Play music from tablet

I have installed Volumio Premium on a PC and I control it through my tablet without any problems sending the signal to my preamp/dac. I’m having trouble if I want to listen to music by playing it directly with the tablet’s audio output and not with the pre/dac that’s connected to the PC, I can’t do that. Can I do that? What?

yes, when you have a premium account, you can use the “play here” option. Otherwise no.

I sometimes use file explorer on the iPad.

I don’t think @flavio61 meant music from his tablet, he wants to play via Volumio and use the tablet’s audio device as output.

What is your tablet’s OS and make?

I’m not associated nor advertising any product, sharing my personal experience:

For Android based tablet my favourite is:

What you are looking for is a good quality UPnP app with DLNA and cast capabilities, plenty to find in the Google Play or the Apple Store. You will need to experiment with and find one to your liking. For UPnP to work you will need to be on the same network as your Volumio is.

Lenovo. Android

I’ve tried this feature but no music comes out of the tablet and it keeps playing on my pre

This is

I think now I understand your question.

1. Music library is on your PC Volumio.
  2. You would like to play music stored on Volumio PC on your tablet speakers or headset.
  • install miniDLNA plugin on your Volumio
  • setup plugin, you can use “Show more Parameters” and update your Volunio friendly name to your liking, serial number to some random digits (8 or more)
  • download DLNA DMS type application on your tablet

You Volumio should show up within a couple of seconds. There are limitations like - artwork will not be available, media file metadata is abbreviated.

Example DLNA retriever app:

Thanks Nerd I’ll try this too. Anyway I did some tests trying to access my Volumio PC via IP. Volumio opens and the music is played by the tablet but I have continuous freezes every 30/45 seconds, the music freezes and then starts again after 10/15 seconds. Sometimes the reproduction doesn’t even start. On the same system until a few days ago I was using Roon and I never had any problems.

anyway- with premium you would be able to listen to your volumio device even outside of your home network :grinning: