This is what I want; can I do it? What do I need to know?

Hi,

My HiFi is in my sitting room and my ALAC files are on external HDD (Drobo) connected to my iMac in the study. I currently stream music from iTunes on the iMac via Ethernet and Devolo Homeplugs to an Apple TV in the sitting room, which is connected by toslink to an Arcam rDAC - amplifier - speakers. I intend at some stage to upgrade the DAC (maybe to a Graham Slee Majestic DAC). Nothing is wireless with the exception of using Apple Remote on my iPad to control iTunes on the iMac. My ALAC files are referenced by iTunes rather than being within the iTunes library.

OK, that’s what I’ve got, but I want the flexibility of being able to put FLAC and hi res audio through my future DAC.

Will I be able to do this with the Raspberry Pi / HiFiBerry Digi / Volumio combination? I would connect the unit via Ethernet and Homeplug. Would I be able to configure it fetch the audio files from the HDD connected to the iMac? Would I be able to control the Volumio software from my iPad even if the R Pi doesn’t have a WiFi dongle?

OK, those are my initial questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Ifor

Will I be able to do this with the Raspberry Pi / HiFiBerry Digi / Volumio combination?
In principle, yes. Volumio runs on the RPi, the iMac shares files (see System Preferences / Sharing on the iMac)

I would connect the unit via Ethernet and Homeplug. Would I be able to configure it fetch the audio files from the HDD connected to the iMac?
Would I be able to control the Volumio software from my iPad even if the R Pi doesn’t have a WiFi dongle?

On the iPad log into Volumio via Safari Web Browser. The iPad is connected to the home network just as the RPi.

As an alternative you can use Airplay / Airfoil to play music on the iMac (iTunes or another music player) and play it through your Dac via RPi. Volumio has the software for that, Shairport, built in. In that case you do not have to share files and you do not use the library and player functions of Volumio.

Thank you Hans. That all sounds very promising.