[PLUGIN] Touch Display

Hey guys.
I did not enable a plugin at the start, I assumed, incorrectly, that the software from volumio controlled such things.

I am happy to report that after enabling touch screen plugin all now works successfully and is beautiful.

Thank you so so so much for your help.

1 Like

Hey guys, so as reported the screen now works, but only when i connect my phone to it via the app. If i dont do that it just displays the textual login screen.
Is there a way to get it to boot right to the volumio gui?
The reason i ask is im always going to use tidal or online radio and would prefer to do it with a dedicated ir remote, making the pi pretty much a standalone hifi component.

Also, which ir remotes work right out of the box, presumably by a hat or gpio?
Many thanks
Roy

Never heard of that. When the phone is not connected via the app, i.e. when the screen is not displaying Volumio’s UI, please use a browser to access Volumio’s UI, head over to the “Installed Plugins” tab on the “Plugins Management” page, take a screenshot and post it.

That should happen by default when the Touch Display plugin is enabled.

Hey gbolt, thanks for helping me
So I have attached 3 pictures, first is what it boots to as standalone, second is what I see when I dial in with app or browser (screen turns on)
Third is the plug-in installed

So, when you boot the system at first Volumio’s UI is not shown on the locally connected display, but as soon as you connect to the system via app or browser the UI (also) appears on the locally connected display?

Correct.
If I don’t dial in by either app or browser all I get is the black login screen

After booting don’t connect via app or browser but via SSH.

Then post the results of the following commands:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

cat /data/configuration/plugins.json

systemctl status -l volumio-kiosk.service

If possible in order to post the results please don’t use pictures but copy the text from the console and paste it into your new post. Format the pasted text by highlighting it and then typing Ctrl-E.

ok, so this is the strangest thing ever.
i rebooted the pi.
got to text login screen, plugged in a keyboard.
logged in to see if the logs were small enough to retype here.
as i was typing the screen blanked out, and loaded the gui.
i have rebooted it from cold 5 times, and now it loads into the gui every time… odd.

ill assume this is fixed and my pi is just scared of you gvolt, so now complies to my wishes…lol.

thank you again.

:rofl: Let’s hope so.

ok, final question.?

best remote to use right out the box?
i do have an ir reciever if needs be to wire in.

I cannot make a recommendation for a particular remote control. If you plan to use the IR Controller plugin, it is probably easiest to take one of the remotes for which a profile is already available.

Usually depending on the available keys of a particular remote typically (but not always) “play”, “pause”, “mute”, “volume”, “next”, “previous”, “seek”, “repeat” and “random” can be controlled remotely. Currently the IR Controller plugin ships with configurations for the following remote controls:

• Apple Remote A1156 Alternative
  • Apple Remote A1156
  • Apple Remote A1294 Alternative
  • Apple Remote A1294
  • Arcam ir-DAC-II Remote
  • Atrix Remote
  • Bluesound RC1
  • Copland RC-102A
  • Denon Remote RC-1204
  • JustBoom IR Remote
  • Marantz RC003PMCD
  • Odroid Remote
  • PDP Gaming Remote Control
  • Philips CD723
  • Samsung AA59-00431A
  • Samsung_BN59-006XXA
  • XBox 360 Remote
  • XBox One Remote
  • Xiaomi IR for TV box
  • Yamaha RAV363

But you are not limited to use these. You can store your own configurations for remote controls in a dedicated folder named “/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller/configurations”. A subfolder must be created in the aforementioned directory for each custom remote control, in which the necessary LIRC files “lircrc” and “lirc.conf” for the particular remote control have to be stored. You would need to generate / create the files “lircrc” and “lirc.conf” yourself; if you are lucky, you may find a suitable “lircd.conf” file for the specific remote control on the web, e.g. here.

I’m really happy with the Odroid remote.

1 Like

Flirc.
It works for all the usual play/stop/next/previous commands and lots more.

Plug it into any PC, set the commands you want it to use with whichever remote handset you want to use.
Then just plug the Flirc into an RPi USB port and you’re done.

ok, this looks amazing and it seems to pair easily with my Logitech harmony one…
you sir are a gent! thanks for the info.

Hey PH68
Any chance you could talk me through this?
I got the flirc usb and it says super easy setup etc, but im lost.
It also says it works right away with logitech remotes, which im using, a harmony ultimate 1.
plugged in the usb to the pi, dont even know if it sees it…
Any suggestions?

I suggest opening a new thread about the Flirc installation so as not to clutter this thread, which is about the Touch Display plugin. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Patrickkfan,

is it possible to scroll through the albums vertically instead of horizontally

regards

Sorry if this is covered but searching through the forum I can’t find it: Is there a way to change the font size for the Touch Display plugin? I know the Now Playing one can, but I like how the default Touch Display plugin looks, I just wish the fonts were bigger and more readable. I thought maybe there would be some steps to SSH in and change the userconfig.txt or other file to do this, but I haven’t found any advice so far. Thanks for any help.

No.

Changing the font size requires modifying Volumio UI’s .css files.

Ok, thanks. I got into the files via SFTP with Filezilla instead of using SSH in Terminal, I’ll see if I can figure out how and which CSS file to edit (hopefully without destroying anything, though I suppose I can always factory reset or re-flash).