Volumio 3 does not index NAS based music library

Updated to Volumio-3.175-2021-12-13-pi. Indexing my NAS based music library is not working.

/var/log/mpd.log is flooded with lines like:
[src/libmpg123/readers.c:1184] error: Cannot open file /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/HullyGully-NAS/Amy MacDonald/This Is The Life/04 - Youth Of Today.mp3: Stale file handle
Dec 20 08:48 : mpg123: libmpg123 failed to open /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/HullyGully-NAS/Amy MacDonald/This Is The Life/04 - Youth Of Today.mp3: A generic mpg123 error.

The NAS is mounted via cifs and accessible, permissions are looking ok:
ls -l /var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/HullyGully-NAS/Amy\ MacDonald/This\ Is\ The\ Life/04\ -\ Youth\ Of\ Today.mp3
-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 7395200 Apr 26 2016 ā€˜/var/lib/mpd/music/NAS/HullyGully-NAS/Amy MacDonald/This Is The Life/04 - Youth Of Today.mp3ā€™

Same library worked with volumio-2.917-2021-10-06-pi.img.
HW: Raspi 4, HiFiBerry Digi, DSD Direct, Network via wired LAN (WLAN is configured as well)

Just to mention that Iā€™m experiencing the same issue. Iā€™m also seeing these errors in the Live Log on the dev page:

cifs_all_info_to_fattr: 59 callbacks suppressed
CIFS VFS: bogus file nlink value 0

Raspberry Pi 3B
Clean install of Volumio 3.175 from the img file.
No DAC connected yet.

Iā€™ve tried both cifs v2.0 and v3.0 but with the same result.

Same issue at my site. But I think, this is not related to the Volumio 3 issue (Volumio 2 worked in the same environment).
The ā€œbogus file nlink valueā€ issue is existing since years with the FritzBox. It is independent from Fritz OS (6.x, 7.x), Samba Version (1, 2, 3) and clients (Raspbi OS, Volumio, OpenSuse Leap, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, ā€¦). Even with that, all file operations on the NAS are working.

1 Like

I reported the same ā€œStale file handleā€ issue here yesterday, but after trying moOde and getting exactly the same result and error message I added the ā€˜noserverinoā€™ option to the mount settings in moOde and this seems to have resolved the issue. Presumably adding the option to the source under ā€˜Advanced Optionsā€™ in Volumio 3 will have the same effect.

Also without the noserverino mount option I could browse to the NAS folder (when SSHing to the Pi) and see the audio files, but if I tried to copy them locally then I got the Stale file handle error. With the mount option included then I can successfully copy the files.

I am using a FritzBox router with a USB drive as a NAS (FRITZ!OS v7.30).

Hope this helps.
Chris

Thanks for the hint. noserverio solved my problem - Volumio 3 is now indexing.
noserverio is not solving the old ā€œbogus file nlink valueā€ issue, but for me this is not a problem.
Thanks, Jens

3 Likes