[Android app][Open Beta] Volumio Control native android application

Question - could the app show the HD icon on HD material (in Qobuz - and I guess Tidal) since it works in the Volumio UI?

Volumio UI:

App UI:

This I don’t know if it will work or if we like with sorting is dependent on Volumio itself to first implement it - but would it be possible to add a ”go to artist" function when you are viewing an album (in Qobuz, Spotify - & Tidal)?

Yes it could, i will put that on the Todo list if it’s not in there already.(i assume that the data is in there, since web GUI can show it)

I can double check, but i believe that backend is not returning artist/albums uri for most of the content, would be great if it did thought.

Perhaps @volumio could verify this, and tell if it’s planned addition.

The HD icon shows up in the app UI on the queue page, when the track has been played.

Yes, queue tracks does show the icon(it’s not baked in the cover art, but instead image on top of image, which is shown if the track contains some information that i can say it’s high res), that is because the tracks in queue do return more information from the backend, than ordinary tracks you see while browsing the different sections.

Ok, nothing should be easy! :wink:

[progress update]

• application settings implemented
  • navigation/browsing is now optimised and is equally fast across the board, if only one type of items are shown in either grid or listview.
  • hi-res marker genearalised for all content, it’s shown if the data is available, regardless of content type or view on the app.
  • webradio stations shown in listview instead of grid view, which result in longer station names shown, aswell as extra info about the station.

Edit: Favourites section now shows Albums/Playlist and Artist aswell, splitted by tabs, propably add radios too.
(This is only for Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify)

To go before i issue an update.

• artist screen rework (Done)
  • some volume control issue needs to be fixed.
  • need to fix minor memory leak. (Done)
2 Likes

Thanks so much for your work, the app is great!

1 Like

Maybe I’m old school :wink:, but after testing the new official app I’m back to using this alternative app.

3 Likes

Great to hear someone still uses this :slight_smile:

Im almost done with the next update, just need some testing that it would work properly.

I also need to study the volumio code a bit, to know if it can withstand ~15 parallel calls the some of its endpoints, to make the app bit faster with the new addition of centralised Favourite handling etc.

Edit: it seems that the backend can handle parallel request’s on PI4 atleast just fine.
i managed to cut the time of fetching favourites on my system from ~3.4s all the way down to ~0.7s which is quite huge improvement.(this time includes fetching favorite Albums, Artist and Tracks from tidal, qobuz and spotify/local and all the parsing and transformations i need to make for the data so that my UI can show it)

1 Like

Okay, list of changes →

• Favorites in one place
  • Application settings (top right corner, in the system menu)
  • Artist, Album views Show favorite heart now, which can be used to add/remove
  • Long press dialog can be used to add/remove favorites aswell.
  • Radio section as whole has gotten some love now.
  • Performance improvements for browsing.
  • And propably something else aswell.
3 Likes

I’m using the latest apk. No issues so far. Are you using Material Design for the UI?

Well, the base theme applied is material design theme, but i don’t think there is much left from that anymore. (So i guess in the end the answer would be no)

Hi Joni,

The app looks great. :+1:
One strange behavior though. If I use the screen to see what is currently playing (playback) and rotate from landscape to portrait or vice versa, it falls back to browse screen:

1 Like

Interesting I’ll take a look at that, which android version you have?

Andriod One V10 (build: 00WW_4_15D_SP10)

1 Like

You have more freedom to do designchoices that takes advantage of Android, touch screens etc.

The official app seems to follow the new Manifest UI quite strictly, so some design choices they made seems a bit strange in the app - like that the device back button takes you all the way back to where you choose your device and not the previous page.

So I will stick with your app as long you feel that you have the time and energy to develop & maintain it!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am and even mention it where I can. I think when it’s in the app store more people are able to find it :slight_smile:
You did a great job.

1 Like

Great work! I just miss the settings option and the one to view albums as a list.

1 Like

Let’s see what i can do for the list thing, should not be too much work.

About the volumio settings, I’ve looked into it multiple times and done some testing and can say that is a lot of work to do for in my opinion very small gain, after all how often something needs to changed from within the settings after initial setup.
I will add the device settings eventually but currently it’s in the very bottom of to do list.

1 Like

I haven’t thought about that, but can confirm the behaviour (this in 0.96.3)