Allo Piano Dac 2.1 first impressions

This is slightly puzzling, as I’ve now moved to the Pi 2.001 release and keep checking for updates; none appear as “You’re already on the latest version” is what comes back. Yet, I’ve seen comments about later versions than 2.001, and now this.

Ah, this is about DACs, this forum…

Right, is there anyone reading this who could comment on the difference between a HFB Pro with additional 5v power to the analog side(support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/ … wer-supply) against the Kali/Mambo LS monster?

It does not appear because it has not been released yet. To see it you you must enable test mode (I need to write this on the docs).
I suggest you to download a flash the version above.

… The first time i have switch from 2.0 to 2.1, (after reboot), i’ve got this error when i try to start to play…

Maybe i wrong something… tomorrow ill try to test better… :slight_smile:
Must go… sorry :frowning:

To use 2.1 you must have both terminals connected (normal rca connected to amp, sub out connected to your sub)

Ah ok Michelangelo… you must have a little patience with this newbie :slight_smile:
My sub is an old sony with a mono input. Tomorrow ill try a sub with 2 inputs.
Anyway, after reboot and few second it play… thw first thing i notice is that in 16-44 files sub sounds very thin… normal in other formats.
Ill write tomorrow others info after a long test… :slight_smile:

Thanks marcello! Let me know! Also please try the stuff I asked before :wink:

Yes Michelangelo… ah the good news is that now, choosing the piano dac driver, theres no latency when start to play a song and passing from a song to another… before i had about 2 or 3 second latency! Thats great…

I’m also getting Failed to open audio otuput error with 2.2 mode but after a moment and few clicks on Play-button the music starts to play. Another problem occurs with the volume control because it has no effect on the subwoofer.

The system is also very unstable with mp3, 16/44.1 files and some webradios. The music plays but the system is not responding to webgui or SSH.

I’m using rpi 2 and kali reclocker.

I hope the issues can be solved :slight_smile: Thank you!

Tried two different SDcards, formatted with SDFormatter en wrote the img with Etcher. No ethernet connection at all. Waited more than 5 minutes. No luck.

Try to re-download it…

Despite the problems with the driver when playing music, DAC adjustment functions are ok. Adjusting the cutoff frequency and switching mode between 2.0 and 2.2 works perfectly.

Great to hear!
Could you please try this and report your feedbacks?

Could you please try to listen to few songs with the DSP to default, and in 2.0 mode.

Then switch to “Ringing-less Low Latency FIR” .

Let me know what are your listening impressions, and if you find differences in the two modes

thank you!

Here I am: my tests. I set on the interface choosing Allo piano dac 2.1, other settings are in default mode.
2.0… normal channels on, sub off, no problems, no drops out, no errors.
Setting field in 2.1 mode, after the restart, i have try to play a 16-bit file.
After several attempts to play and errors (failed to open output) dac has started playing. The sub sounds thin and I had to get closer to hear something.
After that i try to play a 24-bit file.
The some several errors with output but after that the dac started to play properly. The volume its ok and normal and the sub output works togheter… sub sounds well and everything works properly.
I tried to hear difference between FIR and Ringing settings but passes a long time between reboots, im not feeling differences…
Michelangelo… ask, how can i help you?
Edit: I use Volumio with Rpi3.

I am working with the Sparky instead of RPI. Can that be why Volumio does not boot? I attached a screen to hdmi. Nothing happens. If I put on the Max2Play version of Allo, it starts up normally.

Hello everyone ,

our team and Volumio we both work very hard to have the software ready very soon…please allow a little longer to sort all the bugs.

Also we are working on a new DSP flow that will make 2 mono channels (2.0) L and R. We will need about 2 weeks to have the flows ready

Volumio for Raspberry Pi would clearly not work for Sparky…

Marcellom, I think your system didn’t finish the firstboot script. If you don’t mind, could you please reflash it, leave it alone for 5 minutes in the first boot and then retry all the above?
Is the issue still there?

Yep… reflash now but let you know tomorrow after a new test… tnx in advance for your patience!

Ps Yes the problem is still here… and changing album sometime audio engine stops to sound…

Thanks for your report! So it seems that we still have some work to do to make it work perfectly.
So unfortunately, I will not put the Allo 2.1 on sale until we sort out everything: we want to give our members the trust to know that they will get stuff that works great with Volumio…
So all of those who are interested to get it, a little more patience and we’ll fix the issues and then put it on sale…

For those who will wait, thank you :wink: