Using a single 512GB micro SD card for Volumio OS as well as for storing the music

Hello everyone,

I plan to buy a 512GB micro SD card on which to install the Volumio OS (on Raspberry Pi 4) as well as store the entire music only on the SD card. I think this is the most elegant and neat solution, from many points of view: dimension, power consumption.
The music files will be only written once and after that only reading operations will take place.

Can you advise on the follownig topics:?

• Can you tell me if anyone has this set-up and if there are any inconveniences?
  • Is here an issue with indexing maybe 500GB of music in a single location - on the micro SD card?
  • How long will the indexing take for maybe around 8000 FLAC songs?
  • Considering 500GB is quite a lot of data, what is the preffered copying method? copy over network in Volumio-Internal network location OR insert the micro SD card (with the already installed VOlumio OS) in a Linux computer and copy the music files in a certain location on it?

Thank you very much in advance, guys!!

I mounted the whole setup in an old router case:
The SSDs heat-up quite a lot and I want to replace all of them with just the microSD card.
![

Hi,

Yes the SSDs are bit kind of overkill as you won‘t be able to benefit from the performance they could deliver.

It‘s possible to use a 512GB SDcard, but i would recommend using a smaller one plus a standard USB stick for the music.

This way you don‘t have to copy all the files again when it should come to a new setup from scratch.

Will take a long while to index, cannot say how long, but you will have to be patient.

br
Josef

I agree with Josh. Definitely go with a usb stick for the music. I tried to store everything on the sd card but that was really inconvenient when it was time to upgrade and it was slow to add more music files.