config setting in the gui of Volumio, or must I dig into Linux terminal?

yes, Olivier has done a good job. The PlugIn is ready and available at github. Only the integration in volumio plugin libary is still missing, unfortunately.

https://github.com/audiophonics/Evo_Sabre_Volumio3/

The board looks really great. Great that it has both RCA and XLR outputs. Very clean structure. I haven’t heard the board and don’t know its sound.
But when I look at the measurements from Audiosciencreview, the SINAD values are not bad, but they are not good either.
Too bad I wished for more…

rust21A

Did anyone tried to tinker this with 8.8” touch screen. ?? I am curious to know before I decide to take this route.

you should be able to provide some background here.
A topic regarding a DAC, not sure how it relates to a touch screen?

Hi the idea is to use the same DAC and connect to the wave share touch screen. Instead of using their OLED display output.

Or how to we integrate the touch screen using this DAC board.

Just reference of the screen https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays/11.9inch-dsi-lcd.htm