Wolfson Audio card with Volumio

Hi,

I’m having the same issue as Peter when trying to access this. Is it the 1.4 with added wolfson audio card drivers? If so, thanks!

I’m curious as to how this and the earlier 1.4 version have integrated the card within the Volumio interface. Does it work similar to other I2S DACs, and is just selectable as an option from within the setup tab? How do you select the output, as eventually I’d like to use the SPDIF out on a DAC.

I’d prefer to go with the wolfson, but I’m looking into the Hifiberry too, as both offer 24/192 via SPDIF.

Loz

Hi all,
This is a volumio 1.4 image with wolfson audio card kernel modules enabled:

mega.co.nz/#!RBBDBLpS!E6WWs-MSR … Z27RotPAJo

Mixer type: software.
Output: line-out jack.
To switch output use the script located into /home/pi/wolfson_drivers
Access to rpi via ssh then

cd /home/pi/wolfson_drivers

headset output:

sudo ./Playback_to_Headset.sh

SPDIF output:

sudo ./SPDIF_playback.sh

Bye!!

PS: I’m working to reduce image size :slight_smile:

This may be the single greatest forum post i’ve ever seen. Thank you so much, very helpful and detailed! I’ve ordered my Wolfson card now and will have a play when it arrives, image downloading as we speak!

Thanks again!

Download doesn’t work anymore. Is there some kind of download limit?

Now it works!

Hello m3m3nto,

This is really impressive.

However being a novice in this raspberry pi audio magic may I ask what differences are discernible between using volumio 1.4 image with wolfson audio card kernel modules enabled and using volumio 1.1 image with Ragner’s wolfson audio card kernel modules enabled.

Thank you.

Well, main differences could be find here:

volumio.org/volumio-1-4-now-upnp … pport-much

Support for UPnP/DLNS/Airplay is a very reach feature; I’ve tested Airplay with apple idevices and it works like a charm.
The new Library Browsing Tab is really useful if you have a big music library, and wanna browse inside it.

I’ve revamped my home page, and decided to add my custom images posted here in the forum:

lorenzomonaco.net/

Bye!!

Ok guys I’m on the same boat here. I started with a Pi and then went crazy and went for a compulab utilite. Nevertheless my perception is that the Volumio development is going to be much more focused on the pi than the compulab utilite (proof of that is that the utilite hasn’t recieved the 1.4 update yet) . Now what I’ve in mind is leave the compulab utilite as NAS server, torrent box and backup trough bittorrent sync. The Pi will be left exclusively to run voumio.

I use an external DAC (Audio GD Fun), I’d like to use optical or coaxial instead the Pi’s USB. I can’t make up my mind between the wolfson card and the hifibeery digi.

What do you guys think… hifiberry digi or wolfson card?

Well if you’re after an optical connection you will need the HiFiBerry.

I went with the Wolfson as I will be using a coax connection, and for me it is cheaper (especially when factoring import charges). I also like the idea of being able to record with it, although i’ll almost certainly never use this functionality.

M3m3nto, if you could get the file size down even a smidge that would be great - my current SD card is (irritatingly) 7.86 GB, and this uncompressed stands at 7.97gb! Grrrr!

For me both are about the same cost (Considering the hifiberry digi with output transformers) I like the flexibility for coax / optical of the hifiberry digi. But certainly the wolfson has more functions (that I may never use).

Since the hifiberry digi has been out there for a while I’d expect it to be more stable than the wolfson card.

How is it going for you with the wolfson? Is it stable with volumio?

Well then personally I’d get the digi, as you say it offers a bit more flexibility.

Haven’t been able to try the image provided by m3m3nto yet, I have two SD cards, bother just under the 8gb required unfortunately! I will wait a while to see if he gets a chance to trim it a bit, and if not purchase a 16gb card to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Having used the wolfson over the past few weeks weeks I can say that it is extremely stable and easy to use in Raspbian and Volumio 1.1 and RaspyFi 1.0, all patched with Ragnar’s fine patch.

I found a solution to solve the image size issue!
I’m at work, I’ll upload it in the evening, I promise!
Bye!

Thanks! I’ll check back here/your website later on!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hi guys,
this is the new image:

lorenzomonaco.net/files/volu … on.img.tgz

tgz: 247Mb
img: 1.75Gb

bye!!

I would send a private message, but the forum software won’t let me. I have tried to download the new, smaller image a number of times, but the download always aborts in different places. Any chance of making it available by FTP or on a different site, such as mega which was used for earlier releases?

Thank you for the update.

Peter.

I had the same problem but I used a download manager (free download manager) software to download it successfully.

Still haven’t installed it yet so no idea if it’ll all work.

EDIT: I got it to work!

Some notes, make sure you set the right output via the scripts.

Connect to your RPi via SSH, then do a “cd /home/pi/wolfson_drivers” then “sudo ./Playback_to_****.sh” in my case I mixed up headset and lineout!

Then, in Volumio’s playback menu, I set the Audio Output to “sndrpiwsp”

There wasn’t a need to activate the I2S driver in this case.

Thanks for all the work!

Hi, this link should work without issues:

http://www.lorenzomonaco.net:8080/files/volumio-1.4_wolfson.img.tgz

Bye!

Thank you for the suggestion to use a download manager. Image downloaded and transferred to a 2gb card. I’m now enjoying nice noises from the Pi and Wolfson card.

A big thank you to all involved in making this project all come together and work.

Lost in music,

Peter.

Bravo m3m3nto.