Volumio 2 and brutefir

I listed most of what I use in the first post, but yes it’s an Rpi 4, and a USB DAC.

@balbuze Thanks for this great plugin and your practical guidance for it! I’ve done some experiments and tweaking, also to understand what I’m actually doing in Rew and the theory behind DRC, but the results are better than expected, particularly in small setups (bookshelf speakers with digital amplification). Not sure if I want to mess with my main system (NAD 3020, Kef LS50 Meta, RaspDAC Mini with custom Volumio version), as I am pleased with this sound as it is. More ‘neutral’ not always sounds better imo. Anyway, hope to see the plug-in back in a later version of Volumio as a standard one.

Hello. Thanks for your feedback.
Yes, a plugin will be available for next version of Volumio.
I you want to test, download the beta version for Volumio (buster) and install my plugin Fusiondsp from my repo GitHub, branch alsa_modular.
Edit : does not work yet on x86

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I may give it a try soon!

The link volumio-plugins/plugins/audio_interface/FusionDsp at alsa_modular · balbuze/volumio-plugins · GitHub

1 Like

Congratulations and thanks @balbuze. Your experimental filter plugin has turned into a game changer for Volumio, in my opinion. Thanks also for discovering separate left and right channels. I have a couple of questions, not sure if this is the right place for them. (I do not run Volumio 3.xx because I heard that it may have trouble with my digi sound card so I’m waiting a bit longer, please forgive my ignorance of the current implementation.)

1. Do you plan to directly overwrite configuration files of the new audio engine, or will it also be possible to mess with the engine configuration directly in text form? It might be nice to have a choice if it’s not going to be a huge pain. For example, the biggest simple improvement I can make to my audio setup in Vol 2.x is just to reduce left channel gain by a blanket 3dB to overcome speaker/wall positioning problems that I can’t otherwise avoid.
  2. Have you found that multiple big filters increase computational load on a RPi by very much? The Pi4 can get pretty toasty just idling. Wondering if it’s likely to be a thing?

More power to your arm, sir.

Hello. Thanks for your feedback.
In the new plugin FusiinDsp, you can set directly the level for left or right channel ( see screenshot). An other way to do it, even with Volumio 2x and the plugin brutefir3, is to set a different attenuation between left and right. Let’s suppose clipping detection set 8dB for the attenuation, disable clipping detection, let a a channel at 8 dB and the other at 11dB.Save and enjoy :wink:

OK, thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it, I saw the screenshot.
At the moment with 2.xx I’m using alsamixer to set the LR balance by ear, which is awkward but it works. My other questions will be answered by being more patient. :slight_smile:

Hi
I am new user of

I got this error after I press ‘Apply’ button in config menu in this plugin in Volumio 3.251

Just I am writing this as I can’t find any other forums.

May 11 11:18:27 volumio systemd[1]: Started brutefir Daemon.
May 11 11:18:27 volumio systemd[1373]: brutefir.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or directory
May 11 11:18:27 volumio systemd[1373]: brutefir.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/brutefir: No such file or directory
May 11 11:18:27 volumio systemd[1]: brutefir.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
May 11 11:18:27 volumio systemd[1]: brutefir.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
May 11 11:18:27 volumio sudo[1371]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
May 11 11:18:28 volumio systemd[1]: brutefir.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
May 11 11:18:28 volumio systemd[1]: brutefir.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
May 11 11:18:28 volumio systemd[1]: Stopped brutefir Daemon.

I think I followed the instruction in volumio-plugins/plugins/audio_interface/brutefir3 at master · balbuze/volumio-plugins · GitHub

however do I need to install any binary for brutefir?

Also I can’t find that binary in any directory in volumio.

Thank you

Hello .
Please don’t use this plugin.
Use FusionDsp directly installable from Volumio 3 UI.
It is powered by CamillaDsp and can use the same filters…
See the related thread.
Thanks