VOLUMIO soundcheck invitation for Hamburg, Germany

F**k me, judydudi that’s a decent LPS!

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad I asked as I assumed that you only used one Thel NT-25HQ with two USB connectors with 2x1,4A (1x2,8A) as per their website. Now I know why I stumbled over the term Dual Thel NT-25HQ :smiley:

I was thinking about a single NT-25HQ with 2x1,4A to run the system as it would work very well with the case I was considering for my player.
But looking at your rig I wonder if that would be enough. Did you ever try to run such a setup with only one NT-25-HQ?

I assume you use two LPS’ to have two truly separate power supplies, correct? Do you think using only one LPS would be far inferior to your setup (if the NT-25-HQ-09 is not potent enough the NT-50HQ-09 would come to mind)?

I would prefer to have the LPS within the case instead of sperate…

Thanks for your DACberry setup as well! I have to wait until the isolator is back in stock to test it…

One NT-25HQ is enough. even for the Katana which takes over 1,1A for their stack!
With one NT-25HQ you have two clean and independent power connectors. (2x 1,4A)
I put two NT-25HQ in that case for more flexibility, and to share one EMI Filter, to save money.
I was thinking about the NT-50HQ but there is no need. same noise spec. etc.
I want to give every device in my contest a single, independent power rail, to keep away any noise from each other.

My next stepp would be Black pulsar BLP25-09 - thel-audioworld.de/module/Cl … pulsar.htm
the disadvantage here is the heat and the continous consumption :wink:

Hello, judydudi

Thanks again for a great and very useful effort – once more.

May I ask you, did you use the dual power supply configuration (DAC HAT powered separately from the RPI) with the AroioDAC?

Thanks and regards,

Miguel

Hi Miguel,
thanks for your interest.
The AroioDAC was powered from the RPI. I used one power rail from the dual power supply for the RPI.

PS: i have now own second AroioDAC. with it, i like to compare different power and isolator combinations

Hi, seems like it was a very interesting event.

I just ordered an AroioDAC and now I’m wondering which I²S Profile you chose for it:
HiFiBerry DAC Plus
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC
HiFiBerry DAC Plus ADC PR
HiFiBerry DAC Plus DSP
and for which reason. What are the differences between these profiles?
Any suggestions, anything I missed?
Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers, Dirk

Hallo Dirk,

i choose HiFiBerry DAC Plus. The other driver are special and for the newer HiFiBerry products.
Would be interessting, if you find more enhancements - so let me know…
best, judydudi

That’s great, judydudi. I look forward to the conclusions of your AroioDAC power supply options comparison.

Best :

Miguel

That’s great, judydudi. I look forward to the conclusions of your AroioDAC power supply options comparison.

Best :

Miguel

Do any of the DAC boards tested im Hamburg soundcheck use AKM DAC chips? If not, does anyone know of any RPi DACs that do use AKM?

There is one:

audiophonics.fr/en/dac-et-i … 13907.html

Cheers

Hi usery
Thank you for your interest in our soundchecks!
Yes, we had indeed a AKM I2S DAC in our soundchecks - The Terra-Berry 2 ( AK449 DAC and Re-clocking and up sampling by AKM AK4137)
see our previous posts.

There is a new product from terratechnos in volumio shop! The Terraberry 3
volumio.org/product/terratechno … errydac-3/
I’m inclined to get one for the next soundcheck!

Thanks Jens for including the Terraberry-DAC3 in a future soundcheck. I’m interested in that board because I own a “mid-fi” integrated amp (Micromega M-100) with AK4490 chips in its DAC circuit. The sound quality from the M-100 ist natürlich excellent. I consider it “mid-fi” as an integrated amp + DAC since the M-100 costs slightly less than $5,000 USD ; )

Do you ever use a ‘reference’ hifi DAC in the Hamburg soundcheck as a baseline to evaluate the Raspberry Pi iS2 DACs? Any of the following or an equivalent hifi DAC would be a good baseline if available: RME ADI-2 DAC Pro, Technics NT-505, Benchmark DAC 3, Chord Hugo 2, NAIM DAC v1 etc.

@judydudi:

This is a great topic… I really enjoy, how you tell about these soundcheck events. I’m a bit envy, because I can’t go there. :slight_smile:

I just ordered AroioDAC, because it looks for me to have a great potential, since it was good without any power tweaks.
As the other guys told, I also looking forward to your improvements on it.

This is nice to hear. many thanks for the flowers. today is valentine’s day. :slight_smile:

update.
i was so busy. my plans are to do the AroioDAC checks end of next week.

Terraberry 3 is already ordered and shipped but hangs since one week in customs.

Great news from collybia: new DAC board there.
collybia.com/product/mamboberry … khz-24bit/
Their love for the ES9023 DAC chip is further realized and perfected here.
They will sent me this promising board - many thanks to Emilios!

From IQaudio i have there new board ‘codec’:
iqaudio.co.uk/hats/100-pi-codec.html

so next soundcheck should be mid/end of march…

Thanks for your interest…
judydudi

Just wanted to thank you Judy for all these tests you do, I’m sure you have great fun doing it and meeting new people but for the vast majority of us here I’m sure I can safely speak for us all in offering our gratitude.

Okay, let’s do it!

Dear music lovers,

I am happy to announce the invitation for next Soundcheck on March 26th, 8pm.
Everyone is invited to come to Hamburg for this unique volumio event.
So, it’s free to come. just write an email to linux @ kompage.de to register and getting more information…

I like to present this comparing:

1st round:
01 OSA electronics: DACBerry pro+
02 Nanomesher: Nanosound DAC2
03 abacus: AroioLT
04 IQaudio: PI DAC PRO
05 TerraBerry DAC3

The best one is going in the next round to:
01 allo: Katana THD
02 Orchard Audio: PecanPi DAC streamer
03 Volumio: ‘Primo’ (on Tinkerboard S)
04 abacus: AroioDac

Soundsystem: cambridge 651W amp, ELAC loudspeaker and a preamp from abacus: abacus-electronics.de/produ … 13-rc.html

The anounced mamboberry precision dac is missing, due to a shipping failure…
My TB3 shows problems - in volume setting and heavy clicks in mute state - but will use for soundcheck.

Soundcheck is an independent and non profit association of HI-FI enthusiasts, gathering together to evaluate with double-blind methodology several Audio equipments. (typically I2S hats for Raspberry PI)
Many thanks to all supporters, to make this soundcheck as great as it is!
(Orchardaudio, allo, collybia, osa, nanomesher and last but not least volumio)

@Judydudi:

I’m really looking forward to the next soundcheck event’s results…
This is because AKM DACs are quite interesting for me. There are some very good DACs out there which contains this AK4493.

The match between AroioDAC and TB3 will be also interesting because they use different approach to get low jitter (Master Clock vs. Reclocking).

Did you finally try the PSU hack on AroioDAC?

Hi soundcheck listeners…
the next soundcheck will of course be postponed. Stay in a good mood.
Thanks!

Hello, I am following your tread and really enjoy it a lot. Although I live in Hannnover I coud not find the chance to join your soundcheck events. I hope to join as soon as this crazy times end. During that home period I can not stop but wonder what can be my next upgrade as HAT DAC. I have Allo Boss 1.2 and looking around to enjoy myself during this period. From your evaluations and also being in germany I think that ABACUS Aroio DAC may be an option. I even checked the expensive TauDAC but it looks like you like Aroio DAC as much. Do you think Aroio DAC is a step up compared to Allo Boss 1.2?

Thank you for the great contribution to this hobby and hope to see you in Hamburg.

Thank you!

There is no direct comparing for Aroio DAC and TauDAC. And you are right. i like both much.
Today i did an unoffical soundcheck with a friend.
We had:
Terraberry DAC3
Aroio DAC
AroioLT Streamer
volumio primo

All devices driven by the actual volumio version. AroioLT Streamer was not liked, because of a bit dull sounding.
All other were very near to each other. At the end we choose the Aroio DAC for best DAC board over all. TB3 was best at timbre.
primo did a good job overall too.
unoffical soundcheck.jpg