VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

Hi Miguel,
thank you for attentive reading of my posts.
I used RPI3B and RPI3B+.
this has mainly practical reasons. costs & availability of cases. From some i did get complete player with RPI3 or RPI3+ included.
I like RPI3 because less power consumption. RPI3+ is (a bit) more powerfull with more power consumption. i see no difference in sound, even using a RPI4.
2. reichelt.de/hifiberry-unive … 91037.html
best ,judydudi

Thanks, judydudi

HB believes the RP4 for audio sounds worse than the RP3+

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqEPyMr1zI&t=1s

Keep up the good and valuable work.

Miguel

Plain 3B

Thanks, orchardaudio

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen!

This is the invitation for the next soundcheck in beautifull Hamburg, germany on november, 14 8pm.

We like to hear same boards like last soundcheck, but with LPS and without isolator boards…
as i promised you :slight_smile:

01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S)
04 Khadas: generic tone board USB DAC (maybe with usb reclocker)
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ Crystek v2
07 abacus: AroioDac
08 IQaudio: NEW PI DAC PRO

Many thanks to Oriol from OSA electronics to give the Soundcheck his brand new developed ULPS1225A Dual Ultra Low Noise Linear Power Supply.
It’s available in 5V,9V and 12V.

Maybe I can revise the playlist - the old one is geeting boring :slight_smile:

so it’s free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information…

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
Many thanks to all supporters, to make this soundcheck as great as it is!
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa and last but not least volumio)

we heard in the past:
DAC:TauDAC-DM101 with TauOUT-TP101, Dial-DAC, HIFI Shield & HIFI Shield2, SabreBerry Z, JustBoom DAC HAT, Terraberry Dac 2, ApplePi, Curryman DAC
PSU: Raspberry, allo 5V3A, allo Dual, ifi Ipower, SBooster, Thel NT-25HQ-09, MamboPower
Reclocker: Kali, ApplePi Reclocker, 3R USB Renaissance, iFi iPurifier2
USB-DAC: iFi nano ione, Elac EA101EQ-G

Judi, see if you can get the Revolution DAC from Allo.

Judidudi,

The Katana DAC has a number of filters. I suggest that you use the Brick Wall filter during the comparison. It’s the most natural sounding one.

Thanks again for organising this magnificent and generous undertaking, judydudi!

May I suggest including the NanoMesher NanoSound DAC2 Pro Streamer in your list of devices to review? It is getting some pretty good reviews. See, for instance, youtube.com/watch?v=JXixqwWeXQc&t=33s

Looking forward to reading about the results of the soundcheck.

Best wishes,

Miguel

Thanks for your input, SanjeevM.
you are right, i have to get figure out, how katana can give its best!
Hans Beekhuyzen uses the Apodizing fast roll-off filter, you suggest me to use the brick wall filter and ioan from allo recommends the Linear phase fast roll-off filter. I will spent a hour to see what i find with my amp is best. i let you know.

Thank you for the flowers, mruano :slight_smile:
I came closer to the nanomesher products when i uses the Nanomesher Hackable Pi Switch Cap in a iQaudio device.
This works like a charm.
right now i am thinking about comparing the NanoSound DAC2 after next soundcheck or the HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC.
both boards are interesting to me. i tend at the moment to nanosound. :wink:
Maybe they lend me a device…

Best, judydudi

We are very happy to lend our Nanosound DAC 2 for soundcheck!

Where should we send the device to?
Is this only for DAC? We also have a digital amp which would love to hear the opinions too!

http://nanomesher.com/nanosoundamp10

Judidudi,

I have to revise my earlier recommendation regarding the DSP program to use.

I was powering the Katana DAC with an IFI low noise adapter, and the RPI from a standard Allo adapter, using the Isolator 1.2 in between.

I got my Allo Shanti today. When I connected it, (keeping the isolator 1.2) the sound changed dramatically for the better. With a much lower noise floor, there was a reduction in the “harshness” in the voice of the singer and a much better tonality. This was perhaps because there was some noise at higher harmonics (in iFi it must be there still) which was cleaned up by Allo.

Now the “Brick Wall” DSP is not the best anymore. I had recommended it earlier as it was reducing the harshness from vocals, and making them sound more natural, given the noisier IFI supply.

After listing comparisons, I will now say that the “Linear phase Fast roll off” is indeed the best one.

Regards.

Oh, wow
it’s great that you want to give the soundcheck and its followers the chance to hear your Nanosound DAC2!
I’ll write you a PM
Thank you nanomesher.
judydudi
PS: The amplifier is of course interesting, just do not know when I can compare it …

Thank you SanjeevM
that is very helpful and confirms my guess, that katana needs - at first - a good LPS to show the potential (more than other boards).
i 'll take “Linear phase Fast roll off” . :slight_smile:
regards

Hi Miguel,

your wish has come true. Today i got the shippment from Nanomesher!
So the Nanosound DAC2 is in the competition next week. :slight_smile:

And for all interested in the Nanosound products.
Nanomesher also lent me their amp and the Nanosound CD.
So, i’ll give the participants a small introduction to the possibilities of these nanosound products.

That’s great news, I am glad it all worked out and I am looking forward to reading all about the soundcheck.

Thanks again for such a great and valuable undertaking, judydudi.

Miguel

Hi Judy,

Please remember to update Volumio to version 2.657, where they have updated the kernel. Now, music has a greater level of details, without being too detailed. It’s a pleasure to listen to this version.

That said, I am waiting for a kernel version which will bring the sound closer to that of a Class A amp, particularly the smooth mids and highs of the class A.

We did it again, yesterday!

we compared these boards in sound:

01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S)
04 Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2
05 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
06 Collybia: Mamboberry HD DAC+ Crystek v2
07 abacus: AroioDac
08 IQaudio: NEW PI DAC PRO

played on cambridge azur 651w amp and ELAC BS244.3 & FS78 loudspeaker.
One power supply has unfortunately turned out to be broken, so we had to improvise something.
Same Playlist as last time. Using RPI3B(+) and Tinkerboard.

We realized that all boards have a great sound. only minimal differences.
none had any trouble.
two boards were noticeably better:
allo Katana THD was liked most.
however, the AroioDac was practically just as good.
both were a step more precise, detailed and dynamic than the others.

Many thanks to all listening visitors.
And many thanks to all soundcheck supporters (allo, OSAelectronics, Orchardaudio, Collybia, Nanomesher and volumio)

The nanomesher products were here for the first time.
On the pic you see the nanosound DAC2 with amp (10W) and color 1,5"OLED. (a IR Remote is included)
They have a fitting case in their shop.
Unique is their Nanosound CD plugin.
Its avaible for different plattforms and also available without myvolumio subscription!

Summary.
Katana is indeed very good - but the right LPU is a must otherwise you are going to be disappointed.
AroioDAC is suprising good.
The DACBerry pro+ was last time better with a isolator.
Nothing against the other devices.

My next intend for a soundcheck is to “stress” more the opamps on DAC board.
using 90% volume level and a preamp… competitors.jpgSeat11.jpgoverview11.jpg

@judydudi

I had a look back and cannot quite find how you used the isolater and which one you used. I asume you used OSA electronics very own Bi-Directional Digital Isolator, correct?

May I ask how you connected this setup with the Thel NT-25HQ? I am considering going down that route as well for my DACberry PRO+ but I am not sure how I would connect the Thel LPS with the Rig (only power to the isolater or power to the isolater and the Raspi?)

Would also be interested how your Thel setup looks in general.

If this is not the right place to dicuss this. please let me know and I will delete this post.
Cheers!

Hi Che,
yes, i used the isolator board from OSA.
The Thel PSU is set to two independent 5,25V connections.
( i have the Thel EMI Filter installed too. thel-audioworld.de/module/Ne … filter.htm EMI-306 )

In volumio using the OSA DACBerry ONE+ driver

DIP switch on Isolator to Master I2S
Power, one to RPI and one connection to Isolator. The Isolator is feeding the DACBERRY.
Installing GPIO Control Plugin and config as picture shown.

gpio_isolator_volumio.jpgDACBERRYproplus3.jpg