Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Another thank you here, all set up and streaming beautifully via airplay using the image/commands provided!

Thanks again!

Be careful with Wolfson card connector pins as I have just taken out a set of headphones ( cheap luckily) testing the latest Volumio version. Everything was working okay and it sounded very good until a very loud hissing noise blasted through the phones. Only thing I can think is that the card has been removed several times ( static precautions taken ) and the pins are intermittently connecting to the Raspi. I still do not think these spring loaded pins are a good idea and think a permanent solution should be to solder them onto the Raspi.Would have been a disaster with a nice set of speakers and my ear is still ringing :astonished:

Bought the Wolfson card, was a bit sceptical at first. I use the Pi with Volumio in my car, controlled via Wifi. Music is playing via a USB hub attached to the Pi. My setup was working very nice and audio quality, even from the onboard analoge output was already very acceptable.

After installing the Wolfson card I didn’t know what I heard… what a difference! I hear things in the music I never heard before, it’s really great audio quality.

However, there is now a noise coming from the car. Did some checking, and it’s caused by the USB hub. When I attach a flashdrive the noise is gone. Will attach the HDD directly and have it externally powered.

Anyone else noticed the noise introduced by a USB hub?
Cheers
Jelle

I just installed the Volumio 1.4 Wolfson image that was linked to in this thread - and I Couldn’t agree more about the quality - it’s great.

However - A question regarding the Volume control not working.

If in Settings->Playback-> Volume control mixer I set it to Software, it works, but not in Hardware mode. Is this just that the Wolfson doesn’t support it?

And, on a side note, how will using the “Software” mode effect the quality?

Got it working just now, thanks very much!

Hi,
I got the Wolfson card / Raspberry B combo to work with the Element14 disk image and I was able to listen to the audio files via headphone and lineout.
I then installed Volumio 1.4 Wolfson (available on this forum) and launched it. Everything seems to work as planned, except I do not get any sound out of the DAC. The user interface is responsive but I do not hear any sound. Any idea what the issue could be? Thanks in advance.

I, your problem it’s quite strange.
Have you tried forcing the audio output?

Access to rpi via ssh then:

cd /home/pi/wolfson_drivers

and:

sudo ./Playback_to_Headset.sh

to enable Headset?
Are you sure you are using Wolfson headset jack, and not the Rpi one?
Bye bye

Brave m3m3nto:
I’m build a project with Wolfson Audio Card and Raspberry PI.
Now, I can control it with web and DLNA Client from built-in AP,but i want to control it with the touchscreen blow:

I want to make it to become an real portable loseless music player with touchscreen

Can you help me to build the kernel module driver of the touchscreen(I need the rpusbdisp.ko file with your kernel version )?

this is the source code:
github.com/robopeak/rpusbdisp

this is my project

Many many of thanks!

I just did and it worked. You’re an ace! Million thanks.

Hi, it’s seems quite hard :wink: , but I can try to build the kernel the next week-end.
I’ll let you know if I’ll have success.
Bye bye

The latest developments, I have successfully compiled the small screen driver to Volumio kernel. I found a nice post: blog.georgmill.de/2014/04/29/co … a-new-try/
I’ve done a touch-screen control program to control Volumio, tomorrow I will upload my project pictures.

Still many thanked

Hi,

I have just installed the 1.4 version of the modified Volumio image.

It works well when outputting to headphones, but I cannot get it to play through the line out jack on the Wolfson card to my hifi amp

Despite running the “Playback_to_Lineout.sh” , (which appears to run with no errors), the audio output is still connected to the headphone jack.

Has anyone got this version working correctly on the line out jack?

When I run alsamixer, with the Wolfson card selected in alsamixer, I cannot “see” any reference to a line out control, The only output shown is a Digital speaker! Should there be a line out control?

Advice gratefully received

P

SOLVED!!!

I found that if I

1. Powered the pi off

2. Powered on - did NOT run volumio web gui

3. SSH’d into Pi, ran script to clear settings then ran script to set line out on.

4 Started Volumio

Audio output was directed to my hifi amp

Working fine!

cheers

Patrick

I ran into a lot of problems,
here’s some more info that might help some other linux beginners.

I downloaded the image from page 8 of this thread
lorenzomonaco.net/files/volu … on.img.tgz

When booting I had a TV connected via HDMI, the sound came
through the TV no matter what.

When I removed the TV and connected remotely
the sound only worked via the raspberry output.

Following the instructions from the previous post did not help.

What helped was this
(If you’re stuck like me, this might save you an hour or two:)

connecting via putty (login: root/volumio)

Do some sound tests:

Run the “Playback_to_Lineout.sh” script in “/home/pi/wolfson_drivers”

Start “Alsamixer”
Make sure the selected sound card is the “snd_rpi_wsp” sound card.
(I used F6 to toggle between this and the other pi sound card)

Run “speaker-test -t sine -c 2”
This will play a sinus wave through the Wolfson Line out.

After finishing this, check that the “MPD Configuration” in Volumio playback setting are
“sndrpiwsp” for Audio Output.

Now playback suddenly worked for me and has survived even a reboot.

The PreFinal project
QQ图片20140830200129.jpg
QQ图片20140830200124.jpg
QQ图片20140830200133.jpg

After i ran the Wolfson script , i have got Sound on SPDIF-Out. But I have another Problem: I cannotplay Playlists, MPD only plays one Track and pauses.
Clicking the Play Button plays the next Track…
I do not Know if this Problem is Wolfson related… :mrgreen:

Regards

I have reinstalled the Image and al works fine…

Regards

(Thank you)^1000 m3m3nto!!

It should be great to have the Wolfson audio card driver supported in the next release of Volumio.

Dear tyre2

would it be possible for you to upload an image of you pi + wolfson running squeezebox ?

I’ve tried to set it up, but a bit difficult for the novice I am… main difficulty for me is to select the right audio card …

thanks in advance

Hello guys,

unfourtanely the download link is dead.

Can someone please re-upload this image?

i really appreciate your help.

Kind Regards
Bernhard

Hi Schluchti,
sorry there was some problems with my previous domain, and I’m moving to a free blog/site platform.
This is a new link to download the image:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/164 … on.img.tgz

Bye bye!