Volumio and DIGIAMP+ not working

I am having a ton of issues setting up my raspberry pi 3+ with Volumio and IQuadio DIGIAMP+.
Once in a while I get to settings where the setup works, however after reboot, all goes away.

The I need to do some workarounds turning i2s on and off, choosing DIGIAMP+, rebooting then choosing Iquadio DAC, Hardware/Digital mixer, turning 12s off (why?) and rebooting again. Then it starts working until another reboot or turning it off. I have tried the back-up plugin, making sure I back up config, and perform backups when it works. But when i restore, still no sound.

So if there is anyone out there who has a setup with DIGIAMP+ working consistently I would be much obliged if they could share the config, userconfig, json and whatnot to help me get rid of this problem.

Hi, I have RPi3 + IQAudio DigiAmp+ setup that works like a breeze. In the past, issues like those that you mention were most often the result of 1. bad MicroSD cards (use only fast, HQ cards), 2. power drop due to insufficient power supply (this particular setup can be power hungry) or 3. network hiccups (ideally, prefer ethernet over wifi). I would go over these hardware causes first before tweaking the software, as it seems like the system may function in some instances, but appears to be unstable.

Hi Martin,

I am not so sure:
ad 1) I have tried 3 different microsd cards including high quality. Tried to etch the image at least 2 times each
ad 2) I have a 75W laptop power supply connected directly to DigiAmp+
ad3) Indeed I do not have the ethernet cable connected - but I do not suspect this is the issue, as a) everytime after being swtiched on it does not play (after playing before), b) backup/restore never solves the issue and c) the workaround process of “make it DAC i2s off, reboot, make it DigiAmp+, mixer: hardware digital, reboot, make it dac is2 off again, reboot - and now it works until the next shutdown” is pretty repeatable and seems to work pretty much every time. It is just that is tedious as hell. :slight_smile:

Any chance when you have some moment, you could share your settings - and maybe version of volumio… perhaps that is where the problem lies…?

Sure: this is my latest system (using Volumio 3.x, but until recently Volumio 2.x also worked fine).

Here are settings of ‘General Playback Options’:

  • Audio Output:
    I2S DAC: On
    DAC Model: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ [note that I use the BruteFIR plugin for room correction]
    DSD Playback Mode: DSD over PCM (DoP)
    DSD Auto Volume Level: off
    Volume Normalization: off
    Audio Buffer Size: 2MB
    Persistent Queue: on
    Playback Mode: Continuous

  • Volume Options:
    Mixer Type: hardware
    Mixer Control Name: digital
    Default Startup Volume: 25
    Max Volume Level: 100
    One click volume steps: 5
    Volume Curve Mode: Continuous
    MPD Clients Volume Control: off

  • Audio Resampling:
    Audio Resampling: On
    Target Bit Dept: native
    Target Sample Rate: native
    Resampling Algoritme Quality: High

Great! Thank you,

I will play with it tomorrow!