Reclocker (i2s ps jitter)

On this subject, I’d be more confident with the Allo offerings if they had any documentation available. There’s no reference for the HW on the Allo site or on the Sparky forum site (which appears to be brand new and unused). The questions such as “What do the switches do?” wouldn’t get asked here, assuming that people RTFM…

Chris M

May i ask you then to answer the questions here regarding the jumpers on KALI and Piano. Nobody really knows 1) what they mean 2) how to set them up for KALI and Piano on a rpi.

Kind regards
Karim

Hello guys, today I got a little more time with the rpi3-allo declocker and the piano dac… Compared to the hifiberry dac+ this combo is superior, clearer and with more detail… Once the little loop bug get sorted out there is nothing to complain about I’m so happy that I bought this combo.

Hello, I have Volumio 2 running on a RPI3. Today I got the Kali reclocker, connected it to my Buffalo 2 DAC via I2S. When playing 48/192 or webradio it works fine. But any 44.1 16 bit wav files (from USB HDD) play extremely distorted, and only out the left channel. Decided to try the Allo DAC

So, I tried the piano 2.1 dac on the kali and again, it will only play higher than 44.1/16 quality wave files, and streaming/mp3. When I try to play 44.1/16 there’s no sound from the piano 2.1 dac at all. Of course my whole collection is ripped at 44.1/16… I think there’s a sound setting that needs to be modified in volumio, but I’m not a software guy… I can edit a file if needed, but that’s about it.

Any help would be great! Really want to hear this new hardware play!

Thank You!

-Mike

Interesting… I suspect you’re having issues with the 44.1 clock.
Please report your issue to andre at allo.com directly

It’s really a new product and we’re like pioneers on this one. I’m sure allo will find a solution, I’ll do some research as well.

Ons simple option could be adding (manually) a resampler option to mpd to resample everything to 24 bits …

Thanks Michelangelo,

Would that be something like this?

// Always use a 64fs bclk_ratio
/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/ {
compatible = “brcm,bcm2708”;

fragment@0 {
	target = <&sound>;
	__overlay__ {
		// 2ch, 32/24/16bit rule
		// set bclk_ratio=64
		hw-params-rule@0 {
			rule-name = "32/24/16BIT_2CH_BCLK64";
			priority = <99>;
			match@0 {
				method = "asoc_generic_hw_params_match_channels";
				values = <2>;
			};
			match@1 {
				method = "asoc_generic_hw_params_match_sample_bits";
				values = <32>, <24>, <16>;
			};
			action@0 {
				method = "asoc_generic_hw_params_set_fixed_bclk_size";
				value = <64>;
			};
		};
		// default rule
		// set blck_ratio=0 (Let cpu driver decide bclk_ratio)
		hw-params-rule@1 {
			rule-name = "DEFAULT_BCLK0";
			priority = <0>;
			match@0 {
				method = "asoc_generic_hw_params_match_noop";
			};
			action@0 {
				method = "asoc_generic_hw_params_set_fixed_bclk_size";
				value = <0>;
			};
		};
	};
};

};

I’m pretty good with the hardware end of this stuff, but software… I know almost nothing… Had to go back to the digi+ for now. I even tried just putting the kali between the Pi and the digi+. No output just trying the “preset” output devices in Volumio2. The digi+ did light up, I read the kali does not pass the 3.3v only the 5v. I saw someone ask about it on a forum, so I tried to help. I think it will work, but I’m software handicapped…

Thanks for the reply!
-Mike

Try this:

add this to the bottom of mpd.conf

resampler {
plugin “soxr”
quality “very high”
}

and add this to the audio output section (the one named alsa)

audio_output_format “192000:24:2”

(this will resample to 192\24)

or if you prefer

audio_output_format “44100:24:2”

(cd quality, but 24 bits)

I suggest to edit mpd.conf with nano. Save it with ctrl+x and then do

sudo service mpd restart

let me know

mi

Going to try and follow your directions. Just had a reply from a guy on DIY Audio who says:

BCLK needs to be 64xfs for ES9018!

Now I try my luck at the software world, wish me luck!

So the assumption here is that it’s not compatible with ESS 9018…
I don’t think it’s the case. I think it’s a clock related problem, but not a straight incompatibility…
Anyway, with resampling you will solve it for good

Let’s wait what allo says…

PS: Moved to appropriate thread

Hello,
Is there a paper with timings and diagrams describing the reclocking process, i.e. how much a ps jitter affects the datas running at a MHz or tens of MHz clock ?
Thank you

Stéphane Acounis

Chris,

pleas refer to the KALI page
allo.com/sparky/kali-reclocker.html
at the bottom, click the Support & Downloads tab.
there you will see the diagrams for pin outs and jumpers.

please let me know if you have any other questions.

regards
Andre

Hello Mike,
i have asked the team and will get back to you.
thanks,
Andre

Thank you for the kind comments.
we are working on the loop.
will revert soon
thanks
Andre

Hi Andre,

"please let me know if you have any other questions. "

Thanks, but ‘What do the switches do?’. It’s this sort of question that suggests the use of a tech writer somewhere in the genesis of these products, if only to ask (and then write up) this sort of question.

Chris M

Chris,
please refer to this diagram
allo.com/img-files/products/spar … ttings.png

the one on the left is for internal testing… so it does nothing.
the one on the right either lets the KALI power the SBC it is used with or not.

let me know if its clear.

thanks,
Andre

Mike,
see reply from team:

deja-vu… BCLK needs to be 64xfs for ES9018!

Hi Andre,

'let me know if its clear. ’ Yes, that’s fine, and thanks. Any chance of a UK adapter for the PSU? At that point, I’ll take the plunge and get the Piano+Kali+PSU bundle from Michelangelo,

all the best,

Chris M

:slight_smile:
well the plunge is more like a nice dive in a lake of beautiful sounding music.
the reviews are very positive.
about the UK adapter… we dont have one yet, but I am sure you can get one locally.
only EU and US for now.

thanks
Andre

Are there any cases that fit the combo of a raspberry pi with the declocker and piano dac on top? Would prefer a transparent one so all that blue light can shine :slight_smile:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

A question to understand the Kali Reclocker:

I have a Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 V2 on a RPi 2 B. The DAC itself has his own clock … how does the Kali Reclocker plays together with that, how does it work?

Thanks, Tom