Pro-Ject Stream S2 Ultra - persistent clicking during playback

I purchased a Stream S2 Ultra a couple of years ago, but have only just started using it.
Unfortunately I’ve noticed an ‘almost’ imperceptible clicking noise which occurs randomly during playback. Whilst ‘almost’ imperceptible, it’s very annoying.
My set up consists of an external SSD connected to the S2 via Audioquest Forest USB cable, and a Chord Mojo 2 DAC, also connected via an Audioquest Forest USB cable.
I’ve tried alternative hard drives but all with the same result.
Interestingly, when I use the S2 as a renderer, with Audirvana Studio as the control software, the clicking disappears.
It would therefore appear that the Volumio integration with the S2 may be the problem.
As the Pro-ject website is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, I’m beginning to think that I’ve spent £600 on quite possibly the worst bit of hi-fi/software I’ve EVER purchased.
Anyone on here experienced similar and have any idea as to how I can remedy this rather expensive problem (flashing with an alternative software possibly), or should I just take the unit outside and hit it with a rather large hammer and call it quits?

The REAL issue is that Project does not bother to update their software.
Depending on your requirements, you could try the latest released public Volumio version, no guarantee though.
Perhaps use a usb-to-eth adapter in case of of wired net dependency, try it, you can’t really break anything.

1 Like

Cheers @gkkpch, much appreciated.
So, is there a way of installing a full-fat version of Volumio on the S2 as opposed to the apparently inadequte, outdated version that ships with the S2?