WiFi adapter not recognized

I purchased a Cubox-i2. It came with a RTL8188CU WiFi dongle. However, I am not able to establish a WiFi connection. I entered the correct (! cut’n paste) security parameters in the ‘network’ page. When I do a ‘ifconfig -a’ the dongle is not displayed. The modem does not say that the dongle is connected. The network page says: “No interface present”. What do I do to get the dongle work?

Hi i have faced the same problem…

Please read here…this what i have did.

luck-with-usb-wifi-adapter-from-monoprice-t1780.html

1 Like

On Cubox-i, the kernel seems to be version 3.0.35+ #1. So this solution doesn’t work! :frowning:

The driver that is linked in the other thread is for 8188eu you stated you have a 8188CU

Try this official driver:
realtek.com/downloads/downlo … =true#2772

The same steps should apply

Unfortunally not; I don’t get a “soandso.ko” file after unzipping. Instead I get a bunch of directories:

volumio@volumio:~$ ls rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911
Kconfig clean hal include runwpa
Makefile core ifcfg-wlan0 os_dep wlan0dhcp

(The unzip directory is “rtl8188C_8192C_usb_linux_v4.0.2_9000.20130911”)
(And the command “make” does not seem to exist on the Volumio distro)

There is a install.sh inside the compressed file, this can be used to install the drivers.

For make, you need to install this before you can use it.

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install build-essential

Warning: if you get the question to upgrade some installed files, ABORT: CTRL+Z and restart the install with --no-upgrade. Upgrading some files will break volumio.

Afther that you should be able to

sudo ./install.sh

Then the driver should be installed and you should be able to setup wifi after that. It is possible that you need to manually configure the wireless setting

I am sorry to say that I am not able to try it, because Volumio 1.4 is so buggy on my Cubase-i2, that it malfunctions constantly on all levels. I am barely able to get it responding at all. So I give up. Thank you for taking the effort.