Raspberry Pi OS 64bit

Would be great to move onto upstream Debian, so we don’t need multiple multistrap configurations! Just pull in these from thier APT repos.

ii  libc-bin                             2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: Binaries
ii  libc-dev-bin                         2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: Development binaries
ii  libc-devtools                        2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: Development tools
ii  libc-l10n                            2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        all          GNU C Library: localization files
ii  libc6:arm64                          2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libc6-dbg:arm64                      2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: detached debugging symbols
ii  libc6-dev:arm64                      2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        arm64        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files
ii  libcamera-apps-lite                  0~git20220131+7ac5197-1          arm64        libcamera-apps-lite
ii  libcamera0:arm64                     0~git20220201+e96d0201-1         arm64        complex camera support library
ii  libraspberrypi-bin                   1:2+git20211125~155417+14b90ff-3 arm64        Miscellaneous Raspberry Pi utilities
ii  libraspberrypi-dev                   1:2+git20211125~155417+14b90ff-3 arm64        Libraries for the Raspberry Pi's VideoCore IV (headers)
ii  libraspberrypi-doc                   1:2+git20211125~155417+14b90ff-3 all          Libraries for the Raspberry Pi's VideoCore IV (docs)
ii  libraspberrypi0:arm64                1:2+git20211125~155417+14b90ff-3 arm64        Libraries for the Raspberry Pi's VideoCore IV
ii  locales                              2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u2        all          GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]
ii  pi-bluetooth                         0.1.18                           all          Raspberry Pi 3 bluetooth
ii  python3-rpi.gpio                     0.7.0-0.2+b2                     arm64        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (Python 3)
ii  raspberrypi-archive-keyring          2021.1.1+rpt1                    all          GnuPG archive keys of the Raspberry Pi OS archive
ii  raspberrypi-bootloader               1:1.20220120-1                   arm64        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-kernel                   1:1.20220120-1                   arm64        Raspberry Pi bootloader
ii  raspberrypi-net-mods                 1.3.3                            all          Network configuration for the Raspberry Pi UI
ii  raspberrypi-sys-mods                 20220110+1                       arm64        System tweaks for the Raspberry Pi
ii  raspi-config                         20220126                         all          Raspberry Pi configuration tool
ii  raspi-gpio                           0.20191001                       arm64        Dump the state of the BCM270x GPIOs
ii  raspinfo                             20190624-1                       all          Dump information about the Pi
ii  rpi-eeprom                           13.6-1                           arm64        Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
ii  rpi-update                           20210618                         all          Raspberry Pi firmware updating tool
ii  rpi.gpio-common:arm64                0.7.0-0.2+b2                     arm64        Module to control Raspberry Pi GPIO channels (common files)

If we accept there would be two images for Pi’s as does Pi OS and HifiberryOS then we can also get around all the extra steps to get nodeJS to run on arm6hf that is possibly effecting performance.

1 Like

Had some time today – my Pi’s run 64 bit now :slight_smile:

___
                      /\_ \                        __
         __  __    ___\//\ \    __  __    ___ ___ /\_\    ___
        /\ \/\ \  / __`\\ \ \  /\ \/\ \ /' __` __`\/\ \  / __`\
        \ \ \_/ |/\ \L\ \\_\ \_\ \ \_\ \/\ \/\ \/\ \ \ \/\ \L\ \
         \ \___/ \ \____//\____\\ \____/\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \_\ \____/
          \/__/   \/___/ \/____/ \/___/  \/_/\/_/\/_/\/_/\/___/

Free Audiophile Linux Music Player - Version 3.11.05

© 2015-2022 Michelangelo Guarise - Volumio Team - Volumio.org

Volumio Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Welcome to Volumio for Raspberry Pi (5.10.92-v8+ aarch64)

The only error I found (so far) was:

systemd[598]: volumio-remote-updater.service: Failed to execute /usr/local/bin/volumio-remote-u>
systemd[598]: volumio-remote-updater.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/local/bin/volum>

Great stuff Ash, I am a big proponent of pushing Volumio towards the current edge of what is available. This is Debian anyway, which is very conservative in it’s approach to going forward (I totally understand that Volumio maintainers are wanting stabilty). However, it is important to point out that your direction (and images) are not going to provide the extras that ‘MyVolumio’ does (even on the “free” tier).

1 Like

Our focus is to keeping it simple, from a user and maintenance perspective.

Adding another image for pi (plus the extra maintenance work) is not on the table now, as it will provide neglegtible benefits but with a big dev overhead.

I think that experimentation is a good thing here, but officially we can’t promise anything on it.

Indeed “free” tier or not, myVolumio is closed source, and hence off limits, especially in my free time!

Just to clarify - these tests/images were purely for my personal use, and as I mentioned in Volumio Debian Bullseye Alpha - Raspi images - #15 by ashthespy - with the plugin’s coupled to myVolumio, it doesn’t make much sense to release “community” images where you can’t access plugins easily.

While 64bit might not have a big impact on Volumio on the Pi’s, The benefit of multiple images for the PI’s is more to do with relegating armv6 to a different image compared to armv7/v8

I hope you realise that currently the entire volumio-backend core software is being run on an unsupported version of NodeJs. They dropped armv6 support back in 2019.

And this is for the few handful of people running Pi Zeros (which have 512MB of RAM, that isn’t the greatest experience with myVolumio).

You could look probably look into Volumio’s device analytics and confirm how many Pi zeros’s are out there in the wild…

End of the day, as with dropping 32bit support for x86, at some point amv6 support might also prove to be much to much maintenance resource…

I agree on that, there will be a performance benefit.

But as you point out, then we will basically remove support for people running on PI Zero (which is quite popular, to my disappointment :wink: ) .

As of now, our statistics does not differentiate between PI versions (we should definitely do it, to have some data to back our decision here).

This is likely to change reasonably quickly, I would guess, as people who want the small form of RPi0 migrate to RPi0 2, which is ofc not armv6, and has much improved performance.

If only you could buy one :expressionless:

Damn those microchips shortages…

So does anyone have a 64bit build of Volumio for Raspberry PI OS? I am thinking of adding (hopefully) a PlexAmp ‘plugin’ but the new headless PlexAmp requires 64bit OS?