VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

judydudi, thank you for your work. I like read your reports from soundchecks.

Raspberry pi DAC family growt every day :slight_smile:. The DACBERRY ONE+ looks very interesting. Iā€™m interested in DAC with Digital audio input. What a pity they didnā€™t choose better chip. When I read about orchardaudio and their PCM1794, Iā€™m thinking about change my audiophonics 9038 :slight_smile:.

Thank you xilsec :slight_smile:

So friends , next week on wednesday we like to hear these volumio setups in a small soundcheck in Hamburg, before coming back with the big competition.

a ~50ā‚¬ - 70ā‚¬ DAC selection.:

DACBERRY ONE+
DACBERRY PRO
Mamboberry IDT clock
Boss 1.2
IQaudioDAC PRO

(and many thanks Oriol, for the DACberryā€™s)
I will publish the review here after the event.
regards

OK,

yesterday we listened in a blind test to these devices:

DACBERRY ONE+ ( osaelectronics.com/product/ ā€¦ -one-plus/ )
SABREBerry (upsampling to 24 bit necessary because of a 48mhz clock hardware change) ( muc89.com )
Mamboberry Crystek clock ( collybia.com/product/mambob ā€¦ 2khz24bit/ )
Boss 1.2 ( allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html )
IQaudioDAC PRO ( iqaudio.co.uk/hats/47-pi-dac-pro.html )

using Volumio 2.452 and allo 5V3A for all

The DACBERRY pro didn not sound well above 70 loudness so i choose the sabreberry instead.
I wil give the DACBERRY PRO a second chance laterā€¦ :wink:

The surprise was, that we really like the new DACBERRY ONE+
Clear and bright in full frequency range. keep in mind this board also have a headphone jack and Optical (TOSLINK) conn. !!
i itā€™s a usefull ā€˜all in oneā€™ board!
Better was only the Mamboberry and the IQaudIO PRO.
Both where more detailed in full range , more clear bass. the scene was wider and touched us even more.

Hope this helps a bitā€¦

2Jens: But Mamboberry cost 100 Euro and IQaudio Pro about 50 Euro or DACBERRY ONE+ 65. But Mamboberry looks nicer :slight_smile:.

It was previously said Mamboberry with IDT clocks will be used for the particular soundcheck (which made sense for the price range of the last group).
@Jens (judydudi), can you confirm you indeed included Mamboberry with Crystek clock (not with IDT)?
Iā€™m bit disappointed because I wanted to see how Mamboberry with IDT fares with the rest of the devices. Crystek almost doubles the cost of that HAT.

Otherwise, hello to everybody :slight_smile: I was watching the thread for a while with interes but this is my first post.

welcome zalive,
thank you very much for your interest. i indeed used the mambo with Crystek Clock. please forgive my carelessness :wink:
are you interested in a new soundcheck, with same DAC boards and an additional mambo with idt clock?
kind regards, judydudi
PS: look for the Mamboberry at the german reseller! :wink:

Hello Jens,
when do you plan new soundcheck invitation? :slight_smile: And is it any difference between IDT and Crystek when you use with Kali reclocker? Please can you measure power consumpiton of HD+ with Kali when you use power supply only for Kali+HD+?

Best regards petr

1 Like

Hi petr, thank you for your interest!
you know iā€™m waiting for the Katana Board - but we will have definetly a soundcheck in beginning of november.

these boards are waiting for a next competition:
Katana v1.2 ???
Orchard Audioā€™s ApplePi DAC with Orchards Reclocker
Volumio ā€˜Primoā€™ (ES9028Q2M)
Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and Kali reclocker
Piano 2.1 with Kali reclocker
IQaudio DAC pro
DACBerry Pro
Terraberry Dac 2

DACBerry ONE+
Boss 1.2
Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock
Mamboberry HD+ DAC with IDT Clock
Mamboberry LS DAC

I will measure power consumption of all devices when preparing for the next soundcheck :wink:
stay tunedā€¦

Hello Jens,
great news :slight_smile:. Can you measure power consumpiton when raspberry is turning off yet?

Thank you for testing :slight_smile:.

Petr

Hello Jens,
Have you heard anything about DAC Khadas Tone Board?

khadas.com/tone

Maybe it would be good to try it to your invitation. It can be used with RPi (maybe even with Kali) or with their board VIM.

Hi music lovers :slight_smile:
hi fide!
this is your soundcheck invitation for december 6.
everybody is invited to come and join the next volumio come together here in hamburg, germany.
Itā€™s free and startā€™s at 8pm. please write a mail to linux @ kompage.de for better planning.

This is my wishlist to check:

01 Katana v1.2 ? (allo will send again)
02 Orchard Audioā€™s ApplePi DAC with Orchards Reclocker
03 Volumio ā€˜Primoā€™ (ES9028Q2M)
04 Piano 2.1 with Kali reclocker
05 IQaudio DAC pro
06 DACBerry Pro or DACBerry ONE+
07 Terraberry Dac 2
08 Boss 1.2
09 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and Kali reclocker
10 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock
11 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with IDT Clock
12 ?
All devices powered with one or more allo 5V3A psu and same cinch cableā€¦
i will measure the power consumption of each device :slight_smile:
cu - more soonā€¦

20% off all ApplePi products until Nov 30th. Get yours now:

orchardaudio.com/shop?olsPage=products

Hello all,
what do you think about hifiberry boards? Are they bad comparing the list of boards above.
There is a new card with digital input:
hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h ā€¦ y-dac-dsp/
Has someone tried it?

Hi mezcalf
the hifiberry boards? i did not try them.
I simply have no impulse to ask for a hifiberry or even to buy.
the soundcheck here is a come together - so you are very welcome to come and put your device in the competion :wink:

here is a short update:

our next soundcheck (next thursday, dec.6 8pm) have these candidates confirmed:

01 Katana v1.2 sound stage
02 Katana v1.2 THD stage
03 Orchard Audioā€™s ApplePi DAC with Orchards Reclocker
04 Volumio ā€˜Primoā€™ (ES9028Q2M) on Tinkerboard S
05 Piano 2.1 with Kali reclocker
06 IQaudio DAC pro
07 DACBerry Pro
08 DACBerry ONE+
09 Terraberry Dac 2
10 Boss 1.2
11 Mamboberry (best one)
12 Justboom DAC zero :wink:

the warm up round does have these candidates
01 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock and Kali reclocker
02 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with Crystek Clock
03 Mamboberry HD+ DAC with IDT Clock
04 Mamboberry LS

more detailed info later.
We are located in Hamburg, Germany. The soundcheck is free and open for everyone.

Hi friends,
you may interrested in what we find out yesterday. We had a big, long session and Ronald bringed his Curryman DAC (a ES9023DAC). Before competition,i was preparing all setups to the same soundlevel ( The biggest differenece is between Terraberry2 and DacBerry pro) . I had to put the Terraberry to 100% and the Dacberry Pro to 60% volume!)
All setups powered with the same, the allo 5V3A psu. Katana, Terraberry and Piano where powered by two psuā€™s, applePi with three psu:

01 Katana v1.2 with sound stage and Isolator 1.2
02 Katana v1.2 with THD stage and Isolator 1.2
03 Orchard Audioā€™s ApplePi DAC with Orchards Reclocker
04 Volumio ā€˜Primoā€™ (on Tinkerboard S)
05 Piano 2.1 with Kali reclocker
06 IQaudio DAC PRO
07 DACBerry PRO
08 DACBerry ONE+
09 Terraberry Dac 2
10 Boss 1.2
11 Mamboberry HD DAC+
12 Curryman DAC

volumio 2.502 was used for all setups. piano 2.1 with dual mono and 32bit upsampling. katana THD with Linear phase, fast roll-off Filter enabled, katana SQ with Linear phase, slow roll-off Filter enabled (recommendation of allo)
We played 8 music tracks in a loop. Flacs in 96/24, 44/16 and mp3 320.
watch the soundcheck playlist at Tidal.

It was really not easy to find a clear winner! So many great boards. It was easier to say for us what are not best.
So, at the end we had 3 winner: ApplePi, DacBerry One+ and Katana (THD Version)
followed by Piano 2.1 on place two and IQaudio DAC PRO sharing with Mamboberry (IDT Version) place three.
we liked Dacberry PRO also, but we could not agree to a place. Should be similar to Piano 2.1
Curryman was good too, detailed, a bit to shrill.
Boss and Terraberry where to dull. Katana SQ disappointed with a diluted, to mixed sound. I had no time to burn in Katana SQ. so iā€™ll keep it for a next try. primo disappointed this time. remember, in the past it was a beloved winner. the sound had problems with continous speed and realistic playing. I think this is an issue to the tinkerboard. Last Soundcheck we played primo with a RPI3+.

The winner of the Es9023 warm up round was to my suprise the mamboberry with idt clock and the curryman.

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)

we heard in the past:
DAC:TauDAC-DM101 with TauOUT-TP101, Dial-DAC, HIFI Shield & HIFI Shield2, SabreBerry Z, JustBoom DAC HAT
PSU: Raspberry, allo 5V3A, allo Dual, ifi Ipower, SBooster, Thel NT-25HQ-09, MamboPower
Reclocker: Kali, ApplePi Reclocker, 3R USB Renaissance, iFi iPurifier2
USB-DAC: iFi nano ione, Elac EA101EQ-G
7Soundcheck1.jpg
7Soundcheck3.jpg
7Soundcheck2.jpg

Thank you very much for arranging these sound checks. Great to see ApplePi DAC at the top again.

Great writeup Jens. Youā€™re right about the Primo issue: we discovered a clock problem on the driver for Tinkerboard on 2.502 and weā€™re fixing it.

Hi Jens

thx you very much for taking the time and give your feedback on all those great DACs.

Can I suggest a shootout on all the winners with the good LPS to extract maximum SQ ?

In any case , congrats to all.

Thank you ioan for support so generously the soundcheck!
You are brave. you can suggest a shootout in beginning 2019 :wink:
(keep in mind, the guests change every soundcheckā€¦)

1 Like