Hi Michelangelo and Volumio team!
I downloaded and installed volumio 1.5 on my cubox-i2Ultra yesterday, and I am very, very happy with the result!
All the issues i had with previous volumio version (i.e. kernel panic during MPD update) are simply gone!!!
This is the very first time I have volumio up and running and it is GOOD!
More detailed feedback:
1- My system:
- Music (mainly ALAC and MP3) on Synology NAS
- Cubox mounting the NAS share via NFS
- Audiolab MDAC hooked up to the cubox via USB (got a hub in between - … the solution I found to prevent pops and clicks when using Archphile)
- NAS mount and MPD DB update work fine!
- Both Ethernet and Wifi do function great!
- Mpod client on iOS: connection OK.
- Shairport working great from both mac and iOS.
Basically, all I tried is working good!
3- Modifications to the image:
- Installed lighttpd to serve the album covers for Mpod: works great, no interference with WebUI, and no impact on CPU load, as far as I can say!
Volumio and playlists
From WebUI, it seems feasible to save a playlist.
I tried, but could not retrieve the playlist(s) I created from webUI, nor from Mpod.
From Mpod, I cannot save a playlist, which I was able to do when using Archphile.
Could you please confirm it is possible to save playlists in WebUI and retrieve them on both WebUI and Mpod/other clients?
Volumio not playing/no sound
After discovering volumio and listening to some music yesterday, I switched off the amp and DAC but left the cubox on overnight (Wifi).
This morning, I switch on the DAC and the amp, connect with Mpod and play a webradio: no sound.
On Mpod, all looks normal, but it never starts playing. At some point I can read “Paused” on the top of the screen
On WebUI, the webradio was indicated as being played but…time was not moving.
From trying other distributions, I know this happens to be a connection issue between the DAC and the Cubox.
I tried to:
- power cycle the DAC: no sound, same symptoms as described above.
- switch off DAC, reboot cubox with DAC off: no sound, same symptoms as described above.
- reboot cubox with DAC on: Voila! There was sound finally.
I will have a look at the logs and give more details about this point when I m home tonight.
In the meantime, any idea, suggestion?
- Access to volumio via finder (mac OS)
Even though my previous tries at volumio were not successful, I remember I was able to see and access some folders of the the Volumio machine on my network, directly from the finder.
This is not the case any longer, as reported there: volumio-cubox-connection-from-outside-possible-t2161.html
Easy adding Webradios:
- webradio source: vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/Br … rtpage.asp
- Include in volumio: download the .m3u file and move it to the webradio folder (/var/lib/mpd/music/WEBRADIO)
- Update DB and you can find the .m3u file(s) in the webradio folder.
Getting webradios as playlist in Mpod (My cheap workaround to the playlist issue I report above)
- webradio source: see above
- Include in playlists: download the .m3u file and move it to the playlists folder (/var/lib/mpd/playlists)
- go to the browse tab in WebUI and refresh the view. The playlist(s) appear at the same level as the shares (e.g. NAS, WEBRADIO, USB…), and can be retrieved in Mpod under saved playlists.
6- To do:
Try streaming to volumio with airfoil
Out of curiosity, try to remove the USB hub between the cubox and the DAC and confirm about pops and clicks.
Investigate the no sound issue reported above (point 4, second bullet)
Investigate the playlist issue (any help welcome)
get volumio to auto-backup (cron to reboot from USB, clone the SD card to NAS, reboot from SD) and keep different versions!
Volumio 1.5 is working very good, with only few issues to be worked out (especially the no sound one).
Volumio is a great piece of soft!
Thank you all for your dedication and hard work!
PS: to be added to the to do list, short term: find and press the “donate” button!