V2.777 "One Click Volume steps" with Hardware Mixer

“One Click Volume steps” with a setting of 1 will only adjust the volume from 0 to 14 and no further
“One Click Volume steps” with a setting of 2 will only adjust the volume from 0 to 58 and no further

When I set up Volumio it detects my DAC and sets the Mixer type to Hardware as it should.
But why I cannot use the settings available is beyond me, Steps of 1 or 2 would be ideal when using a rotary encoder.

@michelangelo
I have mentioned it before and you did ask what was the problem, which I replied with what I thought was a detailed reply, but again no reply.
773-track-selection-t14719-10.html top of page 2

This problem or bug has been around for along time, with a few people bringing it up, but nobody seems to want to give an expaination as to why it happens. The only way ive found to fix it is to set the mixer type to software, but why would you want to do that, after all this is supposed to be an audiophile audio player

Dont get me wrong but I really like Volumio but silence when people point out genuine problems is off putting.
Tell me to go and use Moode audio if you like because that works 0 to 100 with hardware mixer enabled with steps of 1, but I much prefer the UI of Volumio.
Please why ?

RPI 3B+
Topping D10 DAC connected via USB and set to use Hardware mixer ( obviously for best quality)
Volumio 2.777

I have had the same issue for years. I don’t anymore use Volumio because this was annoying.

As I have said in previous threads I think this is rounding problem with amixer and Volumio style to change the volume with percentage number (0-100%).
Raw volume steps in amixer is not always in range of 0-100 (for me its 0-207) so rounding must be done when returning or setting a percent value.

Example:

$ amixer -M -c 0 set Digital,0 30%

Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 207
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 144 [30%] [-31.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 144 [30%] [-31.50dB] [on]

$ amixer -M -c 0 set Digital,0 31%

Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch