RuneAudio

Look at this:
runeaudio.com/ :unamused:

Volumio Rocks :sunglasses:

Come from some staff members of Raspyfi, the men behind the Web UI. So it’s not a copycat, but kind of fork.

However it’s less stable, at least for me.

RuneAudio ist based on ArchLinux, non the rock-stable good old Debian.

But I’m testing a pure ArchLinux-Installation + mpd in realtime-mode. I have disabled all logs on SD-Card and now I have no more struggle with pops and clicks etc. until 96/24. :slight_smile: 192/24 are nearly pefect, but there remains little bit to do.

I think the newer kernel has probably considerable advantages for the USB-bus.

Ok, no more volumio-GUI. :wink:

Also it can’t do username/password for NAS. That is no-go for me right there.

Which kernel are you using for RT?

This one:

uname -a Linux raspberrypi 3.10.25-2-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Thu Jan 9 13:39:28 MST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

I did an A to B test with Volumio and Runeaudio.

Some pros and cons:

1. Volumio is better with automatic USB mounting. I haven’t managed to understand what’s going wrong sometimes and i cannot mount my usb disk in Runeaudio.
  2. In volumio i set volume to 100% and then i disable the hardware mixer. The volume level remains 100% after reboot. In Runeaudio i do the same and after every reboot the volume is lowered to 60something.
  3. Runeaudio plays better 24/192 over samba share but it has some problems with clicks and sounds. Volumio suffers to play over network the same file. It stops all the time, making listening to the file nearly impossible. I haven’t deeply tested Runeaudio as my daily driver is Volumio, but definately Volumio needs some fixes with regards to 24/192 flac files.

At the moment for my needs Volumio is the winner and i really hope that it will be better and better with each newer version.

EDIT:

RTFM sutis me 100%!! My dac does not support 24/192, so please ignore the above reference to it.

On which platform did you run the test? Raspberry Pi or BBB?
I read that RuneAudio came out with a new release a couple of days ago, where they claim to have introduced many improvements. Did you use the last version in the test? I’d like to know if it’s worth to try it.

My platform is Rpi and I used the latest runeaudio. At the moment volumio is totally a winner as runeaudio can’t mount my usb disk, after every reboot audio Volume is lowered and I have to enable the Mixer, set it to 100 and then Disable it again and there is a annoying sound when I change a song. Last but not least network configuration is not usable and buggy and at the moment only dhcp is supported, at least in my installation.

The only part that runeaudio won was when playing 24/96 from my samba share, where volumio has some weird sounds during playback.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Here no problem mounting my USB-disc. alsamixer saves the audio volume. Network: No static config .
But a lot of clicks, pops, glitches. :frowning:
No chance with chrt.

My personal edition of ArchLinux + mpd is much better. May be a kernelprob? Runeaudio uses this one:

uname -a Linux runeaudio 3.6.11-18-ARCH+ #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 21 01:15:42 CDT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

for what reason do you disable the hardware mixer? leave it 100% if you don’t need it, the quality and cpu usage don’t change!

No more trouble with pops, clicks and so on…

Unfortunately not only the kernel or the logs are responsable, but obviously the DAC too:
Yesterday I tested the FiiO Olympus E10 USB DAC. And the music suffered from a lot of clicks etc (nrpacks=1).
Back again to HiFace1 with this little cheap DAC:
ebay.com/itm/Digital-zu-Anal … 1079866848
Not HighEnd, but it works.
Probably I should order a HifiBerry for the next tests… :wink:

Hardware audio does not produce clicks and pops, it is a setting transferred directly to the audio card and it uses no cpu power at all.
Please explain or bring support data for your statement.

Pi has bandwith issues, these are resulting in crackles and noise. More data passes through eth or usb, more chance to get crackles. It’s a kernel\driver\bus combination of issues. I’m fighting against it since the beginning of RaspyFi…

People, keep the higher resolution (24 bit, it IS useful) and just downsample to 48 kHz or, if you don’t get pops/clicks or if your sound card is not very good, 96 kHz.

There is not even ONE proof or reason to believe that more than 48 kHz are useful: the theory says it is useless and no scientific test was able (just in case the theory was wrong…) to prove any difference.
Nada, no one except marketing has reason to push for them (again: keep the 24 bits, those are useful).

Anyway you are not a dolphin and cannot hear more than 18 kHz anyway… and no instruments are really outputting sound at those frequencies!
psbspeakers.com/articles/The … s-of-Music
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb … chins.html

The only reason to use 96 kHz is when the sound cars is of poor quality and the filter that cuts unwanted sound (noise and artifacts) over 21 kHz is done poorly: the same filter would have better performances at higher frequencies. But in general, don’t bother worrying if you have an external audio card or DAC.

And until this point is only engineering, science and human biology.

Now, of course if you are audiophile and hear differences… buy some oxygen free audio cables and USB gold cables… :smiley: