Tiny 3D Printed Volumio Pi Zero 2 Music Player

Hi there,
I have created a tiny Volumio box based on a raspberry Pi Zero 2W, I thought that you might like to see some details.

The system is:

I’ve put more details about the project on my webpage and uploaded the 3D printable files and the code that I hacked to GitHub.

If you have any questions, please ask.
Drew

7 Likes

What a brilliant concept. Looks amazing.

1 Like

Really brilliant concept, I agree!

Can’t wait to print mine. Well done, keep up the good work!

Wow! That is really cool. You did a fantastic job, good work.

Hello can you possibly help me?

I am buying a brennan b2 this device is a stereo hifi system with CD player based on raspberry pi 1 (you will see it in this video)

At the moment it is based on some custom firmware which is designed for raspberry pi 1 (it could be volumino, I don’t know.

But raspberry pi 1 is old and not powerful and it needs external usb Wi-Fi and external usb Bluetooth

I want to upgrade this device to turn it into a media player to play movies via kodi etc, and a device where I can call people via WhatsApp using the remote control only. I well never use a keyboard or mouse

I am exploring two options

I have 2 options

1. repurpose this hifi with the existing raspberry pi 1, and just edit the firmware
  2. upgrade this hifi to raspberry pi 3 b+ with integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (then I don’t need to use external usb devices) but the custom firmware needs to be rebuilt for raspberry pi 3 b+ so that all the functions of the hifi (stereo) are still working ie ir receiver, cd player, front screen etc

In addition to this I require the following extra stuff

A) have a multi boot system, it needs to have 1) this custom firmware 2) lineageOS 3) osmc

But because I won’t have a keyboard and mouse I need to be able to quickly switch between operating systems with only the stereo remote control. So I need to be able to press a combination of buttons on the remote control to switch to operating system 2 or 3.

B) I want to turn a remote control into a microphone as well, so that I can make WhatsApp calls via this hifi stereo system. And the remote control will also be the microphone.

But also if I connected my headphones via Bluetooth I should also be able to make these phone calls

These are my requirements.

1 Like

if the chassis is metal, you will have problems with the WiFi and BT signal of the integrated module on the newer Raspberry Pi.

• Since the device is using the GPIO, I doubt that you can easily swap the rPi as the 1 and 3 have different GPIO pin lay-outs.
  • I doubt that you can’t multiboot by RC as this controller is not loaded yet, when you are going to select an OS. (Maybe you can tweak the boot part of berryboot)
  • you can look at berryboot, there are special built images for rPi-1 Volumio and OSMC
  • You need to built your SquashFS image for the custom software

I have a quick question, I am new to 3D Printing and my printer the Longer LK5 Pro only accepts GCODE. I have no idea how to turn your 3MF files into a file that this printer will accept. Can you help me?

Nice design, I have added a Li-ion battery shield to this radio, to make it really portable (within reach of Wifi ;-). Also I hacked the housing design to make space for the battery shield. Thank you very much for sharing this with us! The only thing I would like to improve is minimizing the power consumption of the raspi zero to extend battery life (now about 2 hours on a 1000mA/h li-ion cell). Feature request: adjustable background screen lightning in the Pirate plugin setup.

1 Like

Hi Sef,
That’s great, thank you for sharing :grin:
I’m glad you like it.
I like your modifications to add Battery power.
Drew

1 Like

The internet radio is working fine on the UPS battery. I used this one: 16.15€ 9% OFF|Diymore Raspberry Pi Nul Ups Lite Voeding Board Met 1000Mah 3.7V Lithium Polymeer Batterij|Geintegreerde Schakelingen| - AliExpress
It is possible to couple the UPS to the raspberry zero via the i2s bus. There is also some python scripting on the internet to do this: search for UPS_lite.py
You can read out thew battery voltage, and the percentage when loading up. To protect the battery from unloading too deep, the radio should automatically shut, but that are plans for the future.

The housing is based on your original design, I enlarged it in TinkerCad. The bottom part for the UPS lite part is in fact the same design as the top section, without the buttons and the opening for the display.
By using flexible plastic translucent tubing (2mm) that can transport light, the status of the different LED’s is made visual on the top plate of the housing.

I am also glad that you appreciate my modifications !