[PLUGIN] IR Remote Controller feedback thread

Hm, the “gpio-ir” overlay does not get loaded. I will have to investigate why that happens. Before doing so, please also post the result of

cat /data/configuration/accessory/ir_controller/config.json

P.S. Is this a fresh Volumio system and what Volumio version are you using? Board is a Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB Rev. 1.4 I assume. Do you have any other hardware (what?) connected besides the DAC?

P.P.S. What is the IR controller plugin version?

hi,

yes indded, Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB

official RPi touch screeen and Shanti power supply are connected, the neweat ver of Volumio is running

cat /data/configuration/accessory/ir_controller/config.json returned:

{
“ir_profile”: {
“type”: “string”,
“value”: “Marantz RC003PMCD”
}
}

Zrzut ekranu 2021-01-14 o 17.07.42

Does the problem also occur,

1. if you disable and reenable the plugin on your running system?

2. if you disable the plugin, reboot Volumio and then enable the plugin?

1.yes
2.yes

I re-installed the plugin and still nothing, I have drop down menu with remote control models but I don’t have the one to assign the GPIO

should I re-install the Volumio again ?

Maybe try re-installing the plugin at first. Though I don’t see why that could/would solve the issue it might be worth a try and not too time consuming.

hi, did already few times, without a resut (with and wihout restarting the Pi afterwards)

Ok, I hope to find a little time tonight to look at the plugin’s code and do some tests.

If you don’t shy away from setting up Volumio from scratch that would at least have the advantage that we start from a defined state hunting down the problem.

sure! will do thanks a lot !

In a conversation and testing session with @dom.efendi it has been revealed that the detection of Raspberry Pi board revision had a bug. I opened a PR on GitHub for new version of the plugin that will fix it.

Thank you again for All your time and help @gvolt :blush:

Thanks to @balbuze the PR has already been merged. So the new version (1.3.3) of the plugin should be installable from the UI.

I am running version 1.3.3 of the plugin. I have it set to the odroid profile. Previous versions of the plugin worked fine. Version 1.3.3 does not let me set my volume above 58/100. I am using the natural volume profile. I normally have my max volume setting set to 80. I have tried setting it to 100 as well.I can manually use the GUI slider to set the volume to anything i want 1-100. But for some reason via the ir remote I can only goto 58.

The change from version 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 only fixed the detection of the Raspberry Pi board revision. So IMHO it is unlikely that your issue has been caused by the latest changes to the plugin. Versions 1.3.0 to 1.3.2 also did not change anything on the “mechanisms” how IR signals are detected and translated to certain “actions” like volume up or down.

With the Odroid remote profile pressing the volume up key on the remote gets translated to the command

/usr/local/bin/volumio volume plus

If you have access to the command line (e.g. via SSH) you could execute that command to turn up the volume and test if the limitation occurs, too.

BTW:

1. What hardware platform are you using (Pi x, Odroid x…)?
  2. What is your current Volumio version?
  3. What was the Volumio version where you did not have the issue?
  4. What has been the last version of the plugin where you did not have the issue?
  5. Did you use the natural volume profile before, too? What happens if you change that?
  6. Do you get beyond 58 if you remove/change the max volume setting of 80?
  7. In case you are using a DAC: Does setting the output to headphones and then changing the output back to your DAC help?

Thank you for your rapid response.

What hardware platform are you using (Pi x, Odroid x…)?

Pi 4

What is your current Volumio version?

volumio 2.868. plugin 1.3.3

What was the Volumio version where you did not have the issue?

Not sure. But things were fine till just a few days ago.

What has been the last version of the plugin where you did not have the issue?

Not sure. But things were fine till just a few days ago.

Did you use the natural volume profile before, too? What happens if you change that?

I always use the natural volume profile/hardware mixer. However I just tested the linear profile and that works fine. I can raise the volume all the way to 100.

Do you get beyond 58 if you remove/change the max volume setting of 80?

The max volume setting does not seem to make a difference. I max out at 58 using the IR. However, if I use the volumio gui, I can select volume levels all the way upto the max setting (80 or even 100 if I have that allowed).

In case you are using a DAC: Does setting the output to headphones and then changing the output back to your DAC help?

swapping back and forth to headphones does not help. I normally am set to XMOS USB Audio for my output.

1 Like

Thank you for the additional information.

The fact that the volume control reacts to the IR remote at all (even only up to 58) was already indicating that the issue probably is not caused by the plugin. Your finding fortifies that.

Since you are running Volumio 2.868 - which AFAIK is not a release version - it could be that there have been changes how the “natural” volume profile works.

Did you have the chance to connect to your system by SSH and try increasing the volume beyond level 58 on the command line by executing volumio volume plus?

Yes, from the command line I can increase the volume, but it will only increase to 58.

IMHO that confirms that the problem is not caused by the plugin.

Are you able to go back to Volumio’s latest release version (2.861) and check if volume control works there?

I have more info for troubleshooting now.

I went back to the 2.861 version. The volume control bug is still there. However, further testing has revealed the circumstance that causes the error.

If I goto settings\playback options\volume options and change the “one click volume steps” settings I can cause the natural volume control problem to happen. one click steps = 1 or 2 causes the problem. Steps 4 or greater work fine.

Thanks for testing with 2.861. Currently I have only access to a Volumio system (2.861 on a Pi 4) without a DAC. Therefore output is set to headphone. With “one click volume steps” set to 1 or 2 volume control works over the full range - independently from the setting of “volume curve mode”.

As the issue appears not to be related to the IR controller plugin maybe open a new threat to get more attention.

you have been very helpful and thank you for the guidance to seek help from the main volumio program.