Open Beta Testing of new TIDAL and QOBUZ implementation, feedback wanted

Are you clicking the play button for the entire playlist or the play button to the left of the individual tracks?

If the latter, this will be the same problem I’ve already reported. Even in 2.851 the play button to the left of tracks does not work - I have to click the 3 dots to the right of the song and choose play. It seems strange that such an obvious and easy to encounter bug is still unfixed after so long.

When was this feature added? Last time I checked Favourites was local only to Volumio and did not update back to Tidal or Qobuz.

In fact, digging a bit it seems to work only from here :

Seems to not work from playback or track

Primo 2.851
Qobuz : Premuim Studio
No metadata for certain artist here :

but ok here :

Maybe due to ‘ë’ not sure to be a problem from streaming services

Thanks for the reports! The last issue about the playlist has been just solved. As DBMandrake suggested it was about clicking on the play icon near the tracks.
With QOBUZ (but also TIDAL) some tracks appear not to be available in all regions. We fixed it by not-blocking playback if a certain track is not found.

Primo 2.851
Qobuz : Premuim Studio

Some album can’t be played ‘Simple pleasure’ by ‘Tindersticks’. messge :

Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioReplaceandPlayItems
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreStateMachine::ClearQueue
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreStateMachine::stop
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: UNSET VOLATILE
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CorePlayQueue::clearPlayQueue
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CorePlayQueue::saveQueue
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushState
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: volumiodiscovery , saveDeviceInfo
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushQueue
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CoreStateMachine::addQueueItems
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: CorePlayQueue::addQueueItems
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: Adding Item to queue: qobuz://album/0073145463722
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: Exploding uri qobuz://album/0073145463722 in service qobuz
Nov 11 14:41:13 volumio-primo volumio[1267]: info: An error occurred while exploding URI:

First, really nice group!

Then, how do you find this album? I searched for it but can’t find it …

selected by Qobuz :

or search too

from Qobuz webplayer, hard to find, need to select ‘in name’

Thanks for those super useful reports. We are investigating on those as we speak.
We were ready to release today, but we will fix those issues and then do a proper release :wink:

I’ve just updated to 2.852 and while clicking on the play button to the left of tracks in Tidal now does something it still doesn’t work properly.

The way I would expect it to behave is that it would only add the song clicked on to the playback queue.

But instead it clears the queue, adds all songs from the tracks section of Tidal to the playback queue (which takes about 20 seconds as there are hundreds of songs in my tracks list in Tidal) and then starts playback not of the song I selected, but the one after it. :slight_smile:

On the other hand clicking the 3 dot icon to the right of a song in tracks and choosing play clears the playback queue, queues only the selected song and begins playback, and does this very quickly. This is what I would expect the play icon beside a song to do.

Other things noticed in 2.852 -

Qobuz “My Tracks” still missing the sort order options which Tidal “Tracks” has.

Unplayable Qobuz songs are still not automatically skipped for example Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder (2019 Remix) [Live] mentioned earlier - if I attempt to queue the album for playback it simply stops at the first unplayable track without any error or explanation however the playable tracks will play if I explicitly jump to them. (However there are no tags to know which are playable and which are not like there is in the Qobuz app)

The pop up context window when clicking on the three dots to the right of a song still doesn’t go away after you click on one of its options.

OK I restarted from scratch and I can now test last version.

Last night I searched for London Grammar in Qobuz. Their first two albums now show as hi-res. If I click either album to see the tracks, I get the red ‘Error No results’ flash.

Thanks for the feedbacks, again.
We are seeing lot of tracks not found, as you report.
We are delaying the release until we get it fixed

I’ve updated to 2.852.
Qobuz playlists still 50 tracks max.
Albums like London Grammar still give an error, but searching for and playing a track works. Then using three dots menu and selecting Album still does not show the album it’s playing from.

Just noticed that Tidal EP & Singles is now visible in My Volumio for the first time. :smile:

This was a show stopper for me so I’m really glad to see this implemented now as I seem to have many Artists with a large chunk of their music categorised as EP & Singles by Tidal.

I’m still having the skip issue after pause. Am I the only one experiencing this?
Put song on pause; wait 20min+; press play - song continues for some time (20-30 sec?) then it skips to next song in the queue.

Edit: Also what DBMandrake said - the new listings are much better :smiley:

Yes this happens to me as well, thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten about this bug, however I’d like to point out that this problem has actually been there from the very beginning of My Volumio even with the old Tidal and Qobuz implementation - it’s not a new bug.

I don’t know for certain the cause but I have a reasonable idea of what it probably is. As far as I know, when a Tidal/Qobuz client requests a song for playback the server gives the client a unique URL for that song for that user for that particular play of the song.

In other words the URL’s for the actual song data are generated on the fly and are unique to the user requesting to play them and they time out after a certain period of time, presumably the playback time of the song plus a bit.

This would be to avoid having static URL’s for songs which could be discovered and then shared online facilitating piracy. (As they’re just unprotected flac files without DRM…) If the URL’s time out soon after the playback time of the song they can’t be shared online as they will be expired by the time others found them.

So what is probably happening is that when you pause the song the playback client (mpd ?) is not buffering ahead to the end of the song, but only part of the song. During the 20 minutes the song was paused the transient URL for the song expires at the Tidal/Qobuz server so when you resume playback it can only play what it had left in the buffer and then playback ends prematurely because the URL is no longer valid, so the remainder of the song cannot be streamed.

Probably the only easy solution for this would be to have the playback client continue to keep streaming and buffering the song in the background when paused until the end of the song is reached, so that the entire song is buffered in memory or on disk before the URL expires.

This would be easy for regular 3-8 minute songs but might be problematic in terms of buffer space for very long songs (Progressive rock with 20-30 minute long tracks at 192/24 :slight_smile: ) unless disk cache was used as well.

Hopefully the devs can come up with a good solution for this problem.

another, more complex option, that requires some knowledge about the lifetime of the generated URL. Either its time-of-life can be discovered through the API or the documentation or is just guessed like length-of-song*(fix value).

• when the user presses pause, a counter starts

• when play is pressed, the system calculates if the URL is still valid

• if true, the song continues to play

• if false, a dialog appears “Do you want to start the song from the beginning or skip to the next song” Button 1 “Start from beginning of song”
    Button 2 “Skip to next song”

Thanks DbMandrake, this is exactly what happens.
Fixing this bug is on our todo list and we will do like that :

• When we pause, we will store the expiration time
  • if resumed and expiration time is passed, we will request another stream url and seek to current position

It will take some time to do though, so it won’t happen in this release

1 Like