Volumio2 : issues, TODO and feedbacks

It’s really impossible to mount my nas with the UI, i tried for 3 days.

All kind of combination were tested, with / before path, with \ instead of spaces or with \040,
with all kind of mounting options.

The fact is the mount command in SSH works flawlessly !!!
How can I simply copy this command in a script that will mount my nas at each startup ? fstab doesn’t work !

I have the same problem.

What commands do you use through SSH to mount the drive?

Hi,

Part of the major overhaul in Volumio 2 is the new plugin architecture.
Can you tel us a bit about that (or point to any talk/documentation about it)?

Would they allow to do things like:

• plug well-know Music sources (youtube, etc) much like Kodi is doing?
    (any chance it could leverage the wealth of music content plugins available there, or with minor changes so that the dev community can easily port-over)
  • easily run .sh commands (and insert a menu item in the web interface for it)

etc…
Any sample available to play around with?

Thanks for sharing.

github.com/volumio/volumio-sdk

Thanks.
It seems pretty much geared towards extending Music sources, which is obviously the main attracting factor.
However, what if I want to add a general purpose function (say, I’d like to execute some script before restart, and add a menu item for that in the shutdown menu)?

just tried out the RC1 - all works as expected out of the box. (raspi2, hifiberry)

• switching to Hifiberry DAC+ using the gui
  • mounting NAS / NFS using the gui
  • adding webradio (used to do that via CIFS mount, now via gui?)
  • m4a files are now properly displayed (yay!)

only quirk I still have is the volume control… on 1.55 I had to change mixer type from “hardware” to “software” - how does this translate to volumio 2? it is now set to “digital” and I have significant delay when I change volume using the “ring” - using the buttons it adds “10” to the current value, mute button doesn’t work.

will the shairport/dlna controls come back any point? the volume of streamed content is very low, will try to tweak that on the command line but the rest worked out of the box using the gui. I would suggest raising the volume to 80% when airport stream starts and reverting to the old value when connection is lost / playback goes back to mpd/local music. (iDevices control the volume when streaming so we have two volume controls now)
Edit: oh… wait… are you using the “old” or the “new” shairport-sync? systemctl says shairport-sync is not active… (yet?)

Anyway: NICE WORK!!! hands out cookies and hugs :wink:

could you please change the download section ?
so latest image version for PI 3 is easy to figure out where to find ?
so we only need to look ONE place ??
the download section only talk about PI 1-2 not a word about PI 3 ??
feeling sad… feeling lost…

volumio-0.839-2016-03-03-pi.img.zip

NO BOOT on RPI 3
only red led… not a single blink on green.

it this the latest ?

As it is still pre release you are best checking here; github.com/volumio/Volumio2

The lastest image is: updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/0 … pi.img.zip

thanks for the link.
0.861 boot up fine on RPI3
i got better wifi via usb dongle, how to select that one ?
i use hifiberry, no luck getting any audio out, it say playback device not found,
a berry is one way data I2S so offcourse the pi can not see it…
just feed me I2S thanks and i be happy.
played with wifi setting and i2s, crashed… now re-wrinting image, and try again.

PS: like the new look, just too bad it dont work yet :frowning:

WARNING !!! CPU run ultra burning hot with latest image on RPI3
you burn your hand if you touch, i dont dare to continue experiment with this version,
i even use larger heatspreader.

hi everybody, a couple of comments from a “freshman” - this is actually my first encounter with volumio so if i am missing something obvious, please correct me :wink:

setup: RPi3 + hifiberry DAC+
volumio version: 0.861
music collection: NAS; albums in 44k/16b FLAC format (single file per CD) with both embedded and separate CUE files (+couple of hires 96k/24b single file per track FLACs); album artwork both embedded and stored in the album directory (cover.jpg)

for completeness, here come the steps i’ve taken so far

• installation without problems, connected with my NAS
  • volumio complains about Exceeded CRDA call max attempts following post here https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2/issues/266, i tried to update the relevant packages => volumio hangs on CIFS/samba connection during boot - something got corrupted in the process? further reboots do not seem to help
  • reimage, waited for full synchronisation with my NAS, installed the packages again, after reboot, everything seems to work (i am not using WiFi, though)
  • i have TV connected to my RPi3 - default audio goes apparently through HDMI; for audiojack audio, i followed the info available e.g. here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/audio-config.md - some posts mention that the setting is re-set on reboot which doesn’t seem to be the case for me - changed to audiojack once and it stays
  • activating I2S and switching to the DAC+ produces very heavy static (https://volumio.org/forum/loud-static-with-hifiberry-dac-t4204.html)

so i can listen to my music using a very neat client which is very good - congrats on this very nice package! now a couple of observations in addition - should i be missing something obvious, please point me in the right direction… i presume we need kernel update to get the DAC+ running…

general UI

• accessing the UI from ipad (1st gen) shows distorted icons on the first screen; it’s not possible to enter any of the “subfolders” in the browse screen (clicking doesn’t have any effect) - probably a consequence of using stone age equipment…
  • what is the meaning and function of the middle icon below the volume “knob”? (answer: mute button) - doesn’t seem to have any effect; there is relatively slow reaction to the volume change (both reported earlier in this thread)
  • i don’t have “library” on the main screen which might be intentional, however would be very nice (browsing my directory structure is not nice)
  • queue shows all tracks added but there is no further indication of the “currently playing track” there
  • no cover art is being displayed
  • when in the browse section, it’s necessary to click the name of the respective directory in order to get into it. clicking the icon at the beginning of the line doesn’t have any effect even though the whole line is selected
  • for my collection the following files are displayed: FLAC (notes icon) - plays the whole album at once; FLAC (123 list icon) - plays the whole album while showing the individual tracks (is the embedded CUEsheet used here?); CUE (123 list icon) - the same as in the previous case + individual tracks (notes icon) indicated to be coming from the CUE file (individual tracks can be added and played)
  • my FLACs do not usually have the Album Artist set explicitly. i always set PERFORMER (in CUE). if the track artist is different, then for this particular track the PERFORMER is set in addition. let’s now take the example of file where all tracks have the same (album) artist. in volumio, for the FLAC entry (notes icon) i receive undefined - album name; for the track entries (notes icon) i am getting null - year - album artist - albumname.cue. where track artist has been specified, the info is displayed properly - is this intended function? how would it work in a library view?

settings&co

• my music: adding my NAS share as a whole works fine, specifying path in addition to the share name does not seem to have any effect (what to do if the share name has space in it - “//myserver/share/My Music Collection” (problem likely reported earlier in this thread)
  • my music: once the NAS was connected, the “synchronisation” process starts (message shortly pops out) but after that it’s impossible to see whether something is happenning. clicking on re-scan doesn’t seem to produce any immediate effect; would it be possible/meaningful to indicate the status of the music collection somewhere?
  • my music: what is the meaning of artists, albums, and songs? volumio is giving me 249 artists / 678 albums / 675 songs. from foobar on the same collection: 274 artists (?), 678 albums (OK), 8639 songs; i have 774 FLACs and 755 CUEs - is there any way of finding out why i can see the discrepancy? for my suspicion on the artist issue - see above
  • is there a possibility to “exclude” file types from the library scan? e.g., removing FLACs and keeping only CUEs (or vice versa)? what would be the recommended approach?
  • is there a possibility to specify which file names/types should be taken as album art? some older screenshots i could see seem to show this functionality but my settings seem to be very… bare

if there is anything i can do by means of tests, let me know. even though my linux knowledge has faded a bit over the last couple of years, i still should be able to find my way around…

sorry for a long post but i wanted to be as specific as possible…

… and another observation/comment:

directory James Blake with contents

• James Blake (CD1).cue
  • James Blake (CD1).flac
  • James Blake (CD2).cue
  • James Blake (CD2).flac

browse view of the same folder in volumio

• track icon - James Blake (CD1).flac
  • list icon - James Blake (CD1).flac
  • track icon - James Blake (CD2).flac
  • list icon - James Blake (CD2).flac
  • list icon - James Blake (CD2).cue
  • track icon - Track 1 (CD2).cue
  • track icon - Track 2 (CD2).cue
  • list icon - James Blake (CD1).cue
  • track icon - Track 1 (CD1).cue
  • track icon - Track 2 (CD1).cue

how is the ordering done in the browse list? any possibility to add/change the sorting order there? or a possibility to see a kind of “log” to analyse what volumio is doing in the background here?

it seems that other folders/albums are ordered “correctly” - i haven’t checked all of them…

Hey, after using 1.55 for a long time I though it might be a good idea to start testing the new stuff! :smiley:

Issue: queue status is not saved after power loss / playing does not resume after power on

p.s: as a tip & for fun, my Netgear R7000 has a USB3 port that can easily power a Pi2.
Coolest thing is that the USB port only becomes active after an internet connection is established. Perfect for auto-playing webradio!

Well, the new stuff is actually a complete rewrite, not an update. Therefore not all features from 1.55 are in 2.0 yet. Some may come later, some implemented differently and new ones are added. Put the things you really miss on the issue list in http://github.com/volumio/Volumio2. That way you can help it is being tracked.

Nice one, must try if the WNDR3000/4000 series deliver enough power for an odroid C1 or C2 to boot, thanks

Concerning ‘settings &co’ I’ve got the same problem in specifying the Music subdirectory on my NAS. It’s useless to have Volumio searching and indexing the pictures and videos, and also, when browsing my music, I always have to start from the media-share on my NAS…

I tried man syntaxes, but did not succeed to find the right one. Perhabs because Volumio adds the NAS basics itself…

Don’t know whether this item has allready been covered somewhere, but perhabs someone knows the answer…