[Android app][Open Beta] Volumio Control native android application

Atleast with big local libraries yes it is more responsive.

It’s an trade of, with native implementation you get speed, but you sacrifice multiplatform same time.

1 Like

hi Joni,
Thanks to the good app.
the look of the GUI, I found it good, and it runs very fast, browsing by cover in the music bil. is very good.

Do you know the MPD Client Cantata?
Cantate gather information to artist, album and song lyrics from wiki, last.fm, an so on and show it in the GUI.
To this, your app will became outstanding.

Thanks to the app
reboot

1 Like

This Should be doable i will put it in TODO list.

I would need to check if this is something that volumio sells in its “Superstar” plan, because i think it did something like this. If this is one of their paid features, i would rather not implement it, atleast not without permission from the Volumio team. (Because if i decide to implement such thing, its then available for all users of my app, not just the ones that paid for something)

1 Like

If I recall it well, Volumio fetches the info from the streaming services themselves. Even though it would be good to ask permission as this is kinda the same functionality. Would be awesome to have this without Superstar, but I can imagine if they don’t like the idea

Yeah, if it was me trying to sell my product and someone offered the same for free while building their entire thing on top of my system, i would not like it.

if the websocket/Rest api provide this information allready for superstar users, i will add it for sure, but then its only for the superstar users of volumio, just like with the official GUI. (But until the Qobuz integration is fixed so that i can get full songs not 30s previews, verifying this will need to wait since i do not have superstar plan myself)

Working great and fast indeed! Is it possible to (have the option to) disable the volume toggle from the volume rockers?

Not for now, but it will be. I’m currently working on the application related settings page, which will have option to disable the volume control via hardware keys if thats desired.(Currently setting mixer to none within volumio should disable that functionality allready, but then of course you lose it for good)

Or do you actually mean that pressing the icon would not mute/unmute? If thats the case, i must say i have zero idea if thats possible.

What kind of settings for the app would like to see?

For now there will be.

• disable volume hardware key support.
  • do not fetch tidal/qobuz favourites to favourites section(provides similar behaviour as in webGUI)
  • set default playback mode, this is in case the app can’t get the volumio settings for some reason.
  • automatically connect to first device.(useful when there is only one volumio device in the network to skip the device selection in startup which would be unnecessary step)

And something to come at some point in future

• dark/light theme switch.
  • automatically connect to device from background (app would try to auto connect after device reboot, if it’s in same wifi network as the volumio device was last time when connected)

I would really like a method for fast scrolling in local libraries (Artists and Albums)
Preferable something like this (From PowerAmp):

Or alternatively by pulling a visible scrolling bar.

This app really got potential.

The scroll bar is on the Todo list, im still wondering what would be the best way to implement it thought. The native scroll bar android offers is just plain bad with big lists.

Now getting greedy!

I would also like sorting settings. Like Artist>Year>Album

:blush:

I believe sorting was requested by someone else aswell, my hands are bit tied with what i can offer, i need to take a proper look at what info the apis return to me.(like if date is returned, which i can’t remember if i ever saw or looked at wrong place)

1 Like

IMO the Android app should only be responsible for the frontend aspect (view / UI) of Volumio. The code for sorting should be done within the music service (backend) itself. Volumio does not have a dedicated Sort button and the workaround is to implement sorting in the form of ‘folders’. For example:

The list item that shows ‘Name, Ascending’ is actually a folder and when you click on it, it will bring you to another list that shows the sorting options (same with ‘A-Z’, filters…) :

The items you see above are also folders that tell the music service how the items are to be sorted. The backend then does the sorting and sends the sorted results to the frontend:

Unless the frontend shows all items (as in, if you have 10,000 songs, it will show all of them on one page), then it doesn’t make sense to have them sorted within the app. And I also don’t think it makes sense anyway to have 10,000 songs displayed on a single page…

1 Like

I totally agree on this one, besides sorting and paging without backend doing the sorting is kind of an impossible task.

I’m already hitting the heap limit with certain low memory devices with the app if the user does have big local library, paging will help with this. Sorting in the other hand will be hard on these devices if needs to be done on the app.

Does “Music Library” support pagination now? I haven’t really bothered with it…

(edit: seems like it doesn’t?)

Great app. It is now my preferred control app. I’ve started using the widget and have some requests.

1. Default the widget to 4x1. It currently occupies two rows but is only one row high.
  2. The widget button does not show a ‘stop’ icon when playing
  3. Tap on the album picture should launch the app.
  4. Full screen widget option to maximize album art
2 Likes

Hi, One issue I have that stops me using the std Volumio app is that it cannot cope with me using the wifi hotspot on my phone as my wifi, at the same time as spotify recognising that my rpi+volumio is a device. Can your app cope with this before I try it out?
Cheers,
Alan

You can use the app with hotspot i have not set any limitations for that, because thats what i do.

1 Like

Just started with your app and I notice that in Favourite Radio I can’t see the full name of the stations so I can’t distinguish between the different paradise feeds for example.
It is noticeably quicker response than via the web app though.

1 Like

Yes that’s an issue with long names, i have not yet decided what’s the proper solution for this, because the font can’t be made smaller infinitely.