[Android app][Open Beta] Volumio Control native android application

Downloaded the 0.98.1 update through the playstore, great work with the latest changes and updates! :+1:

Noticed one minor UI issue - in portrait mode on big screens (tablet) if you go in to an artist overview on My top artists (Spotify) or My artists (Qobuz) (Don’t have Tidal) it cuts of the artist name in the top overview.

On a smaller screen (phone) it shows the full artist name.

1 Like

I actually noticed the same earlier aswell, the whole UI is bit messed up with tablets on portrait mode in there.

I’ll try to fix that tomorrow, need to make couple other small changes aswell.

Also found a bug within the app startup which caused the device finder to sometimes skip a device.

Another small UI thing, in the new favourites section it says songs also for artists, albums and streams in the text for how many liked you have in that segment.

And probably the “listen to your favourite music for xxx time” should be removed for those?

Hi Joni, I don’t know if you’ve already noticed the problem or not, since it concerns a plugin.
With the Bandcamp Discover plugin created by @patrickkfkan there are some graphical problems as you can see from the attached images.
The same plugin works well on the official app.

Yes, im aware of that and the latest update actually disables all plugin navigation that is not working correctly.

i will re-enable once i get it sorted out. (i just really hate Regex, which the reason why i disabled for now)

1 Like

This is not really the fault of the app, because Volumio UI is only meant to display plain text without decorations. I just added HTML markups to the item / list titles as a way of circumventing this.

1 Like

My hunt for minor UI quirks continues… :slightly_smiling_face:

Noticed another portrait mode on big screen (tablet) thing - in album view and list mode on Qobuz the HD indicator is a little bit big.

1 Like

Okay, so there seems to be some crashes happening again due to the new stuff(who would have guessed) which i need to take a look and fix, hopefully got time today at some point later.

meanwhile i redesigned the widget, it takes advantage of extracting the color from art now, with rounder corners →

2 Likes

Now yes also have some strange language error…
Mestaripiiros?? Impossible to pronounce, without your your tongue get twisted :slight_smile:

It’s not hard to pronounce if you are from Finland :slight_smile:

In my opinion overall very good Song to test audio system on.
(Artist: Anna puu, Song : Mestaripiirros)

Thanks for the hard work continually improving this great app.

I’ve got a couple of problems with the widget on my Moto G8 plus (Android 10).

The rounded corners only display on the RHS, and the background for those corners displays as white.

In addition, the text and icons for play control do not fit when the widget is sized to 4x1

1 Like

Need to take a look at that, seems to happen on my OnePlus as well if i use the default launcher, instead of nova.

I guess it’s the outer most layout which i haven’t explicitly set as transparent, but just set it’s shape. Nova launcher seems to handle it correctly, but not the default ones.

It seems that the rounded corners are “officially” supported only on Android 12 sadly, and on some of the 3rd party launchers, its a shame, but i will delete the rounded for now.

Okey, is someone here using phone with Android 12?

I can see frequent native code crash happening, sad part is these does not contain any reasonable stack trace, since the crash happens on lower level than the application. I really need your help to know when it happens to be able to try reproduce and then hopefully figure a fix to it.

Also, what features are were still missing, besides the settings pages?

Sorry, no Android 12 devices in my possession – only Android 11 until Samsung gets around to release that update for the S10.

Most features I would like to have is dependant on Volumio implementing them, like the option to sort stuff both for local files and in Qobuz/Spotify – like sort artist alphabetically.

One thing that could be nice is the possibility to change font type and colour on the text in the app,
and maybe if in the now now playing view could use a background colour tint from the related album cover – but now we are talking more UI design and not features, and the app maybe shouldn’t mimic the official app to much design-wise.

1 Like

Can’t help, having 11.*
About features: is it somehow possible in Tidal sort the playlists like the albums? Would be very helpful.

One quirk. I choose disc, then track from my USB disk library. If I go to disc from track and try to go back to track list result is somehow arbitrary. Sometimes first two of the track list or first two two times. Sometimes like it should be. Sometimes “Looks empty to me…” Maybe problems with ripped metadata. Anyway track list is ok when you open disc folder.

1 Like

You could test if the same happens with browser(then it’s metadata issue most likely)

The app parses the URI’s with same algorithm always no matter from where you navigate within the local library, so in theory it should always point to same place if the metadata is correct.

Anyway i will take a look at it, since i cannot guarantee that my implementation is flawless.

E: the sorting could be implement within the app, it’s just not too memory efficient that way.(and depending on where you are navigating the backend might only return barebones of information, so the only sorting that could be done is alphabetical by the titles of the items which is quite limited)

1 Like

Right, it happened with browser too. Strange that when you open disc/folder trac list and information seem to be complete.

2 Likes

Then it’s most likely metadata issue, or some other issue with volumio.

@volumio might have better insight why it happens.

Hi Joni,
i am owning an Android 12 device (Google Pixel 5). Maybe i can help you around with testing of the app. But i am not familiar with tracing android devices. I will need a short tutorial how to do this. I guess the next three days i am very busy but after the holidays i will try to support you :wink:

1 Like

I will mostly need help in finding when it crashes, when i know that i can possibly fix it.

1 Like