Volumio 2 and brutefir

I found and fixed the problem (I think) for i2s dac. Please install the last version. Let me know

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me Balbuze, much appreciated. :slight_smile:
Makes sense as my AlloDigiOne uses I2S.
I will try this and let you know, but it may be 2-3 days before I get round to it.
Pretty busy for next 2 days.

Paul E

And just to confirm, installed version 1.8.5 and output device now comes up as Dsp -> Allo DigiOne, audio plays fine, and problem now solved. Many thanks Balbuze.

1 Like

Hello balbuze,
as a new Volumio user I like to shorten the way, thats why I turn to you. :smiley:
So far I have been using Acourate with LMS. I want to continue using Acourate so I need the brutefir Plugin.
I havenā€™t read the whole thread and surely you can find the information somewhere. But I would like to ask someone to explain me how to install brutefir via SSH as a plugin. It is described in the manual but I miss the first step.

Thanks a lot and Regards

In the readme of the plugin, it is explained to install it.
First, enable SSH. A link is given to do that. You can also find it in the doc of Volumio. It is simply the address IP of your device plus /dev ex: 192.168.1.10/dev. Presse enable under SSH.
Then enter the commands as described in the readme in the section ā€œhow-to installā€.
Thatā€™s it

1 Like

Hi balbuze,
Iā€™m having trouble to get DSP running. Installation of volumio and DSP is fine. Playback without DSP is ok, yet after activation of DSP I will get no sound anymore. I use the following configuration

1. RPI3B with Allo DigiOne
  2. Volumio v2.806
  3. Brutefir latest build from Github as of August 4th

Extract from the log after activation:
volumio[1000]: info: Starting brutefir
volumio[1000]: info: no delay needed
volumio[1000]: info: --------->filter format None text
volumio[1000]: info: --------->filter size 65536
volumio[3050]: Filters in process 1: 1 3
volumio[1000]: info: --------->Skip value for wav :
volumio[1000]: info: File size found in array!
volumio[1000]: S24_LE
sudo[3056]: volumio : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/systemctl restart brutefir.service
ā€¦
volumio[3062]: Filters in process 0: 0 2
volumio[3062]: Filters in process 1: 1 3
volumio[3062]: ALSA I/O: Could not set audio output parameters for ā€œhw:2ā€:
volumio[3062]: Failed to set sample format to S24_LE: Invalid argument.
volumio[3062]: Failed to init output device.
volumio[3062]: Failed to initialise digital audio interfaces.
systemd[1]: brutefir.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Unit brutefir.service entered failed state.
systemd[1]: brutefir.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
systemd[1]: Stopping brutefir Daemonā€¦
ā€¦
systemd[1]: brutefir.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
systemd[1]: Failed to start brutefir Daemon.
systemd[1]: Unit brutefir.service entered failed state.

Using no or the demo filter gives the same result (no sound). Volumio plays normally after de-activation of DSP.
Can you help?

Hi,
Try to change output format. I canā€™t tell you which one would work as it depends on the hardware

Balbuze, please help!!! Pretty desperate here. Only reason I have Volumio is to use Brutefir but I have yet to get it working. I am using volumio loaded on an RPI4 with USB out to a Denafrips DAC. With Volumio on output playback dsp-USB and Brutefir plug on, I do not get any sound out. I have to go back to output playback and change to USB to get sound out. Of course, once I change the playback output, Brutefir player is not started.

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/GhSSZsb.html

a798e05b37ababa4bbde6e866edfcf7d

Did a quick scan of the error logā€¦

Not sure if this is the issue or how to fix it.

Hello.
Have you tried with demo filter?
It canā€™t work with your filters because they have space in their name. Please rename it by using - instead of space.
When the plugin is enabled, do not change anything in playback settings, or it wonā€™t work for sure.
Let me know

SOLVED!!! filters changed to no space and format output also needed to be changed. AWESOME!

yeah! very glad you solved it ! let know how it behaves!
Iā€™ll add a warning with filters naming :wink:

Hi, I tried all available output formats. I tested with filter set to ā€œnoneā€ and rebooted after each change. Still I donā€™t get any sound.

Can you give some log please.
Ty
See the help page for that

Sure, please see below
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/SQRFw9v.html

I was using output format Factory_S24_3LE. Log starts after reboot and activation of BruteFir

Thank you

please try FACTORY_S24_4LE. An other reports having it working with thatā€¦ : https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/issues/275

Thank you for the support, I did not check github for any reports.
Selecting FACTORY_S24_4LE works indeed.

While testing this setting, I found some odd behaviour. After selecting a demo filter (sound still ok) and reverting back to no filter, sound would not come back. I did not touch the output format. Looking into the log, it seems, output format was changed to S32_LE (in the log at 16:46:26)
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/cw2LqbG.html
I tried to reproduce this behaviour but after another reboot everything works fine (goods news :smile:) including switching filters and switching also between different output formats.
Again, thank you for looking into it.

Very weirdā€¦ I never saw thisā€¦ I hope youā€™ll enjoy DRC ! Donā€™t try to change output format when one is ok

Balbuze, this plug-in is awsome! Thanks very much for all you do. What is your recommendation for highest quality of filters using REW/? If I use sweeps at 48 khz rates, should I then export the filter impulse wav at 48Khz and ensure the plug in reflects that rate? Should I also export as a 32-bit PCM? I do not bump any frequencies, just cuts so my attenuation for both channels is always zero, and I only equalize bass region of 80 Hz and lower.
Thanks again

I use only 44.1kHz sweep and filter as I mostly listen 44.1 flac file. I never considered upsampling as a solution to improve sound quality. Though, I suggest to use filter at least 65536 tap long. For the format, no one is better than an other as far as itā€™s supported.
You can use Rew to generate them or export impulse from Rew to the plugin to generate them using Drc-fir.
Using Rew allows you to select the range where you apply the correction (from X Hz to Y Hz)

Understood balbuze. For delays in the Brutefir plugin, can the app apply delays in the 10th of a ms? If I enter 0.9, will the software apply 0.9 or default to 1? What about hundredths of a ms? I am using the delay field to maximize the phantom center image vs actually physically moving the speakers.