Ripping Audio from DVD to FLAC

I have a few DVDs of live concerts from which I would like to rip the Audio to FLAC format to play with Volumio.

Question: What software do you use to do this? I already have Fre:ac installed to rip my CDs and find that it works perfectly for me.

Also, Is the Audio quality on DVDs up to the same quality as that on CD?

Thank you for reading. All opinions are welcome …

OK… I have found the solution to my quest though I seem to be on my own here…

cd or dvd are the same quality only ripping it is different …
vlc-player, Free DVD Ripper Ultimate could do it…

Thank you for the clarification.

I did try VLC but the ripprd FLAC File was very distorted and over-modulated resulting in “motorboating” when attempting to play it.

I had more success with Free DVD Ripper Ultimate which created a FLAC File which plays well. A couple of observations:

1. It rips the whole DVD to a single FLAC file although the DVD has track gaps. Is there away to split the file into individual tracks and Index them accordingly?

2. I ripped two DVDs and the first one seems overmodulated and the second one is undermodulated. Is there a way to control this when ripping?

audacity? simple and handy … i think you have to do that by hand…

overmodulation: is the end … what is screwed stays screwed …
undermodulation: boost it in audacity

you could just rip the sound via audio output of the dvd player …
overmodulation …maybe your dvd player has a volume controle?

As a beginner, you should use Audacity in the first place. I use it too and it is extremely easy to use. For help, you can follow the steps in this guide. Since I followed it at first, I shared it here in hopes that someone else would benefit from it as well.