You lost me Volumio, I'm cancelling ( terrible Tidal)

well, that’s great. after Spotify dropping their Unlimited Plan, i decided to try MyVolumio in combination with Tidal. Got myself the trial accounts, everything properly set up and logged in, tidal works from within Volumio, but no Tidal Connect.

So I even do a factory reset, completely wiping my 65GB worth of music data, and my customizations to the system, not only to find out that it still doesn’t work, but that currently it is not going to work at all, since apparently TC is not yet supported on the RP zero!

The Volumio team really needs to centralize such important information, instead of users having to browse individual threads in community forums. That’s okay for the free stuff, but if you want my money, you have got to deliver. So like the OP, I am cancelling my plans.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. You are right we shall point out that tc won’t work on pi 0.
Side note, I really suggest to upgrade from pi zero to 4. For what it costs, the Volumio experience is so much better with pi 4

Curious why tc on pi0 isn’t supported… It took some extra effort during the buster migrations, but in the end managed to keep pi0 support, even though nodeJs has officially dropped support for it.
Also managed to cross compile all native modules for it, keeping one bundle for all pis. Perhaps look at the pi specific cross compilers for the foundation…

But if the plan is to drop support/have a separate image for the pi0, it would probably lead to better nodejs performance on newer pis, and make the build system much easier!

1 Like

The main TC library is provided by TIDAL, we are requesting an armv6 version.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings regards Volumio-Tidal integration. When using it on my RaspberryPi (and Volumio Virtuoso) I receive so terrible quality that it is beyond imagination. Perhaps Volumio team decided to differenciate levels of quality by level of cost - but why don’t you announce it openly? I would not bother than…

1 Like

That’s really weird, there is of course no limitation of sound quality for any plan (why should we do it?)

This sounds like another kind of issue, would you mind describing:

• Which PI model you have
  • Which DAC you have
  • If you have the same problem playing other kind of material
  • Which kind of TIDAL account you have

Using PI v4. No separate DAC (other than my Yamaha integrated amplifier). Terrible quality loss I am experiencing only when using Tidal (HiFi) as a source over Volumio. The same architecture ea: source (NAS), Volumio on PI 4, Yamaha integrated Amplifier - works just fine.

Maybe you have a poor quality WiFi connection and Tidal needs more bandwidth.
try to set in sources tidal audio quality to low.

1 Like

This, and maybe you can set the buffer to 12mb to make internet speed less important to the sq

1 Like

Thank you all for suggestions. I have no problem with WiFi, and Tidal needs no more than provided. Using Tidal over phone (I know, I know) + just directly to Yamaha - gives exelent results. I am “almost” sure, that poore quality have something to do with Volumio-Tidal cooperation.

If tou are so sure… Than you should choose another OS.

I did - for Tidal. Still, I use Volumio on RPi for my NAS located music.

Some update. I upgraded my Volumio version to newest. Quality improved a lot - surprising?. Now I see another quality issue - but this time it is completely on Tidal part :slight_smile:

1 Like